• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Durant is something special wish Hawks had chance!

thescout5

Quote:

no, it's no different. It's only different because you've already made up your mind that he will be a dominant player at the next level. You aren't looking at the history of the NBA, which has emphatically taught us that college stats don't guarantee success in the NBA. How many players have put up GREAT numbers in college, gotten drafted high and then fizzled? A lot more than have made an impact in the NBA. The fact that you compare a guy who is doing it in the NBA now, to a college kid who is simply putting up great numbers in college shows that you buy the hype. That's perfectly fine, but it's also no different than (except for stats) the situation that surrounded Marvin in his draft year.

Well, Carmelo is the last freshmen to play at a level equal to Durant so I am not sure why that is not a good comparison while someone like Marvin, who was a back-up in college, is a good comparison.

But in general you are right, we do not not with certainty which college stars will emerge as professional stars. That said, far more college stars become professional stars then college roll players that become professional stars.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

carmelo and durant were hands down the best players on their teams and also didn't have any junior or seniors ahead of them on the depth charts. marvin went to a team with 3 other first round players. he also had david noel (a senior) that roy williams trusted more to win college games. comparing a player like marvin to a player like durant in college would be like comparing a player on a team with no other scorers to a team like florida with alot of scorers. that's not saying that marvin is better than durant (i for one think that durant will be better than marvin) but you can't look at their stats in college and say that durant was far and away a better player. they were in different situations. durant is better than marvin, but not enough so that i would say screw marvin we need to waste another pick on a SF.

• Moderators

Quote:

you can't look at their stats in college and say that durant was far and away a better player. they were in different situations.

I agree about being in different situations but you CAN and should say that Durant was far and away a better player his freshman year in college. Marvin was at best the 4th most valuable player on his team and had a positive impact but never took over. Durant has been the best player in the entire country.

The fact is that lots of players are in different situations and it affects how good a player they are that season. Comparing Paul's sophmore season to Marvin's freshman season anyone should conclude that Paul was far and away a better player that season.

If you can't conclude that Durant has been far and away a better player his freshman year than Marvin was, you have to conclude that you can't say All-American Chris Paul was a better player in 2003-04 than Marvin was. And that is crazy talk, IMO.

Incidently, even guys from loaded teams can be huge players. At Kentucky in 1996 there were a lot of players at different ages who were big impact guys like senior Tony Delk, sophmore Antoine Walker, etc. However, none was as good as Tim Duncan was for Wake Forest. I wouldn't say "you can't compare Ron Mercer in 1996 against Tim Duncan in 1996 because Duncan's team was based around him whereas Mercer was just a cog in the wheel at UK." You have to say "Duncan was a lot better than Mercer this year but maybe after Mercer gets a bigger role next year he will show himself to be as good as Duncan."

Guest Walter

Quote:

but the truth is, he's NO different than Marvin was before we drafted him.

Now those are the words of a man who doesn't know what the hell he's talkin' about.

This is ignorant beyond belief. Not to mention that should you watch either player, MW on his best day shouldn't even be in the same breath as Durant on his worst.

W

Guest Walter

Quote:

Second, college developed isn't pro developed and that's a fact. He's not Shaq or Duncan, two of the most fully developed college players to enter the NBA in recent history. So he still has a lot of things to improve on at the next level.

...of those two players as a freshman. Must he put up their upper class numbers as a freshman to impress you? Actually, he's doing that already.

W

I will wager a ridiculous sum of money that Kevin Durant isn't better than Josh Smith next year.

I can't believe this is even an argument.

Josh Smith will beat this guy in EVERY category next year except maybe 3pt percentage.

Josh Smith will have more points, rebounds, assists, and blocks per game than Kevin Durant next season.

If you actually think Kevin will be better than Josh is not only one but most of those categories, what the hell are you smoking????

Quote:

I would be happy to take your bet that Durant will be better than Smith in one of the following categories: points, rebounds, assists, blocks.

PM me to arrange details.

he will probably will only average 3-5 more points than smith and maybe get josh in one more category. but he will do that in his 3rd or 4th year

projected stats

durant- 28 points 9 rebounds 4 assist

smith- 23 points 8 rebounds 6 assist and 2.5 blocks

Quote:

...I would be happy to take your bet that Durant will be projected stats

durant- 28 points 9 rebounds 4 assist

smith- 23 points 8 rebounds 6 assist and 2.5 blocks

Please folks - the comparisons don't match. Durant is a polished offensive player and JS is a game changer on defense. They are both excellent players but JS will probably never have Durant's offensive skills...Durant will never be a defensive game changer like Josh. They will both do some of each - but Durant is a scorer...JS is a defender.

Quote:

...Well, Carmelo is the last freshmen to play at a level equal to Durant so I am not sure why that is not a good comparison while someone like Marvin, who was a back-up in college, is a good comparison....

I don't think you can do direct comparisons because we are talking about human beings...not robots. But you have to look at the past to predict the future. Josh Smith has a "recent past" and it's in the nba. I expect he will do as well as these last few games and maybe better in the future.

Durant has a past as a stellar player at the top level of the NCAA. I would expect him to be a star at least on the level as Josh Smith (although for different reasons).

Marvin Williams is a jump shooting clod. He will never advance as far as either of the afore mentioned players. He lacks too many talents/desires. I doubt he will ever make it past...well actually...outside of the Hawks believing in him...I doubt he will stay in the league 5 years Just MHO.

