• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

What will our team look like if we trade for Gasol

DavidSomerset

I'm guessing we'd have to give up a bit more than the #3 pick...Maybe #3 and Speedy? Or is that still not enough?

Anyways, here's my thoughts...I think we'd take Crit at 11 (I'd probably prefer Law, but it sounds like BK is more into Crit), so here's how it would look, IMO.

AJ/Crit

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chillz

Smoove/Shelden

Gasol/Zaza/Solo

I think that team absolutely makes the playoffs with relatively good health...And we are still very, very young with room to grow.

grin.gif

Quote:

I'm guessing we'd have to give up a bit more than the #3 pick...Maybe #3 and Speedy? Or is that still not enough?

Anyways, here's my thoughts...I think we'd take Crit at 11 (I'd probably prefer Law, but it sounds like BK is more into Crit), so here's how it would look, IMO.

AJ/Crit

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chillz

Smoove/Shelden

Gasol/Zaza/Solo

I think that team absolutely makes the playoffs with relatively good health...And we are still very, very young with room to grow.

grin.gif

it's gunna be tough to make the playoffs without a legit PG... But Gasol would be a good addition and it would allow the bench to be a tad deeper... Really though, it would be great if Soloman Jones could start and play about 20MPG and start Gasol a the PF and Smoove at the three.

Marvin hasn't earned a starting spot. He is NOT needed in that starting lineup.

Quote:

Quote:

AJ/Crit

JJ/Salim

Marvin/Chillz

Smoove/Shelden

Gasol/Zaza/Solo

grin.gif

it's gunna be tough to make the playoffs without a legit PG... But Gasol would be a good addition and it would allow the bench to be a tad deeper... Really though, it would be great if Soloman Jones could start and play about 20MPG and start Gasol a the PF and Smoove at the three.

Marvin hasn't earned a starting spot. He is NOT needed in that starting lineup.

Yep I agree Marvin hasnt earned nothing at all. He is just given the job because he was picked so damn High. If he doesnt show any signs of improvment other then once in a while hitting a jumper we better start looking for a new SF because he doesnt do nothing else but shoot jumpers and FTs hands down one of the most clumsiest players in the NBA today.

It will be tough to make the playoffs without a legit PG but at least its a start. I hear folks trying to compare this to the SAR deal and being gunshy because of it. I disagree because this squad has much more talent around it than it did when that deal went down. They had Theo and Kukoc but they ended up injured more often than not. And as far as the young players, there is no comparison.

Gasol would provide the Hawks with a post presence on the offensive end that they haven't had in years. He would be in the East where there is Bosh, an oft-injured Okafor and O'Neal (if he isn't sent west), Jefferson, an aging Shaq, Big Z who is aging and oft-injured, Howard, the bullies in Detroit, and Curry, which is far less formidable than the folks he had to deal with in the Western Conference.

As for Marvin Williams, although his numbers went up, he still has the 'deer in headlights' look to me when he's on the court. I hope that changes for the better this coming season. It has to.

Where's Lue and Lo in your figures? I know Lo ain't much, but I think he'd have to be included since he's under contract. Here's my take and it works for both teams under the CBA:

Trade Speedy Claxton, Josh Childress and the #11 pick for Pau Gasol

Use the #3 pick to draft Mike Conley, Jr.

Memphis could use the #4 pick to draft Wright and the #11 pick to draft Hawes

Atlanta

Conley/Lue/AJ

JJ/Salim

Smoove/Marvin

Gasol/Shelden

Pachulia/Wright/Jones

This gives us a better defensive team with respects to adding another shot blocker in Gasol and better height on the floor rather than the speedy lineup we seem to never fully utilize. This would still give us the opportunity to play "smaller" with an alternate lineup of:

Conley

JJ

Marvin

Smoove

Gasol

Memphis can use their picks to address their most pressing need of replacing the hole left by Gasol and getting some much needed big men. They have some vets at PG so maybe they don't address that need although none of their options are great.

Use #4 to draft Brandan Wright and #11 to draft Hawes (Noah if he's available but unlikely) They may elect to replace Gasol with an Asian clone in Jianlian

Atkins/Claxton/Stoudamire

Miller/Jones

Warrick/Chilldress

Gay/Wright

Swift/Hawes

They could sign a vet C as well or use some of their excess to trade for another vet to help fill one of those holes.

What do ya'll think?

Guest Walter

jdu...

Quote:

Dragitoff...

Quote:

You aren't getting Gasol for less than #3/Childress (unlikely) or MW/ZaZa/Lue. jdu, how does Speedy make the deal better for Memphis? That's just plain crazy. Dragitoff, how do you expect to keep the best pick, the best Sf prospect, and get rid of Speedy's contract?

He's a legit awesome post player. A great pairing with JJ and JS. He's not a center but he can play it. He's not an all-star defender but he's far better than ZaZa and he blocks shots well.

I'd still like a lineup of Critt, JJ, JC, JS, Gasol. Weak bench though. I might start SW for now and puch JS to Sf if only so we have some scoring in JC off the bench.

Boy do we need that 2nd rd pick we sent for AJ. Dudley would make this work. He could instantly fill in at SF and be an emotional/vocal leader for us.

W

Pau doesn't even come close to playing above average defense. He is a terrible defender that gives little to no effort on that end of the court. He will block a few shots coming from the help side, but he does not maintain his defensive position in the post.

Well, I've never seen Horford get 20/10 and shoot over 50% from the field; I have seen Gasol do it, though. That's not to say that Horford couldn't; its just that we can't afford whoever we get at 3 to be a project guy because we're already loaded with those type of players already.

I'd rather go for more of a sure thing right now. We can't expect to continue stockpiling youngster after youngster and expect them all to stay here while the pain keeps coming (i.e. more losing).

Quote:

jdu...

Quote:

Dragitoff...

Quote:

You aren't getting Gasol for less than #3/Childress (unlikely) or MW/ZaZa/Lue. jdu, how does Speedy make the deal better for Memphis? That's just plain crazy. Dragitoff, how do you expect to keep the best pick, the best Sf prospect, and get rid of Speedy's contract?

He's a legit awesome post player. A great pairing with JJ and JS. He's not a center but he can play it. He's not an all-star defender but he's far better than ZaZa and he blocks shots well.

I'd still like a lineup of Critt, JJ, JC, JS, Gasol. Weak bench though. I might start SW for now and puch JS to Sf if only so we have some scoring in JC off the bench.

Boy do we need that 2nd rd pick we sent for AJ. Dudley would make this work. He could instantly fill in at SF and be an emotional/vocal leader for us.

W

Well,you want to rip my "silly" idea, but how bout' you thinking Crittendon will come straight out of college, leaving early mind you, and start for this team when we have Lue, AJ, and Speedy all under contract. While none of those are great options, they are vets and we know how loyal Woody is to those vets. We might have to trade Memphis the 3rd pick instead of the 11th, but I think Gasol's very unhappy in Memphis and they want to do what it takes to move him. It might not be as drastic as Portland trying to move Randolph, but I think it's close.