• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Conoly vs Tony Parker Compare Them!

thescout5

Since we have enough threads on Conoly and whether he should be the 3rd pick how would you compare Conoly to Tony Parker. Parker sets up the offense with drives to the hole and either dumping it off or going in for the layup. Besides Duncan he probably is the no2 most valuable for the Spurs. From what I see here are a few things that are similar.

1.Both are blazing fast create havoc and have good court vision to find the open player.

2.Both have suspect outside shots and rely on driving to score.

3.Parker is a little bigger at 6'3 perhaps 6'2 and Conoly is 6'1.

4.Both were very young entering the NBA.

At this point until the Hawks bring in the guards to compare each others game I think Conoly is a better distributer than Law or Crit. Crit will cause problems for other teams being 6-5 but if you want speed and creating havoc on defense Conoly does it for me.This is not an argument for the 3rd pick and comparing conoly to the other forwards. I would like to here the boards view of Conoly vs Tony Parker if there is a comparison since we have had every other type of post about MC.

It is funny how some can look at NBAdraft.net and automatically call Law the next Billups but in no way can see Conley as the next Tony Parker. I see a lot of Parker in Conley, except without the Frenchness. I think where the comparison ends is Eva Longoria - unless MCJ can use the power of the third player taken in the draft - she will never be courtside at Phillip's. That is a shame - a dirty shame.

Quote:

I think where the comparison ends is Eva Longoria - unless MCJ can use the power of the third player taken in the draft - she will never be courtside at Phillip's. That is a shame - a dirty shame.

Yeah but we have Emmanuel Lewis.

Quote:

Quote:

I think Parker is significantly faster than Conley.

Please explain how you've come to this conclusion.

If they keep records of suicide times and sprint times at the Hawks camp...I bet Conley shatters them.

The guy is a blurrr.

And to me it's even more important that he knows what to do with speed (like Parker does). The greatest PGs of all time weren't and aren't all that fast in many cases, but they were and are excellent at adjusting their speed to disect a defense.

Conley doesn't always look like he's going so fast because he uses adjustments to gain an advantage. Dickie V blabbered about this all season.

• Premium Member

I don't think Law is the next Billups. He shoots too well for that. I definitely don't see Conley as being the next Tony Parker unless he goes to PTL with Oden and He somehow improves his speed and gets taller... Tony Parker is helped by having Tim Duncan as his teammate in the post, keeping the lane wide open. You notice that Manu Ginobili also is an expert at driving now. That's what you do when you have a dominate post player. It's why Lue could drive and dish as a Laker but as a Hawk, he dribbles the paint off the ball.

I thought guys like Shaq and Duncan clog up the lane with defenders making it MORE difficult to drive the lane.

At the time Lue was with LA he was 6 years younger & 15 pounds lighter. I think that is why he drove the lane more then he does now.

At that time he was the "AI stoppper." He actually had the speed & quickness to keep a young AI in front of him in the Finals.

Lue has definatly lost a step since those days. Playing with pulled or strained hamstrings doesn't help either.

Quote:

And to me it's even more important that he knows what to do with speed (like Parker does). The greatest PGs of all time weren't and aren't all that fast in many cases, but they were and are excellent at adjusting their speed to disect a defense.

Conley doesn't always look like he's going so fast because he uses adjustments to gain an advantage. Dickie V blabbered about this all season.

Perhaps he's deceptively fast.

But I just see Tony Parker up there with Leandro Barbosa as one of the fastest PGs in the league.

Like I said, the only guy who looked that fast to me last year was Ty Lawson.

Either way, he will never be as cool as Tony Parker!

• Premium Member

I didn't say that. Billups has a defensive part to his game that I guess these prognosticators never consider. Still, I think if Law's shooting translates well, he will shoot better than Billups, but I don't think he will be the defender that Billups has become.

I went to the Final 4 and saw him in person and was blown away with his quicks. He was cat quick and until you see him up close you can't appreciate how quick he gets to the cup.

I know my going to two Conley games doesn't compare to Busboys watching Yi on Youtube but I thought I would throw it in anyway.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure which is funnier:

Quote:

I know my going to two Conley games doesn't compare to Busboys watching Yi on Youtube but I thought I would throw it in anyway.

-or-

Quote:

Dickie V blabbered about this all season.

(Blabbered is such a perfect word for Vitale. Is it a combination of blather and blab?).

Quote:

I didn't say that. Billups has a defensive part to his game that I guess these prognosticators never consider. Still, I think if Law's shooting translates well, he will shoot better than Billups, but I don't think he will be the defender that Billups has become.

I agree.

Did you see the 3 pointer Billups hit last night that put the Pistons up by two. Then Prince got stuck in mud and James blew right by for a dunk to tie. I have no idea why Hamilton was not on James. He is quick enough to force James to shoot a jumper from the outside, James blows by Prince at will. Prince is a good defender but looks slow next to King James.

Then Big Shot Billups almost hit another jumper at the end of regualtion, Snow got him on the arm but the ref swallowed the whistle.

I hope Acie turns out to be that kind of clutch PG like Billups / Cassell. He has definatly played the part in college. That is one thing that is not taught: the leadership and clutch character traits that you either have them or you don't. Law has got them. Conley has ice running through his veins too. Both players rise to the occaision in the clutch, that is the best trait of a PG/ floor general.

Quote:

I went to the Final 4 and saw him in person and was blown away with his quicks. He was cat quick and until you see him up close you can't appreciate how quick he gets to the cup.

Well I know exactly what you mean about not appreciating speed until you see it in person.

I remember Devin Hester returning a blocked kick vs my Gators in the Peach Bowl. That's the fastest player I've ever seen at a sporting event.

Perhaps that's why Gator fans appreciate Noah more than all the people saying he will be a bust because the guy runs the floor like a deer.

All Im saying is if you are going to say Mike Conley compares with Tony Parker you are comparing him with a guy regarded as arguably the fastest PG in the league AND one of the best finishers around the basket.

There is a difference between fast and FASTEST PG IN THE NBA.

I'm just trying to clarify that.

Is Mike Conley Jr really THIS fast and great at finishing?

From the year of college basketball I watched, Ty Lawson was the only PG in the nation that was this fast and he was not nearly as good a finisher as Parker.

Quote:

Quote:

Is Mike Conley Jr really THIS fast and great at finishing?

Yes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4ThGBn9NcE

Keep in mind that's with Oden on the bench, also in the Final four against a great Gtown team.

Well that was an impressive move.

He's definitely quick.

I've never denied that, Im just saying to compare him to Parker is comparing him to probably the fastest starting PG in the NBA.

There is an in between you know.