Good analysis on Smoove vs Durant but let me also add Durant I heard was 1st team either all conference or All American on defense so I think we are selling his defensive skills short. Smoove can block shots but can he shut down a top scorer? You see stats on block shots but you don't see them on defending the other teams top scorer sort of like a Bobby Jones who used to play for the 76ers.

Smoove has a better inside game but I would bet that Durants inside game is better than Smoove's outside game.Smoove is a few years older than Durant playing against NBA competition but it will be interesting to see Durant develop physically also. He'll gain muscle and be more powerful so while Smoove's game will get better so will Durant's.

Marvin is not even in Smoove's or Durant's league.He'll probably be the big bust on what is expected out of him vs the others that came out of the draft.Just seems like BK drafts always the wrong player for the franchise.

Durant has a chance to break the all time NCAA record in points in a season as a freshmen.When you score 27 points and you've had a quiet game that says something. I'll make a prediction Durant will be an All Star in as little as 2 years in the NBA. Will see what the future holds but his future is as brights as anyone's that came out of college.

[quote...Marvin is not even in Smoove's or Durant's league.

I'm afraid that will be the case. Save your money Marvin. I have seen no more than some set up - spot up jumpers.

Marvin is OK - but he ain't gonna be no Vince Carter - ever.

It has become obvious that those who want to see JS and MW together are just wanting for MW to get there.

I hope he does...I hope he does...

But he won't from what I've seen. 2 pick - flush - now lets get on with things.

Im not denying Durant's potential.

He's younger than Smoove and when he's Smoove's age there is no doubt in my mind he could be a better player than SMoove at the age of 21.

But with that said, the notion that he will be better than Smoove his rookie season is absurd to me.

When you factor in Smoove improving upon what he's doing this year combined with the fact that Durant will be a freaking rookie, I don't see how anyone can possibly say that.

Maybe, just maybe he beats Smoove in points if he's the only option on the team he goes to.

But rebounds, assists, and blocks I think SMoove EASILY beats him.

I can't believe some people suggest Durant will get more rebounds than Smoove.

He's got to put on some weight for sure to pull down some boards.

Some people may point to Garnett but Garnett is bigger than Durant. You ever see Kevin flex? He's got some muscle.

Quote:

Quote:

I have never seen a freshman in a "Big Six" college who produced like Durant and wasn't successful in the NBA.

Frankly i can't remember anyone in a major conference who produced like Durant as a true freshman. Melo was close, i remember Marbury was very strong, but other than that i am drawing a blank.

Chris Jackson, AKA Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf. He holds the record for freshman scoring. Durant has a chance to break it.

Check this out. He's still playing! He could really fill it up.

http://www.euroleague.net/competition/play...layer?pcode=LQR

Guest Walter

Quote:

When you factor in Smoove improving upon what he's doing this year combined with the fact that Durant will be a freaking rookie, I don't see how anyone can possibly say that.

Look at Lebron's and Melo's 1st year. Similar talents with IMO Durant being better than Melo. Statistically significantly better as rookies than JS is now. Mind you JS has the blocks but Durant can get the steal and the block extremely well. His defense is WAY under-rated only because his offense is awe inspiring.

W

Quote:

Quote:

Look at Lebron's and Melo's 1st year. Similar talents with IMO Durant being better than Melo. Statistically significantly better as rookies than JS is now. Mind you JS has the blocks but Durant can get the steal and the block extremely well. His defense is WAY under-rated only because his offense is awe inspiring.

W

he will score more because he might go to a team that he will have to score alot to have any chance at winning games. smith had a sorry coach(woodson) and 2 all hogs(harrington and walker) then they brought jj who is way better than those 2. just because you score more dont mean you better....durant have to bulk up a little because because i think hes at least 6'9'' right? that means he will have to guard garnett, duncan, amare etc ...but if he dont bulk up he will just be a threat offensively on defensively.

JJ is a Ball Hog too...a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Hell he's worse than the normal ball hog because all he does is shoot perimeter jumpers. At least your normal ball hog drives to the basket occasionally (and especially in crunch time). JJ is a top 5 SG in this league...period.

AI at least drives and gets fouled.

JJ - - GUTS - - don't mix. banghead.gif

Quote:

Hell he's worse than the normal ball hog because all he does is shoot perimeter jumpers. At least your normal ball hog drives to the basket occasionally (and especially in crunch time). JJ is a top 5 SG in this league...period.

JJ - - GUTS - - don't mix.
banghead.gif

Cmon DJ, you know that's not true. JJ drives as much as he needs to. He isn't as quick as AI, he can't get to the hoop as easily. It's FG% that matters, and JJ's is higher than most of the top SG's in the league today.

How does JJ not come through during crunch time? He ALWAYS makes huge shots at the end of games, not sure where you got that from.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

JJ - - GUTS - - don't mix.
banghead.gif

Cmon DJ, you know that's not true. JJ drives as much as he needs to. He isn't as quick as AI, he can't get to the hoop as easily. It's FG% that matters, and JJ's is higher than most of the top SG's in the league today.

How does JJ not come through during crunch time? He ALWAYS makes huge shots at the end of games, not sure where you got that from.

Agreed. The highest TS% of Iverson's career is under 55%. That takes into account FTs and 3pts. JJ has been over 55% two of the last 3 years. His career average is just below AI's career high.

Don't even get me started on AI's unearthly high usage rate either. These guys are not remotely comparable as ball hogs.