• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

The pick to Pheonix Remedy

Guest Walter

1) Let's assume that the pick we are to send to Pheonix comes to be approximately 6-10. Outside the seemingly really valuable picks.

2) Let's further assume that either Crittenton, Thabeet, and/or PERHAPS Collins (need to see more of him to decide) are on the board whenever the pick comes up. We can assume that with at least Crittenton and Thabeet that our Indy pick wouldn't be high enough to get either.

Why not push to trade an existing player or two in order to keep our pick? For example: noting that Pheonix has their own 29th overall pick and ours (if not top 3) and we have Indy's pick. We could trade Josh Childress/ZaZa for Kurt Thomas/our pick (say if it's 8-10). No bad contracts for either team. Maybe we add in Lue or AJ. We could even exchange our later picks to sweeten the deal, especially if getting our Pg is our aim by trading up.

Let's say we don't have to sweeten the deal, can keep our Indy pick, and Thabeet is available at 8-10. Here's the team next year...

Thabeet/Lo

JS/SW

MW/Jeremy Richardson (or someone)

JJ

Lue/Collison, Law, or James/AJ/Speedy

There are many ways to work this...include SW somehow, whatever, but I think Pheonix may be interested in winning now with Nash at his prime's end. The main point is, try and trade to keep the pick if Thabeet or Crittenton are available and not likely to fall enough to either trade up from the Indy pick (difficult to do) or select either of them at the Indy pick.

W

Quote:

1) Let's assume that the pick we are to send to Pheonix comes to be approximately 6-10. Outside the seemingly really valuable picks.

2) Let's further assume that either Crittenton, Thabeet, and/or PERHAPS Collins (need to see more of him to decide) are on the board whenever the pick comes up. We can assume that with at least Crittenton and Thabeet that our Indy pick wouldn't be high enough to get either.

Why not push to trade an existing player or two in order to keep our pick? For example: noting that Pheonix has their own 29th overall pick and ours (if not top 3) and we have Indy's pick. We could trade Josh Childress/ZaZa for Kurt Thomas/our pick (say if it's 8-10). No bad contracts for either team. Maybe we add in Lue or AJ. We could even exchange our later picks to sweeten the deal, especially if getting our Pg is our aim by trading up.

Let's say we don't have to sweeten the deal, can keep our Indy pick, and Thabeet is available at 8-10. Here's the team next year...

Thabeet/Lo

JS/SW

MW/Jeremy Richardson (or someone)

JJ

Lue/Collison, Law, or James/AJ/Speedy

There are many ways to work this...include SW somehow, whatever, but I think Pheonix may be interested in winning now with Nash at his prime's end. The main point is, try and trade to keep the pick if Thabeet or Crittenton are available and not likely to fall enough to either trade up from the Indy pick (difficult to do) or select either of them at the Indy pick.

W

I don't like that at all. First off the Pheonix pick at say 11 and the Indy at 18. You purpose to trade two in and will be in the rotation players for the 11 pick when we have the 18th. Javaris may or may not be available at 18. But I'd believe Law, Steele, Shakur, or James will be available at 18. fence3d.gif

Quote:

I don't like that at all. First off the Pheonix pick at say 11 and the Indy at 18. You purpose to trade two in and will be in the rotation players for the 11 pick when we have the 18th. Javaris may or may not be available at 18. But I'd believe Law, Steele, Shakur, or James will be available at 18.
fence3d.gif

Thabeet/Kurt Thomas and Collison/Law/or James (Indy pick) or ZaZa/JC and Collison/Law/or James (Indy pick)? Tabeet/Thomas vs JC/ZaZa.

That's precisely what it boils down to.

I'd definately rather have the later for our team. Thabeet solves our center problem. Kurt helps short term but goes off the books when JS inevitable new deal kicks in.

P.S. I forgot to put Kurt Thomas in my lineup.

Interesting idea, but I agree with the notion it might undervalue what we already have. Lets see if we can use that Indy pick to get an established post guy. I still have hopes for Gasol...But overall, the idea of trading up in the draft has merit.

