• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

insider on terry

codyatl

Hawks still shopping Terry?

Hawks GM Pete Babcock acknowledged Tuesday that he's still looking to make a deal before the trading deadline. On his shopping list? A true point guard and some defensive help. So where does that leave Jason Terry?

Jason Terry

Guard

Atlanta Hawks

2002-2003 SEASON STATISTICS

GM PPG RPG APG FG% FT%

45 17.6 3.3 7.3 .410 .877

"[Terry] has improved and is doing a good job," Babcock told the Atlanta Journal Constitution. "We're a team that has committed a lot of turnovers, but those turnovers have come from our forwards, not our point guard. Jason has kept his turnovers at [3.2] a game."

While no one in Atlanta wants to trade Terry, he may be their only asset that can fetch an impact player in return. And for all of the praise, privately the team still does not believe he's the long-term answer at point guard. Unless they find a way to land a big, physical point guard that allows Terry to play at the two, he may have to go.

The challenge will be in getting equal value in return. Right now, the word around the league is that Babcock is try to package Terry with some dead weight -- someone like Alan Henderson, Nazr Mohammed or Theo Ratliff. If the Hawks aren't going to win, ownership wants them under the luxury tax threshold. The Hawks likely would have to move about $4 million in salaries off the books to escape paying the tax this season.

• Premium Member

Unless we move a lot of Salary?

I'm talking Theo. The Theo to DC trade might not be so bad if we get picks out of the deal!

What if thats all Babcock was left with.

Theo to Philly for DC and a first and a second?

I think DC would really work beside SAR if he came to play. He's a good rebounder. I think that next season, we cut DC and resign JT and use those picks to go after Cs.

The other thing is this.

Hendu has a player option. Does anyone think that Hendu would use his player option, and renegotiate a less money, longer deal? Something that starts at about 4 million?

Did you mean,

No way we keep Terry or meaning that you want him to stay here in Atlanta. I was a bit confuse with that line.

I know you said we cut DC and resign JT, but maybe I understood your subject wrong.

Of course I agree in keeping JT. He was really hurting last night, he wasnt pressuring Eisley and lately he has been putting constant pressure on the opposing PG's. Last night he was really hurting, he wasn't even running like he normally does, he was hitting some jumpers. I think with a healthy JT, we could of pulled it off last night.

In reply to:

[Right now, the word around the league is that Babcock is try to package Terry with some dead weight -- someone like Alan Henderson, Nazr Mohammed or Theo Ratliff.

Interesting how things change. Back when the Deke deal was made, Babcock was hailed as the GM of the Year for pulling off what at the time appeared to be the swindle of the century. Now all of a sudden Nazr and All-Star Theo are considered dead weight that has to be packaged away with JT.

And how about Hendu, who had once again fooled everyone in November. Lost in the shuffle of the team's collapse is his drop in play, particularily his rebounds.

• Premium Member

What I'm saying is that Logistically, it would be impossible for us to resign Terry if we still have the contracts of:

Hendu, GRob, SAR, Theo, CC, Nazr, and DJ on board.

Terry might be looking for about a 5 million dollar starting salary.

What that really means is that One of our high money players will have to be sacrificed if we want to keep Terry.

MY suggestion was Theo to Philly for DC, 1st, 2nd. It's very fair. They get Theo whom they need. We get Capspace and a mid first. I'm not too impressed by the first but this is the chance to keep JT.

Other thoughts are these.

Theo/Grob to Toronto for Hakeem, Davis, and Mo Pete.

Theo/JT to Miami for Jones/1st.

• Premium Member

I hadn't checked those salaries.. Just a thought I had. The question is would Toronto want it. Basically, Grob/Theo for Davis/Mo Pete?

Truth is that Davis' best yrs are behind him. Mo Pete's are in front.

For me, it fulfills some requirements. We get a banger next to Reef. We get Salary cap relief. We get a SF who can score and play defense.

Atlanta trades: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 37.8 minutes)

C Theo Ratliff (7.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 29.4 minutes)

Atlanta receives: C Hakeem Olajuwon (7.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 29.4 minutes)

PF Antonio Davis (13.4 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.9 minutes)

SF Morris Peterson (15.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.0 apg in 37.7 minutes)

Change in team outlook: +0.1 ppg, -1.9 rpg, and +0.3 apg.

Toronto trades: C Hakeem Olajuwon (7.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 29.4 minutes)

PF Antonio Davis (13.4 ppg, 7.8 rpg, 1.9 apg in 34.9 minutes)

SF Morris Peterson (15.3 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 2.0 apg in 37.7 minutes)

Toronto receives: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 7.2 rpg, 2.9 apg in 40 games)

C Theo Ratliff (7.8 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 0.7 apg in 44 games)

Change in team outlook: -0.1 ppg, +1.9 rpg, and -0.3 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

You have been assigned Trade ID number 900808

Though the trade really puts Toroto in salary cap [censored], they're already there, with guys like A Williams, Vince, and JYD signed to long term deals recently.

The trade would make them a better team, particularly on offense. They'd become incredibly similar to the previous Bucks...except they'd have a presence on the inside in Theo. Williams isn't quite the scorer that Cassell is, but I think he's a better pure pg (very slightly). Carter, if healthy, is better and much more multi-faceted than Allen..

They simply lose the contrat ending bonus of Hakeem...but in doing so, I don't think that it brings them out of salary cap [censored], and they'd have a much better team on the floor...plus, if Vince goes down, at least they can field a semi-respectable team and GRob can do what he likes to do - be a focal point of the offense and team.