• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Alright D, how do we get in on the Garnett trade?

Admin

Boston and Minnesota agreed to a trade of Garnett and Hudson to Boston for Jefferson, the #5, Theo, Telfair, and Wally.

Garnett rejected that deal saying he won't play in Boston.

Garnett wants to play for the Suns and the Suns want him but are trying to build their trade around Marion and the 2008 pick from us. The Wolves want Stoudemire out of the deal.

So Diesel .... how do we get involved in this? Anyone else have thoughts?

We don't. Giving up any of our young talent for someone KG's age just doesn't make sense. KG won't do it cause we won't be competing for a championship in the next couple years. We won't do it because we won't be competing for a championship in the next couple years. Stay the course with the young talent and, if we make a trade, it'll be for a young vet.

• Premium Member

From 5/26/07:

Click and scroll down to BETTER INFORMING THE ORIGINAL TRADE

LAL gets:

Garnett (MIN) and Hudson (MIN)

MIN gets:

Odom (LAL), Radmonovic (LAL), Claxton (ATL), Wright (ATL) + Draft Pick #3 (ATL), Draft Pick #11 (ATL), and Draft Pick #19 (LAL)

ATL gets:

Bynum (LAL), Cook (LAL) + Draft Pick #7 (MIN) and Draft Picks #40 and #48 (LAL)

=============================

Justifications:

- Where would Bynum to if he were in this draft? Would he have dominated in college like Oden has? Would he have been better (or worse) than the next C that would have been on the board, Hibbert? Establishing where Bynum would fit goes a long way toward establishing what the Hawks get out of this trade. Those questions frame my assumption that Bynum is worthy of something around #5.

- Thus... a #3 and #11 in exchange for a #5 and a #7 seems in the territory of something reasonable, especially in a draft where it's widely thought that players #3 through #12 represent the second level.

- Compensation for Claxton and Wright ends up being Cook and the two LAL 2nd rounders. More about Cook in a moment...

- Analyzing MIN's situation more so than I had previously, they're in a real fix b/c of the long-term contracts McHale has handed out to four guards--so they're loathe to add another long-term (Claxton) w/o giving up one.

- Meanwhile, there isn't one of those contracts that would interest BK in the least... which is why LAL and MIN have to work it out, and is why Radmonovic and Hudson come into the picture. Their salaries and terms are nearly equal, but it allows MIN to swap a backcourt salary for a frontcourt one, and allows LAL to obtain a veteran to play behind Farmar.

- What BK could conceivably do to ease that situation with less heartburn (and, as much as anything in an act of good faith to get the deal done) is to take Brian Cook's contract (3.5 for next two seasons).

- The key for LAL is self-evident... as their payroll situation suggests, they've been targeting this off-season for awhile and have a desire to make a major move.

- The key to the trade for MIN, obviously, is less about any of the four veterans they pick up (Odom, Radmonovic, Claxton, and Wright), and more about picking up the three 1st round draft picks.

- The key for ATL is that they gain a credible young center and a credible young point guard... as said earlier, I'm personally less certain that 19 year old Conley (who has had the benefit of playing with #1 pick Oden) is that credible young PG... I'm inclined, if I'm BK, to take the #7 pick and flip it, conceivably for a later pick (I'm leaning Crittenton) plus a 1st round in 08 (to compensate for what we'll lose to PHX).

We end up with:

--PG--

"PG of the Future" (Conley, Crittenton or someone else), AJohnson, and TLue

--SG--

JJohnson, SStoudamire

--SF--

MWilliams, JChildress

--PF--

JSmith, SWilliams, BCook

--C--

ABynum, ZPachulia, SJones

(Pretty stout. )

• Premium Member

KG,Hudson to Phoenix.

Jefferson, Rights to Atlanta's 2008 pick, & Banks to Atlanta.

Marvin, #3, Theo, Wally to Minny.

Stoudamire, Diaw #24 to Boston.

Rationale

Phoenix gets the best PF in the game. KG, Marion, and Nash should be capable of dominating basketball.

