• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Dominique says need before BPA in draft (link)

johnnyde

Dominique Wilkins, Atlanta Hawks

Vice President, Basketball Operations

Third Overall Selection

Q: How do you feel about the way things went tonight and securing the third overall pick?

WILKINS: I’m happy because we got two picks in the first round. We were positioned if we get the fourth pick, we lose that pick, so to keep the pick and get the 11th spot here is great for us.

Q: Is there any position you are looking to fill with the third pick?

WILKINS: We are going to look at a lot of different variables. We got good choices at both picks and, believe me, we are going to make the best decision on what we need. We are definitely going to draft on what we need instead of the best available guy. This is great for our franchise because I think this will make us instantly a contender for the playoffs. This is big for us.

Q: How much of a relief was it to get in that top three?

WILKINS: I was sweating over there. I wasn’t banking on one, but I said just get me the three. We already got eleven, just get me the three and then we have two good choices in the first round.

Q: Are you superstitious at all? Did you bring anything for luck today?

WILKINS: A little bit. I have my tie. It’s the tie I wore in the Hall of Fame, so I said maybe it will help me a little bit tonight.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2064

• Moderators

Here is another tidbit from Nique courtesy of Chad Ford:

Quote:

There are several highly-rated swingmen in this draft. But would the Hawks really take another 2, 3 or 4 man after drafting Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams and Shelden Williams (and trading for Joe Johnson) in recent years?

I posed that question to Hawks VP Dominique Wilkens, who said, "Probably not. Not unless we have some other plan."

i said it once i'll say it again, tankers never win. the three teams that torched their season ended up with the 4,5, and 6 picks. meanwhile the three teams that tried to win reguardless of consequence ended up going 1,2, and 3. in the end we were rewarded.

Quote:

Here is another tidbit from Nique courtesy of Chad Ford:

Quote:

There are several highly-rated swingmen in this draft. But would the Hawks really take another 2, 3 or 4 man after drafting Josh Childress, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams and Shelden Williams (and trading for Joe Johnson) in recent years?

I posed that question to Hawks VP Dominique Wilkens, who said, "Probably not. Not unless we have some other plan."

The Hawks will have to adjust now that Hibbert has pulled out.

• Premium Member

Quote:

i said it once i'll say it again, tankers never win. the three teams that torched their season ended up with the 4,5, and 6 picks. meanwhile the three teams that tried to win reguardless of consequence ended up going 1,2, and 3. in the end we were rewarded.

Yes, Stern sent them a message with yet another rigged lottery.

• Moderators

Quote:

Don't you consider getting Lebron James to be a win? Also, the Sonics did shut down Ray Allen so it isn't like they come in with completely clean hands. Likewise, we shut things down for the most part down the stretch.

A team like Philly really embodies the "not tanking" philosophy you are advocating better than Atlanta or Seattle.