• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The Deals....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Being that it's time to look at what we got and figure out what we need to do... Let's make some realistic looks at this team.

I hear everyone saying Trade Reef, Trade Big Dog.

Well, RIght now, Big Dog doesn't have much value. Unless somebody is willing to trade him for Hill (who may not play again) or Some player that is a True Bust... There's no need to talk trading Big Dog.

Trading Reef is also not a good idea. Reef has value but Reef would be better if we made the team better. What kind of Value does Reef have? He'd get us a deal like Kenny Anderson/Radmo. Or Fizer/Crawford/Erob.. However I think he's worth more to us than he can get us back.

But we do have tradable people.

Again..

Theo to San Antonio for Smitty/1st. Great move to Create Cap Space.

We could also get away with:

Grob/Theo/Glover to Philly for DC/Van Horn/1st(?). Reason being is that Philly is looking for a Solid C. They have actually started to like DC... Because he can play better than Tmac&cheese but also, they want his cap space too. They plan on making a bid in the summer if they can get an ending contract or two. I wouldn't be surprised to see them bid for GP Van Horn/Snow for GP/Filler? But Brown is disappointed with Van Horn. I read somewhere the quote "soft as butter". He'd kill for Theo back I presume.

But going with the idea of Smitty/1st for Theo.

The Follow up move is a trade all...

Glover and 2 1st (INdy & 2005) for Kwame Brown.

If we trade Theo.. This is the trade. I mean, we likely can't afford a first rounder anyway. AND Kwame will be good.

Kwame/SAR/Big Dog/Smitty/Terry...

Wait.

Then there's Terry. We have been doing a lot of changing and rearranging to try to include Terry.

I would trade him.

I would use his value to get rid of Hendu.

IF we're talking mainly Capspace...

Terry/Hendu for Mason/Anderson. It helps both teams. Then we can begin changing this team:

Kwame/Nazr

SAR/Ham

Big Dog/Ira/CC

Smitty/Mason/Glover

Dickau/Anderson

In the off season... We relieve Glover/Ira. We resign Anderson/Smitty. We figure out what to do with Mason/DJ.

It's simple,there is no need to keep Puppy Dog and

Reef on a team that is going to rebuild.Neither help

you win games....Puppy Dog will be 31 next year?Not

really what you want on a rebuilding team.

We need to build a team that is exciting and can win.

Reef is a nice player at 8 million.But he isn't worthy

of his price tag...ESP on a rebuilding team.There is

NO REASON to keep either one.How much worse can

we be without them?Atleast bad enough to get young

players to build a future.

• Premium Member

We have good pieces. We should know from the Nique Exodus that Good Pieces are hard to replace. However, we have to get players around SAR and Big Dog that make sense. First off, to try and clutter our team with defensive players that don't score is a waste.

I.e. It doesn't make sense to get an Ira on the team. #1 because Ira is Ty Corbin Jr. #2 because Ira's defensive contribution doesn't help the team 1 Iota. With 2 guys like SAR and Big Dog, we need a scoring team. Also we need a Banger at C. Theo is NOT a Banger. I would rather get a Brendan Heywood, Kwame Brown, or one of these Big Bodied 7 footers who will actually bring home about 10-12 rpg. I think a really good fit for our needs is Khandi man. I would trade Theo/JT to LAL for Khandi/Maggette. and not lose any sleep. Right now, LAC is begging for someone who can drain an outside shot.

Second. Why not play Zone? Yes, Shareef is not a great defender. Yes Big Dog is not a great defender. BUT.. IF we got our offensive minded team together a great defense for us is a zone. I'm not saying we will become all world defense. However, Zone will cover up enough of our defensive flaws for us to outscore teams.

Third. Dickau for PG. He has the tools to be a good PG. Moreover, I will number JT days here. It's too difficult finding a place for JT on a team where we already have a problem being undersized. JT is a very good SG, he just needs the right situation. I won't trade JT for anything. Worst case scenerio we keep JT and let him run SG... For a while. However, I wouldn't suggest that be a long term deal.

Fourth. Theo's got to go. He's not a banger and he doesn't provide us with enough rebounds. There are othre teams that Theo can be apart of and he would totally rule. However, Atl is not one.

