• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The rumor mill...

Diesel

• Premium Member

There's lots o talk in the rumor mill about GP being traded. Some have him going to Indy.....

One interesting trade from Indy was Miller, Tinsley, Filler to Seattle for GP. For a moment, it made sense. GP gives Indy a real shot. And the Sonics have Tinsley next yr... But.... I doubt it.

However, then the thought started to churn in my mind.

Would we send SAR/Dickau to Seattle for GP/Radmo Straight?

I think Seattle would do it.

Potapenko/SAR/Lewis would be a good frontcourt.

GP/JT would be a nice Backcourt for us.

However, there's talk of GP going to Minn. Indy. and Philly?

It will be interesting to see what Seattle does with GP.

I've been thinking about this deal for days. I'd do it. GP is getting older but he's still the 2nd best PG in basketball. He has at least 3 or 4 good seasons left in him after this year. He and JT are pretty close so he would probably resign here.

GP/Wilks

JT/Glover/Benjamin

Dog/Ira/Ham

Theo/Radmanovic

Nazr/Hendu

Or we could start Radmanovic or Hendu at PF. That lineup would win more games than we are winning right now.

Even if GP didn't resign, Radmanovic is a good young player and he makes about one tenth of Reef's salary. In a couple of years, Hendu and Theo would come off the books and we could have some real cap room.

I just don't think what we have right now is working. As soon as I say that, watch us go out and beat the Kings tonight!

I don't trust anyone, especially a "star" to sign with this team in the offseason as a free agent. Therefore, short of drafts, I really think that if we can find a trade that works for us, do it...but not for a star in the last year of their contract.

The main reason is the uncertainty over whether Payton would resign with the team. The other is that Radmanovic hasn't proven anything, other than he's one of those players without a true position. Maybe he would become something if moved to the small forward position. I don't know. I just know that if Atlanta does that deal, they will be giving up a very good, al beit not great, player who is 26 years old and a young point guard with potential for a player that is 34, may not be here after a year, and an unknown player with potential in Radmanovic.

I just don't think trading Shareef for salary cap space is the way to go. He's a guy that we should be able to get equal value for. He's also only has 2 years left on his current contract. Why would we want to deal him for a player with a longer contract that will saddle us down the road?

That's why the Hawks need to be careful with what they do. Don't trade Shareef or Glenn for just anything. Don't mess around and saddle yourself with a long term contract when both of these players only have 2 years remaining on their current deals. Try to do something to make this thing work with them before doing that.

Now, I would be interested in the much talked about but unrealistic deal by Dennis Scott: Shareef and Glenn for Kevin Garnett.

As soon as I suggested we should trade Reef for GP, I figured we'd beat the Kings. Then the following night against CLE, Reef had a good game and hit the game-tying shot to send the game into OT.

I understand your concerns about GP resigning. I think that we would be able to get a good gauge regarding whether or not he would resign prior to making the deal because of his relationship with JT. If GP indicated that he probably rather go elsewhere after the season was over, I agree that we could do a LOT better or just do no trade at all. I think Radmanovic is a solid young player but giving up Reef for him and capspace could turn out to be a bad decision down the road.

I also agree with your take on the contract situation. I hadn't really looked at it before you said that but 05/06 could be the year we turn it all around. Currently, the only player we have signed beyond 04/05 is Nazr (he is only signed through 05/06). We could have an unbelievable amount of caproom for 05/06 as long as JT is the only guy we sign long term next year. Maybe we should sign JT to a REASONABLE long term contract at the end of the year and not sign any other FAs we pickup next year beyond 04/05. We could have the money to sign two max FA's in 05/06. Kobe, Ray Allen, AI, Antoine Walker and several other All Stars will be FAs then and we could also try to resign some of our own guys. I certainly would like to win before then but the talent we are putting on the floor now is not bad, we just need to try to find the right combination from within the group in order to be competitive. If we keep Benjamin around, we might be okay.