• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Can Shelden Play the 5? (Nice Twist in Draft)

BusBoyIsBack

Quote:

nope

yi/horford and then conley/law/crit at 11

a) conley MAY VERY WELL fall to 11!

b) the gap from conley to law/crit is NOT very big, but the gap from yi/horford to young is big AND we have no need for another sf

Yeah I know.

Im just saying, if we think Shelden can play the 5, then technically that means we only need one position in this draft instead of two.

So we could take the best guy at that single position.

I've changed my mind on Conley. He still can't shoot, but man he is sick on paper. I thought no way does he compare to Paul and Ford but on paper he's a better prospect than both.

And man Thaddeus Young pushing Marvin would be awesome. Then we trade one of them.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/sports?ch=...920&lang=en

I like Shelden as our Brian Grant, but the guy is only 6"8. How in the world is he going to stop a Shaq or Yao jumpshot?

That's the only reason I'm a bit skeptical. I mean, guarding Duncan and Shaq and Yao will be impossible if they just shoot hooks over him.

I am NOT a Shelden hater. I like him a lot as a player.

Quote:

I like Shelden as our Brian Grant, but the guy is only 6"8. How in the world is he going to stop a Shaq or Yao jumpshot?

That's the only reason I'm a bit skeptical. I mean, guarding Duncan and Shaq and Yao will be impossible if they just shoot hooks over him.

But a hookshot is really an unblockable period.

At least he can put a body on them which can throw off a shot or stop them from getting low on the block for a gimme 2.

Quote:

Quote:

But a hookshot is really an unblockable period.

At least he can put a body on them which can throw off a shot or stop them from getting low on the block for a gimme 2.

That's true. I wouldn't mind seeing Shelden with the body he has right now, but FASTER next season. I really think this guy will be a double double machine soon, although most of the board disagrees.

If we wanted to package our picks for a big, I wouldn't mind bringing Candace Parker in to play PG for us. She probably will school atleast 2 of our 3 PG's in a 1 on 1.

But anyway, I would like to see some Killer Instinct in Shelden soon (JJ and Smoove are developing it). This guy played in a tough system at Duke, was defensive college player of the year twice and led Duke in blocks

Lol speaking of Candace I think that will make Shelden play harder.

I know someone else may have hinted at this. But you know Shelden wants to show out for his GF and maybe even compete against her. Heck if we got Yi and got some games on TV, he would REALLY want to show out for her.

Shelden actually has the 2nd highest bench press at the combine in the last 7 years. The only couple of guys higher have a mere 1 rep more.

Add the low body fat Shelden registered with and that shows that 258 pounds he had were mostly mucsle. He puts 15 more on and he could really be a beast.

There wouldn't be a C in the league once Shaq retires that could have his way with Shelden on the block if he weighed 275 in solid muscle.

Quote:

Lol speaking of Candace I think that will make Shelden play harder.

I know someone else may have hinted at this. But you know Shelden wants to show out for his GF and maybe even compete against her. Heck if we got Yi and got some games on TV, he would REALLY want to show out for her.

Shelden actually has the 2nd highest bench press at the combine in the last 7 years. The only couple of guys higher have a mere 1 rep more.

Add the low body fat Shelden registered with and that shows that 258 pounds he had were mostly mucsle. He puts 15 more on and he could really be a beast.

There wouldn't be a C in the league once Shaq retires that could have his way with Shelden on the block if he weighed 275 in solid muscle.

Yeah I saw some special on Sports South or whatever they call it where the two were doing exactly that--trying to show out to each other.

I would also like to see these players who came from elite schools (Marvin-UNC, Shelden-Duke, Smoove-best HS in the country) show some more "Killer Instinct" in them or something. I don't know what I'm talking about, but just more firepower in their eyes. Deron Williams has that "look" that we need to strive for.

I also think Shelden wants to show out to the staff to. In the AJC back in March (maybe?) he had some quote that he couldn't produce numbers without PT. If you look at his numbers now, he averaged 5/5 in 18 MPG. Double that, that's a double double a game. I would also like to see if Solomon Jones put on some muscle this summer. He has some potential

Quote:

I would also like to see these players who came from elite schools (Marvin-UNC, Shelden-Duke, Smoove-best HS in the country) show some more "Killer Instinct" in them or something. I don't know what I'm talking about, but just more firepower in their eyes. Deron Williams has that "look" that we need to strive for.

