• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Blazers Say There Is No Pursuit Of Conley Jr

WraithSentinel

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/462...t_of_conley_jr/

The Oregonian -

The Portland Trail Blazers suspect most of the misinformation flying around about their phantom pursuit of Mike Conley Jr. is coming from Camp Conley, which is run by Mike Conley Sr, The Oregonian is reporting.

There is no pursuit, the Blazers said. They like Conley Jr., but they like their young nucleus even more.

While it's true, a team source said, that the Blazers had a conversation with the Atlanta Hawks about their No. 3 pick, it was a single conversation that went nowhere fast.

The Hawks apparently wanted two young Blazers (LaMarcus Aldridge and Jarrett Jack) along with Portland's first pick in 2008 as part of the trade.

Nothing they say really means anything at this point though. It is in their interest to act disinterested, whether they really want him or not. So in other words, no news here other than the trade we apparently were after.

At least it's nice to see BK is trying. It can get frustrating with such a silent front office. Unfortunately for BK, you can't just post a trade thread on here and have it go through, you actually have to convince the other GM.

Well it didn't make sense to come right out of the gates and

a) publicly say you want to trade for that player which

b) increases the value of said player

still I hope it wasn't the inclusion of the 08 pick that killed the talks

on the other hand, perhaps this is a ploy to decrease Conley's value so he'll be available at the 5th slot in a rumored Celtics trade

brass ones ... I think that Aldridge and Jack is a fair trade, maybe even shifted in our favor a bit since we have seen that both Aldridge and Jack can play at a high level in the NBA and Conley is untested, but if he also asked for their 2008 pick as well that's definitely swaying it in our favor. Obviously you have to start high and I don't think BK could have started much higher. Kudos to him if this is true.

The mere fact that the Blazers are publicly denying their interest in Conley and admitting to their conversations with the Hawks says enough to me about this trade perhaps having some legs after all.

How could BK not take Aldridge and Jack alone for the #3 though? Screw the '08 pick next year. We don't need it if we get these two guys. If the Blazers are willing to trade us Aldridge and Jack for the #3 pick alone BK is friggin crazy to not take that.

Well it's always a negotiation. You start high and possibly come down. BK has been doing this for a long time. He said that in the past when Frye was breaking out, the knicks kept calling for our young forwards, but he would ask if Frye could be included, and when Isiah said he wasn't allowed to, BK said then there was nothing to talk about.

It's easy to think BK is a moron sitting there twiddling his thumbs and thinking he's a genius, because that's how he presents himself publicly. But the truth is that he's out there grinding trying to find the right moves. That doesn't excuse the fact that he hasn't found the right trades in 3 or so years, but I think people underestimate how much effort that stuff takes, and how much effort is put into it.

Quote:

Aldridge is the key to the trade. Without him it goes nowhere. Blazers clearly have no intentions of getting rid of him.

I don't see how you could know that. It's in their interest to say that Conley isn't worth all that to bring the price down. And of course they don't want to get rid of Aldridge, but they also want Conley. But sometime between now and draft day, they may decide that since we're not going to budge, letting Aldridge go is worth it to get a Conley-Roy-Oden core.

That would be the case if the PG situations was terrible. However they got two good young PG already and are proven. On top of that they got the playmaking ablility of Roy. Mike isn't a big enough need for them to trade Aldridge. They want to ship Zach out because he is basically the last remaining stench of the JailBlazer era still on that team.

Quote:

I think that Aldridge and Jack is a fair trade, maybe even shifted in our favor a bit since we have seen that both Aldridge and Jack can play at a high level in the NBA and Conley is untested

We give them our #3 for a #2 and #22 pick? Not sure I would think that's fair if I was Portland. They could use a SF, so maybe we throw in Smoove(#17), Marvin (#3), or Chillz(#6). And I'd rather have Sergio than Jack - that might be ok for PTl if they have Conley to pair with Jack (and Dickau).

• Moderators

Quote:

I agree hats off to BK for valuing the #3 pick.

It's ridiculous how easy some of you wanted to give that up

I think you are the only person repeatedly talking about how the third pick is like a bonus prize since we didn't expect to retain the pick. Most of us put a very high value on it since we are giving up our #1 unprotected next year for it. People just don't agree on the value of all of the prospects.

agree...but i will say this- aldridge and jack for the #3 is WELL worth it for the hawks even without getting portland's 1st next year... i mean aldridge was a #2 just last year...it's like we're getting a #2 plus a #22(jack) for a #3...and jack has proven his draft status and maybe a bit higher..

if i'm bk, i've gone after the big trade...so now i wait a big, maybe after conley does well in workouts (if he does), and then come back but without asking for their #1

• Premium Member

Well..

Jack really isn't all that great...

Aldridge may have injury problems. I think BK's opening Bid was strong but then again, we don't know what else PTL wanted from us. Maybe it was Marvin/#3 or Maybe it was Zaza/Smoove/#3.

• Moderators

Quote:

agree...but i will say this- aldridge and jack for the #3 is WELL worth it for the hawks even without getting portland's 1st next year... i mean aldridge was a #2 just last year...it's like we're getting a #2 plus a #22(jack) for a #3...and jack has proven his draft status and maybe a bit higher..

if i'm bk, i've gone after the big trade...so now i wait a big, maybe after conley does well in workouts (if he does), and then come back but without asking for their #1

In terms of a 2/22 for 3, that doesn't mean much to me since they are not picks from the same draft.

I would not trade a #2, 4 and 5 in this draft for a #1, 2 and 3 in last year's draft.

Quote:

agree...but i will say this- aldridge and jack for the #3 is WELL worth it for the hawks even without getting portland's 1st next year... i mean aldridge was a #2 just last year...it's like we're getting a #2 plus a #22(jack) for a #3...

Those numbers (#2 & #22) don't matter any more. Would you say I don't want to trade #3 for #13(Kobe)?

Quote:

Well..

Jack really isn't all that great...

doh.gif

He'd start for at least half of the teams in the league and he is improving. He plays great defense, can score and after being at 75% roughly his entire rookie year he came on and had an excellent sophomore season. He is not neccesarily the best distributor but showed improvement in that area as well.

Quote:

Quote:

I agree hats off to BK for valuing the #3 pick.

It's ridiculous how easy some of you wanted to give that up

I think you are the only person repeatedly talking about how the third pick is like a bonus prize since we didn't expect to retain the pick. Most of us put a very high value on it since we are giving up our #1 unprotected next year for it. People just don't agree on the value of all of the prospects.

I never said that.

I said it is a bonus so we should spend it on a big time DRAFT PICK.

We should take a gamble on Wright or Yi because we're playing with house money.