• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

RMR - Monday vs. Dallas

vdunkndunk

Quote:

Thanks. 9 assists for the team the whole game doesn't look too good. Looks like Law was taking it to the hole and drawing plenty of fouls. Nothing wrong with that. He did waht he needed to deliver the win. Tonight, he needed to score and he did it. Last game, he was a good facilitator. Isn't this what we want? Someone who gets the job done? Yes, only sumer league but it has to start somewhere, let's just hope it doesn't finish here.

I didn''t see this game so I don't know if this applies, but it is pretty typical in the summer league games to get really bad stat keeping. Points are even wrong sometimes, and little things like assists and blocked shots are generally never even close to being correct.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...hawks_0717.html

HAWKS 83, MAVERICKS 77

Law, Williams lead Hawks to second win

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/16/07

Salt Lake City — Acie Law IV's reputation as the best clutch player in college basketball last year was no myth.

The Hawks' rookie point guard proved as much here Monday afternoon, leading the Hawks to an 83-77 come-from-behind win over the Dallas Mavericks at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

Law knocked down a huge jumper, fed Shelden Williams on a crucial layup and sank the game-clinching free throws all in the final minute of action to lead the Hawks to their second straight win at Salt Lake Community College.

"Acie was huge out there," Hawks assistant coach Larry Drew said. "He wanted the ball in his hands and he made the right plays down the stretch to get us over the hump. You couldn't have asked him to anything more than what he did."

Law finished with a game-high 24 points, on 6-for-8 shooting from the floor, and added six rebounds and five assists in 29 minutes of action. Williams added 20 points and nine rebounds, his second straight 20-point game, for the Hawks (2-1), who'll take on Chicago Tuesday afternoon.

The Hawks played without rookie forward Al Horford, who sat out the game with a sprained right ankle and could also miss Tuesday's game against the Bulls as a precautionary measure.

I'm getting really excited....so good to see Acie Law come in and live up to his billing in the third RMR game. I know some people are higher on Law than I am, but still...what if he actually comes in and plays well? If he can be a leader running the team and a threat to score, we could really be a playoff team.

Quote:

I'm getting really excited....so good to see Acie Law come in and live up to his billing in the third RMR game. I know some people are higher on Law than I am, but still...what if he actually comes in and plays well? If he can be a leader running the team and a threat to score, we could really be a playoff team.

I'm with you V...I think we finally have a solid team. I'm a bit concerned about our inside defense, but we at least have depth.

Hopefully Acie will start shooting well 2 out of three games instead of 1 out of three.

Quote:

he'll be gone in two years. like him or not he's alot like Este. not enough talent to be on a good team.

I hope that is not true. He's got some Dennis Rodman in him, which is not a bad thing if he learns to use it. Rodman learned to rebound and play D and that's what Solo's ticket might be if he can learn it.

With Al Horford and Shelden Williams down low, I'm not nearly as concerned about our interior defense. The biggest thing that will improve the defense is that Zaza's playing time is going to be cut in half or complete cut out of the picture via trading him.

I think he's more of a 2 guard. the writing is on the wall. Horford goes down and he's got to score. I'm ok with that. Actually he brings something to the table in the respect that he can take the ball into the lane and draw the defense in. that's what the Hawks need.

I want to see him make Josh Smith better though. I want to see him make Joe Johnson better though. the assists are less important to me than the wins.

this situation is volatile. mark the tape.

Quote:

With Al Horford and Shelden Williams down low, I'm not nearly as concerned about our interior defense. The biggest thing that will improve the defense is that Zaza's playing time is going to be cut in half or complete cut out of the picture via trading him.

Let's hope this is true. But this is Coach Woodson we're talking about; he'll play the veterans long before considering the rookies.

Quote:

Good news...Law finished off the second half strong. Apparently this is the best he's looked so far...shots that weren't falling in the first two games are falling for him...he's also being more aggressive and getting some better shots....looks like the best player on the court today. I didn't get the score, though, and I dind't get a report from Saturday.

hmm what do you know

Quote:

I think he's more of a 2 guard. the writing is on the wall. Horford goes down and he's got to score. I'm ok with that. Actually he brings something to the table in the respect that he can take the ball into the lane and draw the defense in. that's what the Hawks need.

I want to see him make Josh Smith better though. I want to see him make Joe Johnson better though. the assists are less important to me than the wins.

this situation is volatile. mark the tape.

