• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Let's talk @ our 1st round pick from Indy....

bumpyphish1

Where does it figure to be? Looking at mock drafts, I have seen it anywhere from #18 to #22. Should we trade the pick + a player for a better pick? For a better player?

If we keep the pick, who figures to be around? Who will we look at?

I would LOVE to get Acie Law with this pick, and it is going to be close as far as him slipping to us. He can run the point and can score - both needs for the lowest scoring team and a team w/o a PG. If Acie is gone, I say we look at a PG. And, unlike many of you on the board, I am not all about Crittenton. UCLA's PG seems like someone to look at.

As far as early mock drafts go, some examples have us taking:

Alando Tucker (SF, Wisconsin) at #19.

Aaron Gray (C, Pitt) at #19. --> Let's hope he's better than Ed Gray.

Marco Bellino (SG, International 20 years old) at #22. ---> Please, God, no!!

As far as players who may be available, here are the guys ESPN has ranked from 13-24:

(well, never mind, that requires ESPN Insider. Anyone wanna hook that info up?)

• Moderators

13 Josh McRoberts PF 6-10 230 20 Duke Lottery to mid first round

McRoberts had a chance to be a Top 10 pick in the 2006 NBA Draft... more

14 Corey Brewer SG 6-8 185 21 Florida Lottery to mid first round

An excellent NCAA tournament last season helped Brewer's stock. And after a slow start this... more

15 Jeff Green SF 6-8 225 20 Georgetown Lottery to mid first round

Scouts love his versatility and all-around game. But he doesn't really have one standout skill... more

16 D. J. Augustin PG 5-11 180 19 Texas Lottery to mid first round

He's been the best freshman point guard in the country and may be the best... more

17 Roy Hibbert C 7-2 265 20 Georgetown Mid to late first round

He's been all over the boards with scouts over the past few years. They love... more

18 Acie Law PG 6-3 185 22 Texas A&M Mid to late first round

Law has quietly developed into one of the top point guards in the country. His... more

19 Mike Conley PG 6-0 170 19 Ohio State Mid to late first round

Conley's quickly asserting himself as one of the best young college point guards in the... more

20 Javaris Crittenton PG 6-5 180 19 Georgia Tech Mid to late first round

Most big point guards are really two guards with some ball handling skills. Not Crittenton.... more

21 Marcus Williams SF 6-7 207 20 Arizona Mid to late first round

Williams has had a bit of an up and down season this year at Arizona.... more

22 Darrell Arthur PF 6-10 215 19 Kansas Mid to late first round

Shocked just about everyone coming out of the gate and leading a very talented KU... more

23 Nicolas Batum SF 6-8 190 18 France Mid to late first round

A few international scouts believe he's the best international prospect in the draft -- ahead... more

24 Tiago Splitter PF 7-0 240 22 Brazil Mid to late first round

His stock was hurt in previous drafts over serious questions about whether an NBA team... more

Trading for an established player makes more sense for the Hawks instead of drafting one.

However, those guys you listed would be good additions to the team.

Collison's the guy I want. I haven't seen enough of Acie Law to comment on him, but everything I hear sounds like he would be a good pick too. Not sold on Crittenton yet.

Unless I'm calculating it incorrectly, the Indy pick would be #18 today and based on other teams' records will most likely end up in the 15 to 19 range.

• Premium Member

There are three situations I have in mind:

1. Luck out and get Acie Law IV!!!

I think this guy has the game we need. He can score, but mainly he manufactures offense. He actually makes his teammate better. I think he will go top ten though.

2. We take Marc Gasol.

I know nothing about this guy other than he's tall and he's not as good as his brother. Still, i like the fact that he's 7'1" 270 and his brother plays professionally and he's played with Sergio Rodriguez. He's probably the biggest bust ever, but 7'1" and big means that he's probably going to be solid. I don't expect him to be fast but I hope that he's a good rebounder.

3. We use the pick in trade.

This is probably my top choice being that I don't think we will get a shot at Law. If we use the pick in trade, I would want to go after an established player. I will leave it at that.

• Premium Member

Why is it that I don't have the love for Josh McRoberts?

Is it Duke hate?

This guy was projected by one guy to be the next CWebb. Why is it that I don't see it. I like Hansbrough far more than McRoberts.

I think McRoberts is going to be pretty good, Diesel. And, like you, I hate Duke. Hate 'em. But, I really think (like you know who - another Dukie PF recently drafted by some team) his upside is pretty limited. I don't think he would be a terrible pick at #18. Neither would Shelden have been...at 18!!!!

• Premium Member

I think you've rushed to Judgement too quickly about Shelden. I would like to see him under another coach. Last night, in the short time he was in, he hit a nice midrange shot, he blocked an Alonzo Morning dunk attempt (with Authority) and he played really good positional defense on Haslem.

