• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Poll: Is JT the problem at PG.

ATLien_

I vote nay to Jt being the problem at PG. Here is why. The problem is and will always be a lack of ballhandlers on the team. The reason Wilks can look decent at PG is because Jt is on the court. This is so obvious to me, but hey maybe I am a idiot.

IMO Jt is still running the Point. All wilks does is bring it over the halfcourt then defers to JT to get offense going. Jt is still leading the team in assist. The one thing I will say is that JT is more aggresive when he thinks he is playing SG. So if we have to tell JT he is a SG for him to play this way then so be it. I'll call him whatever he wants as long as he stays aggresive on both ends.

I think hes average but dickau is better at it. JT is a scorer and when hes at the point theres much more to think and decide about. dickau makes better decisions and has a better eye on things since he doesn't really need to score if JT is around. Just let JT score so he doesn't need to worry about pging.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

I vote nay to Jt being the problem at PG. Here is why. The problem is and will always be a lack of ballhandlers on the team.

How many other PGs require ballhandlers to initiate the offense for them. I'm not talking about somebody to dribble and pass. I'm talking about a guy who can come in and Initiate the offense.

I've never seen Kidd or Davis or Miller or any better than average PG come in and Need another to initiate the offense like JT needs or any PG that defers the PG role like JT does.

JT is a really good player. Just not a good PG. He doesn't possess the mentality that a PG needs. There are some PGs who sometimes play like SG. Those would include Cassell and Payton. However, even those guys can get back into a PGs mentality. Look at Cassell's first 2 yrs with the Rockets? Look at GPs yrs of playing with Rainman.

And Yes, those players (Not Cassell) do have capable Ballhandlers on the floor with them, but neither of them defer their responsibility to run the offense. That's JT's failure. Reason being is that JT is a 2.

Asking JT to play PG is LIke asking Alan Houston to play PG.

Houston can do it, but it won't be pretty.

I think we all concur that JT will never be Jason Kidd, a John Stockton or even a Mike Bibby for that matter. However he is not the equivalent as putting Alan Houston at PG.

All we are saying that when JT has to play PG he gets the job done. It could be better but the job is done. It is not exactly the problem the Hawks are having. When you put any of our reserve PG's on the floor they are in a better situation because you add another option for them. I mean I think if you put DG in at point he would be better than JT. I think he would show the same results as DD or maybe even MW. Just think about how much better you have it when you have 4 other players to give it up to as appose to 2. I say 4 because when JT is a threat for scoring it makes the defense Honest. Which makes that 5 spot that much more effective?

• Premium Member

You say JT is not the equivalent of Houston.

However, why is it that Dickau and Wilks (2 rookies) run the offense much more fluidly than JT?

Even with JT on the bench.

This was also the case last season with Vaughn. Vaughn ran the offense better. At the end of the season, JT came along, but that was aided by Toni off the bench.

JT is not even a good Combo gaurd. He's just a 2 plain and simple. IF we come to that conclusion, then we can find a fix. However, if we keep coming up with things like... JT needs another ball handler... We are still refusing to see the truth.

When I see JT, I see a Short Houston.

Here's the defining question.... IF YOU ANSWER THIS HONESTLY, YOU WILL SEE MY POINT AND AGREE...

If JT was 6'8" and could gaurd SGs" would you still try to use him as a PG or would you conceed that he was a SG?

Just because he's 6'1 doesn't mean that he's automatically a PG. He doesn't have that mentality and struggles when he is made to play there.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

Diesel If Jt was 7'2 300lbs I would make him a center. He is what he is. He has his qualities and his flaws.

Size doesn't always dictate what HE IS... It's those qualities that you have stuck on the backburner that Dictates. Thinking like yours would have Dictated that Magic Johnson play PF... However, it's those Qualities that you forgot that made him one of the best PGs to ever play.

JT is able to dribble, but he:

1. Has no floor vision.

2. Does have the ability to anticipate what his man is going to do.

3. Doesn't read defenses well.

4. Until Last yr, couldn't break a press.

These are things that any average PG must be able to do. However, Terry can't.

Just because he's 6'1 doesn't mean he's a PG. How many fast break points do the Hawks get when JT is running the PG? NONE.... That's a very good indicator of what kind of PG we have.

JT is a SG, plain and simple. Is that bad? Not really. He's a darn good SG. What Stotts has to do now is build a zone defense to hide JT's weakness' at Sg... I suggest a 2=1=2... Then find a backcourt mate who can handle the responsibility of running the offense and allow JT to be a SG. Dickau is the future... However for this season....trying to reacquire Jacque Vuaghn might not be a bad idea. Glover for Vaughn?

There's also Eric Snow. There's also Tinsley...

Thinking like yours would have Dictated that Magic Johnson play PF... However, it's those Qualities that you forgot that made him one of the best PGs to ever play.

Quite the contraire old mighty Diesel. You see we both agree we just don't see it the same way. The cup is half empty as well as half full.

Somewhere some coach saw that Magic had qualities that superseded his size. The coach then in fact did as I suggest our coach do. Remember what I said. "The coach needs to figure them out and use them to the team’s advantage." That’s what Magic's coach did he saw where his talent was and used it to the teams advantage. Remember in some situations Magic's talent allowed him to become a center. That is what our coach needs to do. Find JT's strong point and put him in the possition that would best help our team.

I thought thats why they got rid of Lon.

• Premium Member

In reply to:

"The coach needs to figure them out and use them to the team’s advantage." That’s what Magic's coach did he saw where his talent was and used it to the teams advantage. Remember in some situations Magic's talent allowed him to become a center. That is what our coach needs to do. Find JT's strong point and put him in the possition that would best help our team.

Not only strengths... But also Weaknesses.

Compile up JT's strengths.

He shoots well from outside.

He's fast.

He can break down a defense.

With that... Look at his weaknesses.

He makes bad decisions with the ball.

He can't initiate the offense.

He doesn't have good court vision.

If you forget that he's 6'1 for a moment... You would realize (just as Magic's coach did) that JT is a SG.