• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Ownership viewpoint.

AmishBoy

If capable of completely detatching your fan status and looking from a purely ownership status how would you view this team. This is one of the main reasons why my views on the Hawks are usually so conflicted.

From a fan standpoint the only thing I want are wins, but I sometimes fall into the ownership viewpoint and come to a different conclusion about this team. It's a love hate thing. As a fan we have no point, no center, an inept coach and GM. If I were an owner I would see capspace, young developing players, more than a few tradeable contracts(ZaZa, Lo, probably even Speedy). My GM maybe bad to fans but as an owner he hasn't put me in a Knicks situation. And even they continue to make moves in an attempt to improve their roster. My coach may be bad to fans but he has improved the team every year, is cheap, and the players seem to like him.

For most of the negative things we see as fans for the owners it's not a four alarm fire. I'm sure they would like to win but ultimately they have many more factors to consider in the management of this organization. I can see why it makes sense for them to keep Woody and BK.

I'm just saying.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If i am an owner i am looking at Deng and Deron coming up huge in the playoffs and wondering what might have been. I am also wondering what BK will do to screw up this draft.

If you are going to rebuild your team primary through the draft you'd better make good use of your picks. BK hasn't.

Quote:

...more than a few tradeable contracts(ZaZa, Lo, probably even Speedy). My GM maybe bad to fans but as an owner he hasn't put me in a Knicks situation. And even they continue to make moves in an attempt to improve their roster. My coach may be bad to fans but he has improved the team every year, is cheap, and the players seem to like him....

...I'm just saying.

Good points...this team is ripe for a smart person to turn it around.

...on the Speedy contract though...we are taking that sucker to the grave. Worst F/A move in a decade. detective.gif

Quote:

If i am an owner i am looking at Deng and Deron coming up huge in the playoffs and wondering what might have been. I am also wondering what BK will do to screw up this draft.

If you are going to rebuild your team primary through the draft you'd better make good use of your picks. BK hasn't.

This is a fan perspective. As an owner you're tied at the hip to BK. You are signed off on these players through your GM. Unlike a fan who has no say. If you are wondering about the decision you would spend 50 percent of the time looking at BK and the other 50 percent looking in the mirror.

Quote:

You are signed off on these players

That is implying that the owners have had a say in the draft picks. That is highly unlikely. They have said that they have given BK the freedom to make his own moves and if the owners don't like his moves they can fire him. If i was an owner that is what i would be looking to do.

Of course i think the owners are more concerned about Belkin and their financial situation than they are about BK's draft picks.

Quote:

... As an owner you're tied at the hip to BK. You are signed off on these players through your GM. Unlike a fan who has no say. If you are wondering about the decision you would spend 50 percent of the time looking at BK and the other 50 percent looking in the mirror.

Yep...BK is a disaster.

Ni_ga please...BK has been a total mess. Passing on CP3 and Deron when we needed a PG BAD. Holy Toledo!! detective.gif

Quote:

That is implying that the owners have had a say in the draft picks. That is highly unlikely. They have said that they have given BK the freedom to make his own moves

To me that seems highly unlikely. I can see letting a guy recommend who he wants and then signing off unless you strongly oppose but just letting a guy pick whoever he wants whenever is stupid. It's unreasonable for me to believe that's how the ASG works. If that's the case they are playing roulette with the team they own.

russian.gif

Quote:

Yep...BK is a disaster.

Ni_ga please...BK has been a total mess. Passing on CP3 and Deron when we needed a PG BAD. Holy Toledo!!

I think BK doesn't respect the position. I can't think of any other reason he has failed to fix this obvious problem. Even Marcus Williams looks good.

Quote:

Knight has had 100% freedom to make the picks. That is a fact. I believe that is still the case...his lack of talent in picking players and signing free agents is a reflection of bad ownership, however. The buck stops with the ASG reagardless.

Even though I'm getting away from the point of my original post they at the very least know who he's going to pick before hand. If I'm the owner and BK says I want Shelden or Marvin I'm like WTF. Maybe he has a convincing argument that changes my mind and we pick who he wants anyway, but picking without being questioned by me the owner is ridiculous.

On a side note, the Texans fired their GM right after he passed on Vince and Reggie so maybe it does work like that with certain teams. The teams that usually suck grin.gif. If that is the case I plead with the owners to take a more active role in the building of this team.

Quote:

but picking without being questioned by me the owner is ridiculous.