Jones too. I think Solomon played very well for the short time he was in. He blocked an Alonzo Morning shot, he rebounded well. He kept his feet most of the time.

I think while Marvin is out these next few games, it will be time for Shelden, Jones, and Batista to step it up (if Woody lets them).

McRoberts is far too much Ferry than Laettner. I don't see the skills.

Hansbrough is tougher. Did you see him take the foul. The problem is that he's 6'9" too.

Over the last 4 years, I think the guy who would have been nice to have is Shavlik Randolph. When Duke had Randolph and Shelden, they had something. I think Randolph was at Death's doorstep last I heard but if we had a guy at Center who played that kind of defense with that length, I would be happier (with a new coach).

That's why in the draft, I hope for Acie Law. We have bigs.. I really like Jones to see more time and weight.. What we need is a distributor. If not Law, we should be picking up Steve Blake....

• Premium Member

Right now...

I would be happy with us getting Acie Law... maybe picking up Randolph Morris in free agency (he did have a very good year)...

And targetting a guy like Jodie Meeks or Terrance Williams or Wesley Matthews for next years draft.

• Premium Member

I hope that UK limps into the NCAA tourney and matches up with Ohio State in the 2nd round.

Morris vs. Oden.

I would also like to see Texas A&M play UCLA... somewhere... maybe the final four or the Elite Eight!!

I have a feeling that Durant & Texas will have an early exit... it would be nice to see Texas vs. Maryland!! I'm sure Maryland can take them.

Some other matchups I would like to see:

Oden vs. Noah.

Pitts vs. UF.

Georgetown vs. Ohio St.

Texas A&M or UCLA vs. Tennessee!

Chris Loften vs. Acie

Yepp... the madness is upon us!!!

I'd be surprised if Law was still on the board when we draft. If he has a good tourney he could be a hot commodity. Splitter could be a sleeper (if he comes over?) but at that position he might be the best big available. His offense is raw but he is better on the defensive end.

Fantasy would be to get in the top three and have our Indy pick about twelve. Could really help the team. The down side would be it would keep BK and Woody around another year.

I dont think Crittendon falls to around the 20 pick where we'll be, he's just got too much upside. I'd like to see BK make some moves this offseason including moving up for Crittendon, etc. The pick and Lue or Salim or AJ might move us up 5-10 slots.

Next I'd like to see us clear up Tiago Splitter's contract before drafting him. BK seems to like white stiffs at center so it might happen.

I know Walter,etc will think no way, but I could see Thabeet falling below Hibbert and falling to us. I dont like him but I'd take him that low.

Outside of the draft I think signing Randolph Morris and Anderson would be good moves.

• Premium Member

I don't think Law will be available past 8... However, if potential gets into the draft, maybe they push Law back. Remember, he is a Senior. You have to take Freshmen and Sophomores before Seniors.. It's the rule!

Two players of BK's type who I can't see him passing up in the mid first are:

Brandon Rush

and

Marcus Williams.

I think Rush is a BK guy all the way. BK would probably try to suggest that this guy can play the Point (which he can't)... But Rush plus Smoove would be exciting and neither can dribble.

• Premium Member

I agree about Thabeet. He has shown next to nothing. He will be another Foyle in the pros, but to a team that needs a Foyle, that's good. Hibbert is more well rounded. Hibbert actually has some low post move and I think he will be very effective as a pro. I just don't know if he's coming out this year. I suspect that Georgetown will make some noise in the tourney and may beat one good team... and Hibbert will probably be the catalyst. The question is will he be smart enough to leave?

I think BK can call Randolph Morris up right now and start working a deal with him. I mean Morris is a free agent. If BK can get a deal in principle with Morris, I would focus on finding the right PG or BU SG..

I would clear the bench of Lue and Speedy the best way I could.

I would hold on to Chillz and Marvin unless a good deal came along.

Quote:

I think BK can call Randolph Morris up right now and start working a deal with him. I mean Morris is a free agent. If BK can get a deal in principle with Morris, I would focus on finding the right PG or BU SG..

I would clear the bench of Lue and Speedy the best way I could.

I would hold on to Chillz and Marvin unless a good deal came along.

We have got to sign Randolph Morris. That makes up for our second rounder...and then some. I'm hoping that since he is in the Southeast, BK will be on the ball about contacting him and offering as soon as its possible.

• Premium Member

Well, we had Morris in camp last year and had made him an offer.

I'm hoping since he and Smoove are good friends (I think) that we can use that to get him here in front of the homecrowd. I would give him a Zaza like salary if pressed. I mean he's having an awesome year.