I know exactly what you're talking about and that is why I want Acie Law so bad. That man gets amped up. That's why Noah is #2 on my list. Not only is Noah an athletic 7 footer, but my goodness does he pump up his teammates and the fans.

I know he seems obnoxious when you're on the other team or pulling for the other team, but man could a guy like that light a fire under some of the guys on this team.

That alone would warrant a top 3 pick.

If we got Law and Noah, this team might win 40 games with how pumped up this team would be.

We have to get one of those two guys, we just have to.

Sheldon can play an aging Shaq like Ben Wallace plays him- pushing him out of the low box, and generally making Shaq work very hard for position.

I said it last week, Sheldon can be our Ben Wallace, with a little more offense if Woody sees to use him that way.

Hence, if Sheldon plays center, we can take Yi with the 3rd pick, and then use 11 to get a young, vet point- Jack, Monta Ellis, Ridinour. Or we could go after a more vet guy like Tinsley.

We can also keep 11 and just trade Chilz for a vet point as well.

Quote:

Sheldon can play an aging Shaq like Ben Wallace plays him- pushing him out of the low box, and generally making Shaq work very hard for position.

I said it last week, Sheldon can be our Ben Wallace, with a little more offense if Woody sees to use him that way.

Hence, if Sheldon plays center, we can take Yi with the 3rd pick, and then use 11 to get a young, vet point- Jack, Monta Ellis, Ridinour. Or we could go after a more vet guy like Tinsley.

We can also keep 11 and just trade Chilz for a vet point as well.

I agree with everything except trading Chillz for a vet PG. That's just a downright terrible decision. Chillz in the coming years will be a 6th man candidate if this team is better or on any team he goes to. I would only include Chillz in a Garnett or Jermaine package at this point

Quote:

No body can guard Shaq so that's a mute point. There are situations where he can play 5 during certain matchups. And I don't thing it is so much about his height as it is his girth. He can get position under the basket and he has long arms. He needs to take a martial arts to learn how to use his size for leverage.

Quote:

Quote:

nope

yi/horford and then conley/law/crit at 11

a) conley MAY VERY WELL fall to 11!

b) the gap from conley to law/crit is NOT very big, but the gap from yi/horford to young is big AND we have no need for another sf

Yeah I know.

Im just saying, if we think Shelden can play the 5, then technically that means we only need one position in this draft instead of two.

So we could take the best guy at that single position.

I've changed my mind on Conley. He still can't shoot, but man he is sick on paper. I thought no way does he compare to Paul and Ford but on paper he's a better prospect than both.

And man Thaddeus Young pushing Marvin would be awesome. Then we trade one of them.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/sports?ch=...2904920&lang=en

yeah on paper, skill wise NO!!! Well maybe Ford. Anyways he could very well fall to us at 11.

Memphis: They'll be stupid to take him, because there not going anywhere they're rebuilding, so why not take a potiential superstar in Wright, and try to get Derrick Rose next season, whose 10x time better than any PG in this draft. Not trying to critize the Pgs in this draft, Rose is just that good.

Milwaukee: They feel they're still a playoff team, and they probaly don't think a 19 year old Pg would help bring them back to the playoffs.

Sacramento: This is the team that could very well pick him, but they also need a 3/4 type player, so if Jeff green or Al thorton is still there, they might pick him instead.

• Premium Member

IF Shelden can play C let's say 28 mpg...

How does that affect our PG choice in the draft? It doesn't. It's still our best option to take the best talent at 3 (Yi) and go for a PG at 11.

Like it or not, Conley's hype is falling. The reason being is because he cannot shoot, he's small, and when you play with a dominant big on a good team you're supposed to have a good A/TO ratio.

The Landlord can play Center for us. He is a beast! He will just have to start collecting some rent. He can easily be a double double machine if he could get at least 25+ min. a game. His numbers showed that all last year when he got some burn.

• Premium Member

I think C helps Landlord because he knows where he's supposed to be. When we had him playing a Josh Smith like Pf, guarding people all up around the perimeter and in the high post, of course he didn't fair so well. However, when he sat down in the paint he did well. For a defensive guru, Woody hasn't shown me much.

Shelden, at 6'8 actually has a natural advantage, especially considering his strength and bulk. In football, they tell you to "keep you pads down" to gain leverage. Shelden is even harder to move because he has the low leverage on you.

Now, if we run into a guy who is eating him up on mid-range jumpers, you have to be able to counter that. But most of the time, I can live with an opposing C taking 12 foot hook shots and jumpers as opposed to layups and dunks.