• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Name a freshman who has dominated in a tough conf.

CBAreject

I'm struggling to think of the last freshman so impressive as Durant. Carmelo was awfully good, but even he did not put up the stats of Durant.

You who say we "don't need Durant" because we have Marvin (LOL) might just as well say we "don't need Carmelo". Obviously that's ludicrous.

#2 pick = draft Durant and TRADE MARVIN for the Crittenton pick.

Quote:

I'm struggling to think of the last freshman so impressive as Durant. Carmelo was awfully good, but even he did not put up the stats of Durant.

You who say we "don't need Durant" because we have Marvin (LOL) might just as well say we "don't need Carmelo". Obviously that's ludicrous.

#2 pick = draft Durant and TRADE MARVIN for the Crittenton pick.

Of course I also can see that for Oden.

You'd could take a considerable "loss" (meaning not top 2 pick worthy) trading MW and still come out so far ahead by drafting Durant. Not saying you'd have to take a loss, particularly if you traded MW on draft day. Before I go on is there any notion Crittenton would declare? Hard to tell this year with all the forced freshmen. If he is that would a coup. Otheriwise, trade MW+ for Thabeet if he falls to 5 or lower.

BTW, has anyone ever seen such long arms as Durant's? It's crazy to watch him dunk. So effortless. Yes, their thin, but they are knuckle draggers. I'm curious how he will measure out at the 'combine'.

• Premium Member

I think the test of Durant is what will he be able to do in the Tourney.

Until he gets in the tourney and do something, he can't be compared to Carmello Anthony, Allen Iverson, or Glenn Big Dog Robinson.

Honestly, those are 3 of the best college players in recent History.

Another guy to consider who didn't score as much but I would guess did everything much better as a freshman is Chris Bosh. I think you can make a direct comparison with those two because they are about the same size..

Quote:

I think the test of Durant is what will he be able to do in the Tourney.

Until he gets in the tourney and do something, he can't be compared to Carmello Anthony, Allen Iverson, or Glenn Big Dog Robinson.

...as a pro prospect. I believe he will be as good as Anthony or Iverson if not better without some of the headaches hopefully.

W

Quote:

I'd argue that if Marvin went to say Georgetown, instead of North Carolina, he'd probably would have put up big numbers as well.

Georgetown isn't Texas BTW.

MW's didn't average PPG in HS in the relatively weak northwest what Durant is averaging at Texas. Even if you prorate MW's UNC stats per 48 against the 2nd teamers he faced, Durant with CONSTANT double teams would have better PER stats. Your argument is laughable.

W

He might not have put up Durant's current numbers but he probably would have put up big numbers. I mean he was an elite prospect. It wasn't like her was some tier 4 prospect that just happened to end up in NC. I mean H.S. avgs dont mean all that much. Hell didn't Travis Best score 80 points in a game? Didn't Kevin Morris score like 30 points and avg 9 assists per game to win NYC H.S. player of the year? He ended his career playing in the Atlantic Sun conference by the way.

I like Durant alot but he is playing on a very young team that really isnt that good. If Aldridge and Gibson had stayed on another year they'd be an extremely good team but Durant's average would be way down to 18-20ppg. However, Durant probably would still be the first scoring option on that team, unlike Marvin on his team. The Bosh freshman year is probably as close a comparision as possible. I also like the fact that it's easy to see Durant fitting perfectly as a SF in the NBA. Marvin may be able to run fullcourt faster than Durant but otherwise I think Durant is just a little quicker and a decent amount longer with many more ways to score. Marvin has the prettier jumper but it has quit falling for now.

Quote:

He might not have put up Durant's current numbers but he probably would have put up big numbers. I mean he was an elite prospect.

MW would have been drafted after JR Smith, possibly before or after Martell Webster(?), had MW come out after HS. He was but the 5th-6th best HS prospect, none of which are as good as Durant or Oden are, which is primarily why he went to UNC. I don't see that as "elite" at all. I also see MW as 2 or 3 tiers below Durant, not just 1. 1 tier below Durant at best would be JS. I love Josh. He's my second favorite Hawk, but Durant is the truth.

