• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

3 important questions that MUST BE answered...

Diesel

• Premium Member

1. How healthy is Speedy?

If Speedy is back to 90 to 100%, then it means a lot either in trade or in how we pick and who we trade.

2. What role will Shelden play?

I really want to know how the FO saw Shelden's last 12 games or so. Do they think that moving him to center is the right move for him. Do they think that he could be what they needed at Center.

3. Can you resign Josh Smith?

Not will you, but can you. Has JSmoove started thinking about other teams? If so, then he becomes very good trade bait. We hear about the disruptive Smoove... and though he's a very good shotblocker, I don't think he's untouchable.

As divergent as these questions seem, I think that they really will tell us who will be the next picks for the Hawks and also what our trading strategy should be.

Quote:

If Speedy is back to 90 to 100%, then it means a lot either in trade or in how we pick and who we trade.

I really want to know how the FO saw Shelden's last 12 games or so. Do they think that moving him to center is the right move for him. Do they think that he could be what they needed at Center.

Not will you, but can you. Has JSmoove started thinking about other teams? If so, then he becomes very good trade bait. We hear about the disruptive Smoove... and though he's a very good shotblocker, I don't think he's untouchable.

As divergent as these questions seem, I think that they really will tell us who will be the next picks for the Hawks and also what our trading strategy should be.

1. that's been the question of his career.

2. good thing they changed the rule for rookie, next year might be Sheldon's last.

3. I don't think so, he could come with a high price tag, it's time to part ways and get a Center like Bogut with him.

Speedy's ft% dropped over 20% last year. Most people have a little bit of knee flex when they shoot free throws. If Speedy's knees were hurting so bad that it was affecting even his free throw shooting, I doubt he will be able to contribute much this season. What I have heard about his knee condition is that it is something that just has to be tolerated, and it doesn't sound like he is tolerating it too well.

Quote:

That to me, is the biggie. Will Smoove resign here, and given his sometimes disruptive nature, would it be in our best interests to try and do so, or would we be better off trading him? It's obvious that he and Woodson do not see eye to eye, in fact it seems like they've got some serious issues going on between themselves. So I'd think if Woody got canned, that would only improve our odds of being able to resign Smoove.

I'd love to keep him personally, but his on-court behavior at times really bothers me. We all know that Woody's an idiot and I'm sure that Smoove knows that much, much better than us. BUT, he's still the coach- and you can't have players openly disrespecting their coach like that. That's just childish, immature, punkish, BS behavior- and it damn sure isn't helpful to the team when he's getting removed from games and/or suspended for getting into it with Woody during games. As a player, you've got to at least give the appearance of respecting your coach's authority even if you think he's an absolute moron, otherwise you've got a case of the inmates running the asylum. Smoove needs to grow up emotionally, but the good part is he's still young enough to be able to do so.

Quote:

1.) I really hope he can stay healthy, but either way I don't see him as the long term future at PG for us. There is no way that we can go into this coming season with playoff aspirations and just depend on Speedy being healthy.

2.) I think Shelden will find his role on this team and settle in nicely. It's amazing how well he did when he wasn't hurt. I think it hindered him a lot more than he let on, all the same he was top 2 in rookies reb/48. I'd like to see more blocks from him though seeing as how that was a huge part of his game in college. I think he can be a serviceable player, even if he was the wrong pick.

3.)Signing Josh Smith is paramount in my opinion. He was the most influential player on the team last year in terms of win/losses. When he went down last year so did the Hawks playoff aspirations. When he returned we were an improved team. When JJ went down the Hawks responded (led by Smith) and played quality basketball. Josh Smith has such a wide impact on the game, but needs to continue to improve his shot select and turnovers. I wouldn't offer a max deal by any means, but I would make signing him a priority. He could be a top PF in the East as soon as next year. He averaged 20 ppg 10 rpg and 3 bpg to end the season in the month of March and April (22 games).

Quote:

Quote:

1.) I really hope he can stay healthy, but either way I don't see him as the long term future at PG for us. There is no way that we can go into this coming season with playoff aspirations and just depend on Speedy being healthy.

2.) I think Shelden will find his role on this team and settle in nicely. It's amazing how well he did when he wasn't hurt. I think it hindered him a lot more than he let on, all the same he was top 2 in rookies reb/48. I'd like to see more blocks from him though seeing as how that was a huge part of his game in college. I think he can be a serviceable player, even if he was the wrong pick.

3.)Signing Josh Smith is paramount in my opinion. He was the most influential player on the team last year in terms of win/losses. When he went down last year so did the Hawks playoff aspirations. When he returned we were an improved team. When JJ went down the Hawks responded (led by Smith) and played quality basketball. Josh Smith has such a wide impact on the game, but needs to continue to improve his shot select and turnovers. I wouldn't offer a max deal by any means, but I would make signing him a priority. He could be a top PF in the East as soon as next year. He averaged 20 ppg 10 rpg and 3 bpg to end the season in the month of March and April (22 games).

wishful thinking is written all over this post.

I have no faith that Craig will return to help this team significantly.

I have a good amount of faith that Shelden will find his niche, whatever position, pf or c, and help this team alot.

I am intrigued by Smoove though....more specifically his value in a trade. I really like him, despite his tantrums, but if he could net us a center, I would trade him in a heartbeat. If Milwaukee wants to have him for Bogut, do it. But if LA wants to keep Kobe, they have to get Jerry West in there and they have to acquire more talent. Maybe Smoove and Zaza would entice LA enough to trade Bynum and filler. I would be tickled if we could get Bynum instead of this Aldridge talk....not that I wouldn't be happy with Aldridge and Jack for our #3 but you know. It's nice to see the Hawks in a position to do so many interesting things. We could be sitting here just debating why to even care had we not had any picks this draft. I'm excited and just hope BK does us proud.

Quote:

We could be sitting here just debating why to even care had we not had any picks this draft.

Very true. We lucked out BIG-TIME in the lotto, especially landing the #3. This could have been an absolutely terrible offseason with nothing to look forward to RE: the draft, but now this could be one of the most exciting offseasons this team has had in years. There are now literally TONS of possibilities for us. Thank you, basketball gods! bowdown.gif

if FO truly believes that shelden can play center well, zaza will improve, and solo will add weight and be a legit center, they they may not be as worried about center position as we are (especially considering there are no centers for us to draft anyway frown.gif )

if they think speedy is 90% and then they can draft crit/law/conley at #11, then they may not be worried about pg, earmarking #11 for that

so at #3, they may look at a yi or wright

i think since no good centers in draft for us, we will look first at trades, for players like bynum, nene, daly, magloire, petro, etc

if they aren't as high on marvin as they are on wright/yi/etc then they may just draft best forward at #3 and then trade marvin

• Premium Member

Honestly, I'm not that worried about the Center position. I think our first objectives should be PG and a superstar talent. I really want Gasol and Law. I'll take Yi and Law. I can bargain for Miller and a pick for 3rd, Lo, Speedy.