Quote:

As long as we finish in the lottery we have a chance of keeping the top three pick from the drawing. Wouldn't need to be number one to help us out. Two or three would be a hell of a shot in the arm. Then use the Indy pick for whatever we didn't draft.

...unless by giving up your right to keeping the pick should it be a top 3 pick (should be place 8-10 worst) you gain quite a bit.

You put forth this deal earlier but you don't finalize this deal until draft day at that point where you can be certain either or both Thabeet or Crittenton will be available. Realize, you will not likely be able to work out these players as they will not likely work out for you given we wouldn't have a high enough pick to take them with. Crittenton might as he goes to GT. You can't hold not trying out for us against those players, something BK seemingly does too easily to the franchise's detriment.

If you really REALLY liked these two and were all but sure at least one would be available, I could see taking the risk early that one would be available where we'd pick with our (retained) pick.

I simply think that there are players in this draft that are not only better but far better suited for our team than JC. I'd consider this with MW, but of course, my hope for Thabeet is that we could play JS and MW together and MW would have to get us somehow more.

W

Walt,

Have to agree and I've been thinking the same thing. If Crit is on the board and you know you're getting him - I would pull the trigger. A huge reason for doing Chills in this deal is that his contract will be up soon - and moving his money will really help in signing Marvin and Solomon in '09. Short of the big 3 (JJ, JS, MW), I'd move any role player along with Chills in order to get this done. I like Chills, but we have to get serious about PG at some point. I'm no longer of the opinion that we HAVE to try and get the dominant 2-way big, primarily because it's just not likely that we can do so. I'd think we can get by with a defensive presence, if we have a legit top PG.

I wouldn't do it for anyone except Crittendon. He is a superstar in the making - he really has it all. Problem is, it doesn't really look like he's coming out to me. He's a serious student of the game and is very intent on continuing the GT point guard legacy. If he gets a top 5 promise, he'll probably go, but he won't get that this year.

Quote:

we don't need to give up chill/zaza

our best 2 backups?

for kt and a 6-10 pick?

no thanks

Thanks for your opinion. Now WHY!

I'd give up our "two best BUs" (whatever that means) for a likely star at center or Pg, Kurt Thomas (a good BU). Remember we cannot afford to resign Childress, JS, and MW so we must make a decision SOON. ZaZa's (and Thomas') deal ends after next year...precisely when JS's deal starts.

Anyhow, back your words up!

W

Quote:

Have to agree and I've been thinking the same thing. If Crit is on the board and you know you're getting him - I would pull the trigger. A huge reason for doing Chills in this deal is that his contract will be up soon - and moving his money will really help in signing Marvin and Solomon in '09. Short of the big 3 (JJ, JS, MW), I'd move any role player along with Chills in order to get this done.

That's precisely why I include Thomas' deal. It ends with ZaZa's deal and I don't see us resigning either. Thomas' gives us toughness for a year...at a high price.

Quote:

I like Chills, but we have to get serious about PG at some point.

I would prefer get Thabeet with our then retained pick as I think between he and Crittenton, he is the more difficult piece to acquire. However, I would want both Thabeet or Crittenton for Chill, ZaZa AND I am not against packaging SW and or Lue with the Indy pick to move up a spot or two to get Crittenton. In other words, trade ZaZa/MW for Thomas/Thabeet (if available), then SW/Indy pick for Crittenton (if available). Thomas plays SW role (that's what it is, a ROLE player) this year. We have some time to fill out our bench. Lineup?

Thabeet/Lo

JS/Kurt Thomas

MW/Jeremy Richardson

JJ/?

Crittenton/AJ or Speedy or Lue

I'm also not against whoever falls to the Indy pick at Pg IF we get Thabeet. Simply, I want to FINALLY, ONCE AND FOR ALL fill either the C or Pg position, possibly both, with a legit starter and star potential player.

Quote:

I'm no longer of the opinion that we HAVE to try and get the dominant 2-way big, primarily because it's just not likely that we can do so. I'd think we can get by with a defensive presence, if we have a legit top PG.

I think we HAVE to settle somewhat because we can't meet all our needs, but we still need a dominant player (if not a 2-way dominant one) in the post and that is never cheap. I'd at least like to get a dominant defender like Thabeet.

W