Personally, I'll be fine with Law if he's a bit of a scoring PG, as long as he's not a chucker and doesn't shoot 27%. The way I see things, with JJ out there it takes some pressure off of Law to make plays for everyone all the time. As long as he can get the team into the offensive, not turn the ball over too much, and not shoot too much, I'd be ecstatic if he could find a way to score some points.

I really like the ball to be in JJ's hands a lot of the time anyway, so it'd be nice if Law could get the ball up the court, call a play, get the ball to JJ, and then make himself a threat to score. My main concern was actually that Law wouldn't be able to score in the pros like he did in college, and wouldn't be that great a passing guard either. So far he's put up 5 assists in every SL game, and I'd be very happy with 5 assists his rookie season, along with 10-12 ppg.

Quote:

Very good news. This is the kind of game I've been waiting for from Law, the kind of game that will really make me feel better about him during that long wait between the SL and the regular season. Nice to see that his shot started to fall and he still put up some nice assist numbers too. Also, it really sounds like everyone who seems him in person is coming away impressed...so that's encouraging as well. A couple more games like this and I'll be on the Acie bandwagon.

And Shelden with another great game. According to what my friend said, he still played kind of ugly, but it was good ugly...he was playing within himself and just took advantage of his opportunities. I really believe the place Shelden can make a major contribution to the Hawks is as a rebounder, a screener, an intelligent defender, and a take-what-the-defense-gives-you offensive player...hit your open jumpers, grab some offensive rebounds and put backs, get some cuts to the basket, run the floor, make your free throws, etc.

again what do you know? lmao at you... they both are terrible players after the 1st game and now you like them. lol you and busboy are the kings of doing 180's

Quote:

I think he's more of a 2 guard. the writing is on the wall.

Read this:

Quote:

Law knocked down a huge jumper, fed Shelden Williams on a crucial layup and sank the game-clinching free throws all in the final minute of action to lead the Hawks to their second straight win at Salt Lake Community College.

"Acie was huge out there," Hawks assistant coach Larry Drew said. "He wanted the ball in his hands and
he made the right plays down the stretch to get us over the hump.
You couldn't have asked him to anything more than what he did."

I wonder what you know that Larry Drew doesn't. You could make huge money with consulting fees.

Quote:

Quote:

he'll be gone in two years. like him or not he's alot like Este. not enough talent to be on a good team.

I hope that is not true. He's got some Dennis Rodman in him, which is not a bad thing if he learns to use it. Rodman learned to rebound and play D and that's what Solo's ticket might be if he can learn it.

Dude, nobody got Dennis Rodman in them. At least no man does. Rodman was unique.

Quote:

Quote:

Very good news. This is the kind of game I've been waiting for from Law, the kind of game that will really make me feel better about him during that long wait between the SL and the regular season. Nice to see that his shot started to fall and he still put up some nice assist numbers too. Also, it really sounds like everyone who seems him in person is coming away impressed...so that's encouraging as well. A couple more games like this and I'll be on the Acie bandwagon.

And Shelden with another great game. According to what my friend said, he still played kind of ugly, but it was good ugly...he was playing within himself and just took advantage of his opportunities. I really believe the place Shelden can make a major contribution to the Hawks is as a rebounder, a screener, an intelligent defender, and a take-what-the-defense-gives-you offensive player...hit your open jumpers, grab some offensive rebounds and put backs, get some cuts to the basket, run the floor, make your free throws, etc.

again what do you know? lmao at you... they both are terrible players after the 1st game and now you like them. lol you and busboy are the kings of doing 180's

You really don't read very carefully. If you did, you'd notice that I've never said I want either guy to fail...in fact, I've consistently followed each criticism I've made by saying that I hope they prove me wrong.

I've also said that my criticism of those players is more an indictment of our GM than of the players themselves, because they're all high-character guys. It's just that, for the most part, I feel we could have gotten a better value out of almost every pick we've ever made under BK.

I've also said, from the beginning, that I thought Law wasn't the best pick and that I'd feel much better about him if he came out and put up some numbers for once instead of tanking the SL like most of BK's picks. And as you know, the first two games Law shot 27% - not good. But now that he's finally shown he can put up some numbers, I'm feeling a little more optimistic.

Do you have a problem with that?