• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Regret from the past 2 drafts

Admin

2 years ago I supported taking Marvin because Bogut was gone. Truthfully I wanted Deron because I thought he was the next Jason Kidd. I never really wanted Paul and still don't. I felt that Marvin had a world of potential but I had never seen him actually impress me in a game. 2 years later I am still waiting to be impressed with him. I know that his hand is hurting him and he is still a very young player with enormous potential, but this franchise was put in a poor position because we passed up 2 PGs that could have filled the void for us for the next decade or so.

Then, this years draft comes. I was pulling for Roy from day 1 and while I didn't really dislike the pick of Shelden, I felt that passing on Roy might be the next major regret for this franchise. Shelden has been good in spurts and has made our defense and rebounding better without a doubt and he should be a big part of our future, but we missed the boat on Roy. While he has been compared to JJ in a favorable way by many, he has proven that he is damn near the equal of JJ already in his rookie year. This kid has the ability to really become something special. I honestly envy Portland for coming out of this draft with Aldridge, Roy, and Sergio. That could turn out to be the best 3 picks by a team in 1 year in NBA draft history.

Anyways, I'm sure I will get bashed by many and ignored by many others for this post ... but it sure is frustrating seeing a few guys who could be major difference makers on this team being that for someone else.

• Premium Member

I agree about having regrets over the past few drafts. I know hindsight is 20/20, but those draft choices would have made us a playoff team for the next few years. Instead, we have what we have now and we have to live with it. But cheer up! We won't have a lottery pick in this year's draft so there'll be no regrets this time next season over how we screwed THAT draft up. grin.gif

...BK made them? Dolfan, I know you weren't behind them 100% but why agree with them at all? They were both obviously poor moves for this franchise and team at the time.

BTW, It should be entirely the other way around when it comes to BK! A heaping ladel of skepticism by the owners might save us any further disaster. When BK says "we should make a promise to draft SW's a month before the draft", ownership should jaw-drop and ask "Why in hell would we ever want to do that?". They might want to tack on "numbskull" at the end for effect.

Seriously, I haven't seen so much "he has a wisdom that transcends our knowing" since church and this GM has done NOTHING to deserve such blind faith and everything to undermine it. Generally, when I hear such crap veiled in the framework of "hope" or "faith"...usually followed by "patience"...outside a church I wonder what kind of train wreck is about to happen.

Quote:

2 years ago I supported taking Marvin because Bogut was gone. Truthfully I wanted Deron because I thought he was the next Jason Kidd. I never really wanted Paul and still don't. I felt that Marvin had a world of potential but I had never seen him actually impress me in a game. 2 years later I am still waiting to be impressed with him. I know that his hand is hurting him and he is still a very young player with enormous potential, but this franchise was put in a poor position because we passed up 2 PGs that could have filled the void for us for the next decade or so.

I honestly envy Portland for coming out of this draft with Aldridge, Roy, and Sergio. That could turn out to be the best 3 picks by a team in 1 year in NBA draft history.

I would have been elated with Roy and Sergio. Those were my two favorite players/value picks on board. The fact that Portland tacked on Aldridge was gravy. Yes, Portland didn't promise someone like SW they'd pick him so they had flexibility come draft day. Then they made bold moves that will begin to pay off big by next year.

Quote:

Anyways, I'm sure I will get bashed by many and ignored by many others for this post ... but it sure is frustrating seeing a few guys who could be major difference makers on this team being that for someone else.

I just don't understand why people practically invoke religion when defending a horrible GM. There is no room for faith in basketball. You do your homework, not pray.

W

Quote:

I agree about having regrets over the past few drafts. I know hindsight is 20/20, but those draft choices would have made us a playoff team for the next few years. Instead, we have what we have now and we have to live with it. But cheer up! We won't have a lottery pick in this year's draft so there'll be no regrets this time next season over how we screwed THAT draft up.
grin.gif

...from the grave tomorrow with the JJ trade. Seriously, it's like BK works for whoever drafts behind us, Pheonix, or both.

I love JJ but watching Durant just kills me. The kid is amazing. Still, I'd settle for getting the last two drafts right even if it cost us this year's pick, than a better chance at keeping our pick and getting the last two draft picks as wrong as BK has.

W