• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Al Horford Should Be Our Pick

BusBoyIsBack

Ever since we got the 3rd pick, I've been excited about the opportunity to get several talented players that could contribute to this team.

But when you talk about a player who gives us a best chance to win a title, it's clear that we need to take Al Horford.

We have all been preaching that we need a 1 and 5 in this draft. And I'll admit that Yi Jianlian is not exactly going to be an effective 5 or at least not in the next few years. And Brandan Wright may never be able to play the 5.

The only two players outside of Oden who have a chance to play C in this league are the two Gators. But the one with the more upside at that position because of experience and because of his broad shoulders is Al Horford.

With Horford's ability to play in the post on both ends of the floor he could be our poor man's Tim Duncan.

Although he won't be as exciting as Yi or Wright, in the grand scheme of things, adding him to this team gives us a better chance of winning a title.

So although Noah, Wright, and Yi could all contribute to this team, I've finally realized that Horford is the best player for this team.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/sports?ch=...955&lang=en

Who do you suppose you will favor next week? You have made passionate defenses for several players. We still have two weeks and I'm guessing you have time to flip flop another 2-3 times. I'll wait until the 28th to see your final choice.

You may come around to Conley by then.

Quote:

With Horford's ability to play in the post on both ends of the floor he could be our poor man's Tim Duncan.

Although he won't be as exciting as Yi or Wright, in the grand scheme of things, adding him to this team gives us a better chance of winning a title.

So although Noah, Wright, and Yi could all contribute to this team, I've finally realized that Horford is the best player for this team.

http://cosmos.bcst.yahoo.com/up/sports?ch=...2904955&lang=en

We already have a PF we drafted in hopes he could do the "little things" to make us better. He'll probably end up being our starting Center before it's all said and done. Horford's a great player (I'm an avid Noles fan so you have no idea how hard it was for me to say that), but I really don't think we need to draft another player that might be just like Shelden.

Quote:

Who do you suppose you will favor next week? You have made passionate defenses for several players. We still have two weeks and I'm guessing you have time to flip flop another 2-3 times. I'll wait until the 28th to see your final choice.

You may come around to Conley by then.

I've always "favored" keeping the pick and either getting Yi, Wright, Noah, Horford, or Conley.

And I still favor getting one of those 5 guys over anything else.

Anything other than one of those 5 guys is unacceptable.

But Im saying the BEST thing we can do with that pick is take Horford.

The reason is because you guys are right, Yi, Noah, and Wright don't look like center prospects right now because they aren't big and strong enough to play the 5.

But HORFORD IS.

And he has broad shoulders to add even more weight. He could have Dwight Howard strength in a few years.

He's basically a more athletic Okafor.

Although Okafor does have a couple inches on him in standing reach, I think that is a bit overrated and canceled out by the fact that Horford has a higher vert and overall has more athleticism.

Horford also has a legit post game with his polished back to the basket game.

If we took two NBA-ready prospects in Horford and Law, I think the impact they would have on this team would be phenomenal and honestly I think they both are talented and mature enough to get big time minutes as early as next year.

Unfortunately Im afraid BK may not have interest in Horford because we have Shelden but that would be a HUGE mistake seeing that Horford is a significantly better pro prospect with his added length and athleticism.

Quote:

We already have a PF we drafted in hopes he could do the "little things" to make us better. He'll probably end up being our starting Center before it's all said and done. Horford's a great player (I'm an avid Noles fan so you have no idea how hard it was for me to say that), but I really don't think we need to draft another player that might be just like Shelden.

This line of thinking is why I probably wasn't on the Horford bandwagon from day one.

But when you look closer you realize Shelden isn't any taller than Josh Smith and his standing reach isn't any taller than Joe Johnson's

He's also not as good an athlete as Horford.

With Horford's standing reach and vert over Shelden he basically has a whole half of foot over him when he fully elevates

While I don't agree with your love affair for Florida (im guessing you go there?), I do agree that Horford is probably the best fit for our team. (But Yi has more upside).

If he really does amount to his ceiling as a more athletic Okafor, then he would look great as our starting 5. I like his game.

I just think we'll prolly take Yi cause of $$$

Yeah im not excited about a 6'8 guy playing center(Shelden). Shelden couldnt guard an athletic, strong, big if he wanted to. Ie Cedric Simmons of NC State. No wonder they are giving him time at center. He cant keep up with the pfs of the nba.

At least in Horford you have a guy who is already strong and can put more weight on to his long frame. He can run the floor, play defense, be a post threat as well as having a decent mid range game. Out of the box Horford is gonna be a 15 and 10 guy.

Quote:

Quote:

If we took two NBA-ready prospects in Horford and Law, I think the impact they would have on this team would be phenomenal and honestly I think they both are talented and mature enough to get big time minutes as early as next year.

Unfortunately Im afraid BK may not have interest in Horford because we have Shelden but that would be a HUGE mistake seeing that Horford is a significantly better pro prospect with his added length and athleticism.

[/indent]

I agree 100% on Hoford and Law bwing the best picks for us at #3 & #11.

Don't want the drama of trying to groom Smith, Williams, & Yi. Waiting on Marvin and Smoove to grow up is hard enough. There would be alot of external pressure to give Yi minutes even he can't out play Smoove or Marvin

Quote:

While I don't agree with your love affair for Florida (im guessing you go there?), I do agree that Horford is probably the best fit for our team. (But Yi has more upside).

If he really does amount to his ceiling as a more athletic Okafor, then he would look great as our starting 5. I like his game.

I just think we'll prolly take Yi cause of $$$

I love Yi and I've been on his bandwagon from day one but let's be honest, he doesn't look like he is going to scare anyone defensively anytime soon ESPECIALLY from the C position.

And when it comes to winning championships, that defense is more important.

Sure Amare Stoudemire is 100 times more exciting than Tim Duncan but he's not a more effective player because of defense.

Horford will be a much better interior defender than Yi because of his strength and because of his knack for playing D in the post.

What about all the talks of his interior-D struggles against Oden in the finals? (which I didnt get to see b/c I was traveling)

I'd like to hear what you got to say, having seen a lot more of him than myself.

Can he guard NBA 5s on a nightly basis?

Quote:

What about all the talks of his interior-D struggles against Oden in the finals? (which I didnt get to see b/c I was traveling)

I'd like to hear what you got to say, having seen a lot more of him than myself.

Can he guard NBA 5s on a nightly basis?

Here's what I've basically concluded.

Since we have lost the Oden sweepstakes, Al Horford is our best chance at an interior defender. We have to take that chance.

Noah, Wright, and Yi don't have the size or experience to play the 5.

Horford does.

No one is going to shut down teh Tim Duncans and Dwight Howards of the world, but you can at least contain them or make them work for their boards unlike we have done ever since we lost Dikembe Mutombo.

Quote:

Hortford would get plenty of minutes cause he is a big man and plays big under the basket

Horford's standing reach is .5" higher than Smith and he weighs only 4 pounds more. The only way he gets plenty of minutes is if Smith is injured.

Quote:

Horford duplicates what we already have and he does not have transcendent skills or marketability. Yi does.

Hoford is not a Sheldon Williams clone. Hoford is 1.25'' taller, 4'' better standing reach, a much better athelete, much more fluid then Sheldon.

Who cares about marketablity. Yi is not marketable if he turns out to be Darko.

Defense = wins. Yi may look good, but no defense Yi = no wins for Hawks