We were up in the 9 in the 4th when Stotts went to that [censored] zone and CHI caught fire and we never recovered. We played like passive little sissies in the Zone. It was [censored] near a 20 point swing while we were in that zone. In addition, Reef is an even worse zone defender than man to man defender because he NEVER gives help on time. He is a big reason that teams feel like they can just waltz down the lane at any time for a layup. All a player has to do is get by our guards and they get a free pass to the basket, particularly from Reef. At least Big Dog will help and get a block every 5 games or so, Reef rarely makes good decisions on help D.

You need to realize you can't build your team around

SAR.He's not that good of a player simple as that.19/8

blah blah...he doesn't play with intensity and alot of

his points comes after we are down 12-15 points.We

never control the pace of the game...He doesn't carry

a team and a player like Puppy Dog you can't build a

team around these guys.It didn't work with Reef in

Vancouver and it has showed no signs of working

here.He is of the Juwan Howard mold.In fact I doubt

his numbers are that far below Reef's this year.

Reefs contributions to the NBA thus far haven't met

much.People don't give a [censored] about stats on a

bad team.

Ship him to a team that can use him as third option

because that is what he is.We need a REAL star.

If we could get the right guy in here so that Reef could be his side kick (like Pippen was to Jordan) he be a lot better. The truth is that he is our best and most consistent player. You can pretty much count on his 20/8. He is just not good enough to carry us. I don't know if trading him is the answer but if we were to trade him, he'd bring back FAR more than any other player on our roster. I would not trade him for an ending contract though (obviously that doesn't include Kidd, Duncan, J. O'Neal, GP, etc) unless that ending contract included a high lottery pick or another quality young player.

I'm now at the point where I can barely watch our games and I really dont wanna even use my tickets this Friday and see us get killed, but I still think we are just a few players away from being solid. I agree with the scoring team concept and I know a team has to play defense but it seems to me what is getting us beat is our offense shuts down and THEN our defense gets worse as we get frustrated or burnt after breakaway turnovers.

I think our big weakpoint is BigDog disrupting what little offensive flow we have and then we put in Ham and he just plain has no offense. I know we're just about stuck with BigDog so I'd like to see something that kept the ball outta his hands more and Ham stuck way down on the bench. The trade you Diesel mentioned that would bring us Kenny Anderson at the point and Desmond Mason at SG/SF would do that. We'd be an exciting team, especially next year with DJ back. I'd hate to lose Terry but it really just hasnt worked out. Now we just gotta convince Seattle!!

• Admin

That makes us better should be considered. I, like you I think, am not for just blowing up this team. I think we still have some solid pieces to build around. Just this particular mix isn't working out.

Come up with some trades that make us better. I'm not concerened about just freeing up cap space. We aren't going to get duncan, kidd or anyone like that. So having money to spend doesn't matter to me.

• Premium Member

Reef needs a C who can bang and a PG who can make plays. BUT NOT A SUPERSTAR.

Sorta like Chris Webber. Webber was considered the same as Reef until he got into the right mix of talent. Well, I believe that these are the things that Reef needs.

Theo is a bad mix for Reef. Theo is undersized and not a good rebounder.

JT is not the PG for Reef. JT doesn't know how to make plays. Sure he can get assists on some occassions, but the PG position is too much for him.

Might as well face facts that Big dog is here.

If I were to put together a Hawks team with some of the pieces we have and add some new pieces that would make the team work:

Kwame Brown

SAR

Big Dog

Brent Barry

Dan Dickau.

Here's why these pieces work:

Brown is a Physical C. A guy who can bang and would get boards. A guy who would easily get a double double every night (with the right coaching). Plus he's athletic.

Barry. Barry is a Big SG who can be a ball handler but mainly can drain the open shot.

Dickau. Dickau will be a playmaker in this league. He's getting accoustomed to the speed of this game.

So how do we get there?

Theo/Filler (Glover) to Seattle for Barry/Anderson

Seattle needs a Big Man to compete in the west. Theo can go in and play PF for that team. Add a defensive presence. Barry could be the odd man out in Seattle anyway. They need to make way for Mason.

JT/1st to Washington for Brown. This trade works because once Jordan is gone... Stack can move to the three and Hughes and JT can play Backcourt. They will be a high octane Team.