That is assuming that ALL of the owners have the exact same feelings about the draft. More than likely one wanted Deron, another wanted Marvin and another wanted Paul. So which one has the most influence with BK? Is he supposed to weigh the different opinions of several owners before making his pick?

The whole point of hiring a GM is to get someone to make basketball decisions.

If BK just calls the owner and says he's drafting MW, the owners are on the hook for the decision as well. With a decision as important as a lottery pick in the league he would have to inform the owners. There's no way around it. It's not like he Hawks are owner by Time Warner anymore. The ASG would have to come to a consensus as well for BK to move foward. Billy Knight just publicly takes the blame. You have scouts, presidents, vp of basketball operations, there is no way BK says in says on May 22nd who he taking and that is it. I just don't believe it.

Quote:

With a decision as important as a lottery pick in the league he would have to inform the owners.

And that is ALL he has to do. He doesn't have to take their preferences into account. The reason they hired him is because he is supposed to be an expert on basketball. He is SUPPOSED to know more than the owners.

If the owners don't like his moves they can just fire him. That is how they have their say. But they aren't going to have a say in his moves. If they did there would be no point in having a GM n the first place.

• Moderators

Quote:

BK is doing fine...has the ASG wrapped around his little finger and is cashing checks.

A General Manager who has FLAT SUCKED is cashing ASG checks and they love him
detective.gif

Give me Belkin...I'll take smarts over stupids.

You realize Belkin was the owner publically celebrating the Marvin pick, right?

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

With a decision as important as a lottery pick in the league he would have to inform the owners.

And that is ALL he has to do. He doesn't have to take their preferences into account. The reason they hired him is because he is supposed to be an expert on basketball. He is SUPPOSED to know more than the owners.

If the owners don't like his moves they can just fire him. That is how they have their say. But they aren't going to have a say in his moves. If they did there would be no point in having a GM n the first place.

I totally agree. This is the right approach.

Of course, that places the responsibility on the ASG to pull the plug when a GM isn't working out.

The whole blowup with Belkin was because Belkin thought we were giving away too much to get JJ. Duh. Looks like he was f_ckin right. Belkin signed off on the JJ deal TWICE..but didn't want to give up the draft choice that we will now give to PHX.

...and everybody on this board (except a few) hates Belkin...LOL. He had it phookin right and the other ASGer were goobers.

If Belkin were in charge we would have a free pick in the draft....1-2-3-4-5-6 whatever. You people can't see the forrest for the trees. detective.gif

Quote:

But they aren't going to have a say in his moves. If they did there would be no point in having a GM n the first place.

This has to be much more rare than the norm. On one extreme you may have an Al Davis. To a lesser extent Mark Cuban or Jerry Jones. The GM's these guys have don't have total autonomy with personel decisions. On the other extreme we have what you are talking about. I would believe that most teams fall in the middle as I hope the Hawks do.

• Moderators

Quote:

The whole blowup with Belkin was because Belkin thought we were giving away too much to get JJ. Duh. Looks like he was f_ckin right. Belkin signed off on the JJ deal TWICE..but didn't want to give up the draft choice that we will now give to PHX.

...and everybody on this board (except a few) hates Belkin...LOL. He had it phookin right and the other ASGer were goobers.

If Belkin were in charge we would have a free pick in the draft....1-2-3-4-5-6 whatever. You people can't see the forrest for the trees.
detective.gif

Speaking of not seeing the forest for the trees, you really think that fracturing the ownership and plunging the team into years of litigation that actually has the franchise operating under different rules than the rest of the league is worth the failure to protect the pick for an addition half dozen spots?

Hell no.

I wanted some additional protection on the pick, too. However, do you burn down your house because your roomate chose a bad color of paint for the kitchen? No.

Forrest for the trees.

If you are in a partnership, you work with the others and if you see them make a mistake you point it out, debate it and go with the majority vote. Then you use that as leverage to persuade people to your opinion in the future. You don't screw the team and the fans for years down the line.

Simple question. Two years ago when we clearly needed a point guard. I'm not talking hindsight either. When your GM says he's picking another SF in Marvin Williams and you strongly belive we need a PG you reply to his e-mail saying I feel we need a point but if you want Marvin okay. Are you phookin kidding me. When it's your business unless you are old and ready to retire there is no way you just let some guy make these important decision unchallenged. If the person in charge of entertainment tells you they want to make Rosie O'Donnell a cheerleader are you just gonna go duh, okay.