• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

SAR a true first option?

Diesel

• Premium Member

I was reading Mo Cheeks talking about Rasheed Wallace the other day. Cheeks said that Wallace is not a first option?? He cleaned it up by saying that Wallace likes to get his points in the flow of the game and it would not be "him" to have the offense dumped on him to run through him.

I thought about that and thought about reef.... My thought is this. IS Reef the same way? IF so, that's unfortunate. It's a fact that when Reef is our top scorer we win.

Thoughts?

True first options demand the basketball. Shareef doesn't do that.

He'd be a great fit in Houston where he'd be playing off Steve Francis.

I still support a trade that sends SAR to Houston for Eddie Griffin, Kelvin Cato, and a 1st round pick.

I hate to say I told you so but I told you so.I really

don't hate Reef.I KNOW HE COULD BETTER but he

isn't and it sorta pisses me off.

I feel we need to start over.Our first option is too

passive.The team has too many flaws to try and

keep this group together.

This team will go through another rebuilding process

no matter if people like it or not.

• Premium Member

It might not be totally bad if Reef is not a first option.

I mean, it works for Rasheed. Listening to Cheeks (who came to PTL with the intentions of making Wallace a first option) he said that Rasheed is able to score in the flow of the offense. i.e. When he's scoring go to him. But Like Reef, he doesn't demand the ball. As a team, I'm wondering is it better to make Grob first option... JT first option or to force SAR to be first option.

If we make Grob the first option, the coach has to emphasize to the PG to know how to get others into the flow of the game (like Sheed).

That's the problem. We don't have that kind of PG.

IN Short... If Grob is our first option. Our PG has to be to Grob what Doc Rivers was to Nique. Say what you want about Doc... Doc knew how to get the ball to Nique, but he also knew how to go away from Nique when he needed to.

Neither JT/.SAR or Puppy Dog are first options.Jt is

the closest one of the 3.Because he can hit the 3 or

get points in transition and has speed.

Neither Reef or Puppy Dog had speed or power with

their games.

A true first option doesn't need a point guard to know when to get him the ball. A point guard's job is to know when to ge the ball to the guys that aren't first options within the flow of the game.

New Jersey doesn't have a 1st option scorer, but Jason Kidd knows when to get the ball to Richard Jefferson, when to get it to Kerry Kittles, and when to get it to Kenyon Martin.

Back in Atlanta's heyday, they had a true point guard in Doc Rivers, but they also had the true go to guy in Dominique. It was a given that Dominique was going to get his 25-30 points per night. He didn't need help. All he needed was an isolation play. He took guys off the dribble, shot over them, posted them up, and scored in transition. He was the package and had the mentality.

The year Doc averaged 10+ assists per game, I would venture to say that most of those assists went to guys like Kevin Willis and Randy Wittman than it did to 'nique, and a lot came when the Hawks got on a fast break and played into transition.

Again, with Dominique, the team isolated him and used his ability to score. We don't have that type of player, which is why we DO need better point guard play.

Glen is a pure shooter. He's got a mid range game and can post up some, but he doesn't have an off the dribble game.

Shareef is just one of those players where you have to get him the ball in a position that he can score. He's not going to take anyone one on one, though he could.

Jason Terry is the closest thing to a one on one player this team has, and he should be the first option most of the time.

• Premium Member

Nique didn't play that much iso. We have a better freer system in the half court. For one, we were a fast break team (YES) in fact, I remember when Fast Eddie Johnson was the PG and we did a lot of fast breaking... BUt that was B.D. when we had what his name.

However, Nique scored on the break... But He didn't iso much in his hey day. It was the ball movement and the fact we had a good PG who could spot a cutter. That's back when our offense had Movement.

I agree that Big Dog doesn't have the dribbling abilty.