Boston gets Stoudamire, Diawm, and #24. I think Stoudamire is a much better fit with Paul Pierce than Jefferson. Stoudamire gives Boston the chance to run. Diaw would be a big 2.

Minny gets Marvin, Wally and the #3 pick. Theo in this case represents a filler. Having the #3 and #7 pick in this draft, Minny can reload from everything it's lost.

The Hawks get Jefferson. At this point in his career, he's better than Horford and more adaptable than Yi because he's so cheap.

• Premium Member

I'm not sure why anyone would doubt that PHX is serious about not putting Stoudamire on the market before Marion.

Any trade scenario with some pragmatism needs to take that into account.

That's why I've written off the possibility that PHX can be involved, if ATL is involved.

Furthermore, I don't know why anyone would ever take the time to envision a 4-way trade... they are so very rare that it feins common sense to think one up and pose it as a legitimate possibility.

Not intending to put down Diesel... he's always enjoyed just the game of trade-making just for the game of it... but I'm just saying that I took Dolfan's question to implicitly mean, "what's realistic," and suggesting the parameters for that would exclude PHX and 4-way trades.

• Premium Member

Everybody has a price.

When you look at Stoudamire up close, He's coming off a pretty bad knee injury (microfracture treatment is still not 100% guarantee). Plus, he doesn't seem to get along with teammates. He didn't get along with Johnson and now he don't get along with Marion.

If the price is KG, it only makes sense that they trade their Pf for a PF.

I think that's more realistic from Phoenix standpt than anything else.

There are just too many reason to trade Stoudamire first if you're getting back an allstar PF.

• Premium Member

It depends on if it recognizes Diaw's salary.

All the numbers add up to 26 million so it should work... Just for grins, exchange Diaw for Kurt Thomas and Barbosa.. If that works, it just means that the checker hasn't updated the 2007 salaries.

The proposal below is bold and I'm not sure I would do it but it works.

ATLANTA

Outgoing:

Smoove

Chillz

Lue

AJ

Wright

Salim

Incoming:

Amare Stoudemire

Barbosa

2008 #1 back from PHO

PHOENIX

Outgoing:

Amare Stoudemire

Barbosa

Thomas

Piatkowski

2008 #1 via ATL

Incoming:

Garnett

Salim Stoudamire

MINNESOTA

Outgoing:

Garnett

Incoming:

J Smoove

J Chillz

T Lue (ending contract)

Lorenzen Wright (ending contract)

Anthony Johnson (ending contract)

Kurt Thomas (ending contract)

Eric Piatkowski (ending contract)

Why it works for Atlanta:

We get a 24 year-old 1st team All NBA Center/PF to be our franchise player and team him with JJ to form one of the better 1-2 punches in the league. We also get one of the better combo guards in the game. Barbosa is not a true PG but he should be able to play in the backcourt with JJ. A lineup of:

Amare/Zaza

Shelden/Solomon

Marvin

JJ

Barbosa/Claxton

would be a young, well-rounded group that compliments each other very well. We also get out 2008 pick back.

Why it doesn't work for Atlanta:

We give up most of our depth and we give up a potential future star in Smoove (and maybe another future star with the #3 pick).

Why it works for Minnesota:

The get #3, Smoove, Chillz and over $18M in expiring contracts to go along with the #7 pick they already have. They also already have Randy Foye, Ricky Davis and Mark Blount. I can't imagine they will get a much better offer than this for KG.

Why it doesn't work for Minnesota:

They may want to get an established star for KG rather than Smoove, #3, etc.

Why it works for Phoenix:

KG is a HOF player who defends and rebounds better than Amare and they get the #11/Salim to replace what Barbosa gives them. They also dump about Thomas' and Piatkowski' salaries and avoid the luxury tax.

Why it doesn't work for Phoenix:

KG is 7 years older than Amare and Barbosa played a HUGE role in their success.

The proposal above works on Trade Checker:

Successful Scenario

Due to Phoenix and Minnesota being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Phoenix and Minnesota had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Trade ID

Every trade made by fans is allocated a unique Trade ID which you can share with friends and fellow basketball fans to allow them to see your trade scenario. The Trade ID for this scenario is 3991148.