• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Oregonian > Pritchard shopping for another #1 pick

sturt

• Premium Member

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian....xml&coll=7

Quote:

One first-round pick not enough

The Blazers appear willing to deal second-round choices and one or more players to get another top selection

Thursday, June 07, 2007

JASON QUICK

Even though he already owns the No. 1 pick in the NBA draft, Kevin Pritchard is not satisfied.

The Oregonian has learned that the Trail Blazers general manager is plotting to land another first-round pick through a trade on or before the day of the draft (June 28).

That pick probably would be in the mid- to late first round, but sources say that Pritchard has been flirting with teams in the top 10 as well as listening to offers from other teams...........

Man...wouldn't it be fun to have that kind of management here. Granted they lucked into the Oden deal...but the aggressiveness in trying to build a team out there is laudible. As a Hawks fan we hear from BK twice a year or so and when we do he doesn't say anything.

Quote:

A potential target for the Blazers could be Florida State's Al Thornton, a 6-foot-8 forward expected to be a top-10 pick. Pritchard said the Blazers are trying to add Thornton to their workout schedule the week before the draft.

"I don't know if it will happen, but we are definitely trying," Pritchard said. "Why not get a free look at guys?"

If they want free looks why not schedule Conley?

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

A potential target for the Blazers could be Florida State's Al Thornton, a 6-foot-8 forward expected to be a top-10 pick. Pritchard said the Blazers are trying to add Thornton to their workout schedule the week before the draft.

"I don't know if it will happen, but we are definitely trying," Pritchard said. "Why not get a free look at guys?"

If they want free looks why not schedule Conley?

Rhetorical or serious question?

Just in case... the article indicates that draftable players are time-conscious, and don't want to work out for a team that doesn't appear to have the slot to draft them.

Stating the obvious... this would appear to give some substantial additional credibility to the Jack for #11 trade, since this is evidence that Pritchard is telling the agents of the players mentioned definitively that he's got a slot locked up and interested in them.

So... putting this news together with the news of the LA trip to watch Yi, I guess it's altogether possible that we come out of this with Yi, (or still possibly Horford), plus Jack.

Not my favorite scenario, but not my least favorite, either.

sleep1.gif

Quote:

Man...wouldn't it be fun to have that kind of management here. Granted they lucked into the Oden deal...but the aggressiveness in trying to build a team out there is laudible. As a Hawks fan we hear from BK twice a year or so and when we do he doesn't say anything.

I couldn't agree more. Just go back to last year's draft. Portland really controlled it with all the moves they made.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Pritchard doesn't just talk a good game. He walks one too. His trades are great and significant. His draft picks FAR better than BK could do.

We need BK to hit a homerun on this one. Slim chance. Against Pritchard? No chance.

W

Quote:

this would appear to give some substantial additional credibility to the Jack for #11 trade, since this is evidence that Pritchard is telling the agents of the players mentioned definitively that he's got a slot locked up and interested in them.

So... putting this news together with the news of the LA trip to watch Yi, I guess it's altogether possible that we come out of this with Yi, (or still possibly Horford), plus Jack.

I agree that Yi at 3 is looking more likely. i would prefer Law to Jack but if they trade for Jack i could certainly understand it.

I have a feeling that there is more involved in the deal than just Jack for 11th.

• Premium Member

Quote:

I have a feeling that there is more involved in the deal than just Jack for 11th.

Agreed... one of their four 2nd rounders, at least. But I'm failing to see where another draft pick that late is going to mean anything.

Quote:

Quote:

this would appear to give some substantial additional credibility to the Jack for #11 trade, since this is evidence that Pritchard is telling the agents of the players mentioned definitively that he's got a slot locked up and interested in them.

I agree that Yi at 3 is looking more likely. i would prefer Law to Jack but if they trade for Jack i could certainly understand it.

Me too. Hoping its Prz with some +/-.

Quote:

Hoping its Prz with some +/-.

I have wanted Prz for a long time and i think he would be perfect with a forward combo of Smith/Yi. Smith/Yi would present matchup problems for the other team offensively but at times we would be vulnerable defensively. Having a 7'1" shotblocker in the middle would erase a lot of mistakes.

Plus they have Oden/Aldride and Lafrentz who can play C now. I can't see how they can find minutes for Prz.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

I have wanted Prz for a long time and i think he would be perfect with a forward combo of Smith/Yi. Smith/Yi would present matchup problems for the other team offensively but at times we would be vulnerable defensively. Having a 7'1" shotblocker in the middle would erase a lot of mistakes.

Plus they have Oden/Aldride and Lafrentz who can play C now. I can't see how they can find minutes for Prz.

I don't have the citations to prove it, but I know that I've read that the combination of Pryz not playing as well in 06-07 and his contract are making PTL fans very suspicious that finding a taker to relocate Pryz is second only to finding a taker to relocate Randolph.

But as I've pointed out time-and-again here, that would be a sticking point for BK... he appears determined to not absorb bad contracts to make a deal work, and especially for someone who doesn't start.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I don't have the citations to prove it, but I know that I've read that the combination of Pryz not playing as well in 06-07 and his contract are making PTL fans very suspicious that finding a taker to relocate Pryz is second only to finding a taker to relocate Randolph.

But as I've pointed out time-and-again here, that would be a sticking point for BK... he appears determined to not absorb bad contracts to make a deal work, and especially for someone who doesn't start.

At the very least, Prz will play better than Lo. Prz contract isn't bad for a shot blocking center who makes nice combo with our skilled forwards.

Guest Walter

Quote:

Quote:

I think this is a good move for both teams, frankly. WE could use Pryz, Portland can't, and Pryz isn't all that expensive.

Unfortunately, my take is that Billy ran Pryz off the first time. I don't want to give up 11 unless Jack or Sergio (my preference come back also). Still want to think about it.

W

Prz had injury problems last year, inlcuding what was reported to be a painful situation with the family jewels that required surgery. Then late in the year i think he hyperextended his knee.

He is making only the MLE which isn't bad for a true center who can play D and block shots.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Prz had injury problems last year, inlcuding what was reported to be a painful situation with the family jewels that required surgery. Then late in the year i think he hyperextended his knee.

He is making only the MLE which isn't bad for a true center who can play D and block shots.

He's about 6.5 mil per year for the next 4 years.

That is the MLE. Portland was over the cap when they resigned him and they didn't have his Bird rights.

If the Hawks get Jack/Prz and Yi then basically they shouldn't need any other major additions. It is just a matter of seeing how the players develop.

The Hawks would have only $10.5 million invested in their center spot (not including Blow or Solomon) which is fine.

Quote:

That is the MLE. Portland was over the cap when they resigned him and they didn't have his Bird rights.

If the Hawks get Jack/Prz and Yi then basically they shouldn't need any other major additions. It is just a matter of seeing how the players develop.

The Hawks would have only $10.5 million invested in their center spot (not including Blow or Solomon) which is fine.

Yes at this point Jack/Prz/Yi would fulfill my off season fantasy.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Nah I don't think that's accurate. Also recent reports are that he is rehabbing very well in the offseason. His money is not all that bad for possibly the best backup center in the league. Plus he won big points here for staying with PTL rather than signing with another team last year and is a fan favorite. If he is traded it won't be this year (and I seriously doubt he will be traded unless he requests it).