Dickau/Anderson

Barry/Ira/

Big dog/Ham

SAR/Hendu

Kwame/Nazr

The excuses for Reef needs to stop.Every year

there is a different excuse.You can't make excuses

for a guy that doesn't give full effort every

game.YOU CAN'T BUILD YOUR TEAM AROUND

SAR...HE'S NOT A GOOD ENOUGH PLAYER.

Sorta like Chris Webber. Webber was considered the same as Reef until he got into the right mix of talent. Well, I believe that these are the things that Reef needs.

Reef isn't even CLOSE to Webber.No even close.

Webber is a better scorer,rebounder,defender and

Sactown won games WITHOUT HIM last year.

Reef is not the same player....Not half the passer

or rebounder.Heck Reef has only toped 10RPG one

season.

Reef is a third or fourth option a good team.Dan

Dickau isn't going to make him play with intensity

EVERY GAME.It doesn't matter who you bring in

here....nobody can motivate Reef besides him.

Face it,he doesn't bring his game every night and

you can't build your team around that kinda guy.

Hotlanta...did you ride the small bus to schoo. Reef is not the problem. If we had an orchestrated offense which featured him, there is little doubt he would average Webber type numbers. However, he does - unlike Jordan, Kobe or TMac - need a point guard to get him the ball in proper post position. Shareef would average 25-10 with Stockton if he entered the league at the same time. There is little doubt about that. What you fail to realize is that Webber without the Kings - Kidd without the Nets - these are both examples of players who needed others to form their legacy. With a true point guard and a pure shooter, I have no doubt Reef could average 25-10-5 and lead this team to the playoffs. The problem is that we currently pay three NBDL players to fill our NBA roster. That will not work - and worst of all, people think we have a plethora of talent but no leader. Reef may not be a Jordan-esque leader, but put 3 NBDL players (who play 20+ minutes) on any team in the league and watch how they perform. Shareef could be a true NBA leader; however, he can not do it by himself. He needs to lead a team who believes in synergy. WIthout five players working as one, this team WILL struggle. And WITH leading those five players, we can win. Just give him a chance. GIVE him the ball 50% of the time and surround him with people who move without the ball; who shoot the ball efficiently; and who are accountable on defense. Reef is not a vocal general; however, like Stonewall Jackson, he leads by example. Give him followers and I will give you a winning organization. The problem is that we play as individuals.

I really like Reef, but he does not have the court vision/ passing abilities of Webber. That being said, he shoots a little better than CWebb, has more range, though lacks slightly in athleticism.

That is a VERY weak defensive team and while Kwame Brown has the potential to be a very good player, he is NOT physical and he is no more a true center than Theo is.

Kwame is a PF. In addition, while I wouldn't consider him soft, I certainly wouldn't consider him physical or a "banger." The guy won't even lift weights despite the fact that everyone tells him that he needs to get stronger.

And Collins is the problem as his coach? I don't think so. Kwame had had NUMEROUS opportunities to step up, he has just not done what he needs to do well enough on a consistent basis. He still has a lot of potential because he's still young but Collins isn't his problem.

As for Barry, if we traded Theo for him (I doubt I would), I'd keep JT and the pick (I assume you mean the pick we got from Indy). There are several reasons for that:

1) I don't know if the Wizards would trade Brown for JT and a pick when JT will be a FA at the end of the season. They could end up losing JT to another team in free agency (San Antonio or Seattle) and then all they would have to show for their former #1 pick would be Indy's pick (which will be in the 20's).

2) I think Barry and JT would form a formidable back court tandem. Why would you trade for Barry and not at least TRY him with JT when almost everyone on the board agrees that he is the type of SG who would be a perfect backcourt mate for JT?

3) Kwame Brown's best position is PF. Why bring him here with Reef still there? I don't think Kwame will be nearly as effective at Center as he will be at PF.

Besides, IF (big if) I were going to trade JT/1st for Kwame, I would NOT trade Theo for Barry. I would look to move Reef or Big Dog and play Kwame at PF. Kwame and Theo fit together pretty well up front.

As for Webber versus Reef, Webber is CLEARLY better. Watch the game Friday night. Reef might even finish with the better stats but I think it will be pretty obvious who is better.

Walker/Webber are triple double threats....Reef is

just a scorer(normally after we are down by alot

of points)his rebounding and blocking are going

downhill.He doesn't even average half a block.