• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Contract status of Hawks: Sekou

DrReality

Batista, Royal Ivey and Slava Medvedenko have contracts that expire at the end of this season, meaning their careers with the Hawks will probably end.

That leaves the Hawks with 12 players under contract going into the summer, when the draft, free agency and trade season increase the chances of players under contract being moved.

"In each of my first two years [Hawks general manager Billy Knight] tweaked the roster during the summer," third-year forward Josh Smith said. "We're all expecting him to do the same this summer. We've dealt with all these injuries this year and that's going to make it harder to know which guys will play best together in the future. But since we're not a playoff team, you expect there to be some significant changes to help us get there."

The core group of Smith, All-Star and captain Joe Johnson, Josh Childress, Marvin Williams, Zaza Pachulia, Shelden Williams and Solomon Jones would appear to be safe, though any one of those assets would be a major bargaining chip in any trade scenario. Both Smith and Childress are eligible for contract extensions that would have to be signed before the start of the 2007-08 season, which also has to be factored into the Hawks' summer plans.

The fates of veterans such as Lue and fellow guards Speedy Claxton and Anthony Johnson, as well as Lorenzen Wright and Salim Stoudamire, don't appear to be quite as clear.

"That's where the business end of this comes in," Lue said. "We're all professionals. We know that the uncertainty that comes with the end of any season is a part of the deal."

A choice will have to be made regarding those three veteran point guards, and the combination of whichever man is deemed expendable, Wright and Stoudamire could fetch the Hawks some much-needed help with frontcourt depth or a younger point guard.

"We certainly have an overload on the perimeter," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "I don't think there is any question about that. But we also have a core group of guys, starting with Joe, Josh, Chils, Z and Marvin, and then Shelden and Solomon.

"The fact is you take a look at everything at the end of a season. Everything will be scrutinized and studied to see where we can improve."

ON THE ROSTER

The Hawk have 12 players under contract beyond the end of this season:

....................Under contract

Player, Pos. ..............through

Josh Childress, G..........2008-09

Speedy Claxton, G..........2009-10

Anthony Johnson, G ........2007-08

Joe Johnson, G ............2009-10

Solomon Jones, G ..........2008-09

Tyronn Lue, G..............2007-08

Zaza Pachulia, C ..........2008-09

Josh Smith, F..............2008-09

Salim Stoudamire, G........2007-08

Marvin Williams, F ........2009-10

Shelden Williams, F........2009-10

Lorenzen Wright, C ........2007-08

Players whose contracts expire at the end of this season: F/C Esteban Batista, G Royal Ivey, F/C Slava Medvednko

• Moderators

Another great quote by Woody. How's it feel to be Salim when Shelden and even Solomon are included in the great core group of guys and you aren't. I'm sure he's dying to get out of here anyway. I thought he was useless last year and now I think he's going to be a real good player unfortunately for us it will probably be somewhere else.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Batista, Royal Ivey and Slava Medvedenko have contracts that expire at the end of this season, meaning their careers with the Hawks will probably end.

That leaves the Hawks with 12 players under contract going into the summer, when the draft, free agency and trade season increase the chances of players under contract being moved.

"In each of my first two years [Hawks general manager Billy Knight] tweaked the roster during the summer," third-year forward Josh Smith said. "We're all expecting him to do the same this summer. We've dealt with all these injuries this year and that's going to make it harder to know which guys will play best together in the future. But since we're not a playoff team, you expect there to be some significant changes to help us get there."

The core group of Smith, All-Star and captain Joe Johnson, Josh Childress, Marvin Williams, Zaza Pachulia, Shelden Williams and Solomon Jones would appear to be safe, though any one of those assets would be a major bargaining chip in any trade scenario. Both Smith and Childress are eligible for contract extensions that would have to be signed before the start of the 2007-08 season, which also has to be factored into the Hawks' summer plans.

The fates of veterans such as Lue and fellow guards Speedy Claxton and Anthony Johnson, as well as Lorenzen Wright and Salim Stoudamire, don't appear to be quite as clear.

"That's where the business end of this comes in," Lue said. "We're all professionals. We know that the uncertainty that comes with the end of any season is a part of the deal."

A choice will have to be made regarding those three veteran point guards, and the combination of whichever man is deemed expendable, Wright and Stoudamire could fetch the Hawks some much-needed help with frontcourt depth or a younger point guard.

"We certainly have an overload on the perimeter," Hawks coach Mike Woodson said. "I don't think there is any question about that. But we also have a core group of guys, starting with Joe, Josh, Chils, Z and Marvin, and then Shelden and Solomon.

I would describe our core as JJ and JS, maybe Childress or MW, but frankly it's a terribly weak "core".

Quote:

"The fact is you take a look at everything at the end of a season. Everything will be scrutinized and studied to see where we can improve."

I hope that means the head coaching and GM positions. The players don't own this one. It's on the GM and coach. Hopefully, ownership doesn't let BK roll these player heads in order to keep his job. It's not the fringe players that are a problem, it's the "core" ones and there isn't likely a way to not only significantly upgrade them but also change to a more desirable and harder to fill position like C or Pg.

W