Quote:

I mean H.S.
avgs
dont mean all that much.

They do when they as a HS senior hardly compare to Durant's as a college freshman.

Quote:

Hell didn't Travis Best score 80 points in a game?

Is that an average?

Quote:

Didn't Kevin Morris score like 30 points and avg 9 assists per game to win NYC H.S. player of the year?

Great. Now we know that Morris isn't as good as Durant is either.

What is your point again? That MW is better than Durant? You'd get laughed off any court by anyone with that.

W

• Premium Member

I think as a college player, all that still remains to be seen. He has a good start... but let's just wait until the tourney. There hasn't been anyone in college ball ever to do some of the things Mello Did. Especially when you consider that he took his team tot he championship... and was the man!

• Moderators

Quote:

I think as a college player, all that still remains to be seen. He has a good start... but let's just wait until the tourney. There hasn't been anyone in college ball ever to do some of the things Mello Did. Especially when you consider that he took his team tot he championship... and was the man!

Agreed. Melo had arguably the best freshman season in NCAA history.

• Premium Member

I agree here. Durant is the only guy. He has yet to show that he can make his teammates better. He's very similar to Big Dog at Purdue. A guy who is great at hitting shots and excels because he's the only marquee guy there.

I also said that he compares well to Bosh Simply because they both had strong freshmen years. I think Bosh was a little bit bigger and he didn't have as much range on his shot, but other than that... it's a very interesting comparison.

I don't think Johnny Bravo was saying Marvin would have put up Durant-like numbers, he was just saying Marvin would have put up "big" numbers. In college, that can mean something like 16 ppg and 8 rpg. Those would be great numbers for a freshman.

What Durant's been doing is incredible. As a HS prospect, I was convinced this was a perimeter focused scrawny prima donna. I now realize that this kid is an incredible all-around talent not afraid to scrap all over the floor and do the little things as well as the big things.

The most recent guy who made a freshman impact like this in a goo conference was Hansbrough, who doesn't have the polish or the specific talents that Durant has, but he was one of the best freshman I've ever watched.

There's simply no comparison between Durant and Marvin. Durant's ranking as a HS player went back and forth at #1 with Oden throughout their careers, mostly favoring Oden, but Durant was clearly a trancendental type prospect similar to Oden.

This draft class is far greater in depth and quality at the top than the Bogut-Marvin class. It ain't even close.

Quote:

He's very similar to Big Dog at Purdue. A guy who is great at hitting shots and excels because he's the only marquee guy there.

Because unlike Big Dawg, Durant is an absolute game changer defensively as well. He plays twice as hard as Big Dawg ever did as well. Durant excells because he's more talented on both sides of the ball and he works harder than Big Dawg. Just unbelievable to watch.

W

Quote:

Quote:

He might not have put up Durant's current numbers but he probably would have put up big numbers. I mean he was an elite prospect.

MW would have been drafted after JR Smith, possibly before or after Martell Webster(?), had MW come out after HS. He was but the 5th-6th best HS prospect,

Webster was a high schooler during Marvin's freshman year. But yeah Marvin would have been taken after Howard, Livingston, Smith, Telfair, Swift, JR Smith, Al Jefferson and probably Dorell Wright had he come out after high school in the 04 draft..

Quote:

Webster was a high schooler during Marvin's freshman year. But yeah Marvin would have been taken after Howard, Livingston, Smith, Telfair, Swift, JR Smith, Al Jefferson and probably Dorell Wright had he come out after high school in the 04 draft..

MW was just another prospect in the back of that pack. I believe Durant would have been drafted ahead of all of those players including Howard.

W

Back of the pack? That is kind of extreme is it. Y'all are acting like Marvin was some kind of stiff who came out of nowhere.

But in any event you never can tell with prospects. I am guessing that if Louis Williams goes to GA or Monte Ellis goes to LSU, they'd put up the same numbers that Durant is putting up also. IMO they were better H.S. players. In fact, OJ Mayo will be better than them all.