• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks' Future PG

unknownjdb

I've been reviewing PG options this coming off-season and have come down to three FA's I really think would put us over the top (or at least get us to the Playoffs). Those three are Billups (of course), Mo Williams, and Steve Blake.

Billups (6'-3") Approx. Averages 18p 8a 3r 1s in 37m

...is a given; best veteran PG free agent there will be. Though, I have to wonder how many more years does he got in him, he's already played been in the league for ten. Even if he is at his prime, I wonder how exactly he would far in a different setting (see Big Ben), especially with a team so young.

Mo Williams (6'-1") 18p 6a 5r 1s in 37m

Why have I never realized how much he does for Milwaukee? We're talking stats equal to what Billups produces. Of course, Billups has a solid 'mature' rotation to work with whereas Williams IS young and plays with other youthful 'potentials'. Still, I was shocked.

Steve Blake (6'-3") since in DEN 9p 7a 3r 1s in 34m

I was never really sure about him, but he is putting up some solid numbers for Denver. Out of the three, I think Blake is much more the PG we need (i.e. pass first).

Other than that, there's also Jeff McInnis, though I'm a little leary of his recent issues.

So, the question is which route do we go?

Billups is no longer possible since BK traded away 3 million in cap space for a 1.5 year rental of a 33-34 year old AJ, that will do nothing for this team (now or in the future) other then help ensure we don't get that top 3 pick or make any major FA signings.

• Moderators

Quote:

Billups is no longer possible since BK traded away 3 million in cap space for a 1.5 year rental of a 33-34 year old AJ, that will do nothing for this team (now or in the future) other then help ensure we don't get that top 3 pick or make any major FA signings.

Don't you think a team like Detroit might be interested in Lue, AJ, etc. if we were signing away Billups? Cleveland, LA, plenty of teams would take on that salary for us.

Augustine reminds me so much of Paul. Granted Paul was a Sophomore when he came out but....... If Augustine were to stay for his sophmore season he would get all the hype Paul got. They both got plenty of hype their freshman seasons.

Both are good passers, are very quick, and have excellent outside shots. Their only weakness is lack of stature.

I would not mind drafting, Hibbett, Georgetowns Center - the 7'2 guy who blocks shots and has a bad ass hook shot in the post only if we sign Mo Williams or Steve Blake to fill the PG void. The other bigs do not impress me such as (Gray or Thabeet).

As far PG in drafts go:

I like Law but Augustine does seem to have more potential.

One thing to look at here concerning PGs.

The NBA has changed rules to benefit smaller quicker players, hence good for Agustine bad for Law and Crittendon. Examples are no more hand checks on the perimeter and more ticky tack perimeter foul calls. If this talk of not allowing flops and causing fewer charges are true the pendelunm may start to swing back in the favor of the bigger guards. No longer will undersized PG be able to flop to get a bail out call under the basket. These rule changes feed the Big PG to Little PG trends. If the league is going to move back to a more physical style of play it would make Crittendon or Law a wiser pick over Augustine. If no hand checks and ticky tack perimeter fouls are called Augustine would be the bettter pick.

To me the PG position is played more with the mind than any other position. My opinion is Augustine and Law are more advanced with B-ball IQ then is Crittendon. I have just seen Crittendon make more bone headed turn overs then the others. Granted Crittendon is a freshman and should improve here.

Bottom line - the top 4 guys I look at with Ind's pick are:

Augustine, Hibbett, Law, and Crittendon.

The only guy I consider other then PGs is a TRUE CENTER. The only TRUE CENTER I like for our pick is Hibbett out of Georgetown. The thought og Hibbett and Smoove patrolling the paint make my mouth water. The only way I draft a center is if I know we can sign Williams or Blake.

I'd take a look at Dominic James too but not in the top 3 PG Right Now. Jame's stock is falling he could have be a 2nd round steal, a more atheletic Salim Stoudamire. Too bad we don't have one.

OK, enough rambling.

Quote:

Quote:

Don't you think a team like Detroit might be interested in Lue, AJ, etc. if we were signing away Billups? Cleveland, LA, plenty of teams would take on that salary for us.

Well if Billups is to come here, he will have to agree to a sign and trade, which is very unlikely because I'm sure a number of other teams are willing to deal for him also.

Besides, I don't really think we have anything to trade for him, they don't need Marvin, Childress, or Shelden, and they aren't going to do it for just Lue or AJ. I don't know, I guess it's possible, but not likely, we'll have to throw multiple 1sts their way.