• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Too hung up on measurements

tmac13

I am very pleased with our draft choices and generally pleased with most of our roster at this point. I think many on here are getting way too hung up on players heights or standing reaches along with looking at last seasons stats as opposed the stats from the last couple of months as our young guys started to develope.

I have been as critical as anyone of the Marvin Williams selection over the obvious point guards but the fact is Marvin was an 18 point a night scorer the last 2 months of the season as he got healthy and more assertive..I was also not very pleased with Sheldon until the last couple of months of the season when Woody finally gave into logic and played him at the 5 instead of the 4. Regardless of his height Sheldon is simply more a more comfortable and accomplished player when he mans the center position..I honestly believe Sheldon can be a pretty good center if he gets the opportunity to play.

Josh Smith grew by leaps and bounds after the all-star break last year and is on the verge of stardom if he keeps his head on straight.

Chillz has become a very reliable 6th man and does all the little things well.

All and all the roster is shaping up nicely. We need Speedy to at least get healthy enough to be a reliable backup and we still still have a need for at least 1 true 7ft big guy that can take up space on those nights when we are overmatched inside(which is a rarity especially in the east).

Thoughts?

• Premium Member

I agree about the measurements. Many times, the measurements tell nothing about the story. However, I'm disappointed that we picked the player that we know will not improve much beyond what he is right now...nor will he ever be an allstar.

I'm disappointed that we missed out on allstar potential.

How can we know he'll never be an All Star? Generally, if a player is the consensus 3rd best player in a draft being called one of the deepest ever, they're pegging him as a future All Star. The fact of the matter is we won't really know what we have until we see the product on the court.

• Premium Member

You have to evaluate the player and not the hype. When you evaluate the player you start to see the whole story..

In his final year he only had 2 20+ games and they were against noncompetitive teams. (Go back and look at Boozer, he had 12 20+ games and 2 30+ games on a more stacked team than Florida).

Every big that he faced had a very good day against him. Oden, Morris, Thornton, JWright.... Many of these guys scored their career high against Florida.

He plays the middle of the zone, he's supposed to be so atheletic but his blocks are weak in comparison to other players in similar positions.

He might be a good rebounder.

So we went out and got a guy who the most we can say is that he might be a good rebounder.

Why did we pick him? Please give me some other reason than the hype machine said he was the third best player... Even Jay Bilas.. one of the Pistons of the Hype Machine has already given us an F... Because he knows with the luck we had, it was time to get something different and go for a true offensive sparkplug... and future allstar.