• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

RMR - Monday vs. Dallas

vdunkndunk

• Premium Member

Why is it that everyone who brings us the scoop on anything Hawks gets dumped on around here? confused.gif Thanks for the info V. It's good to see Law get on track. He was a good scorer in college and a so-so distributor. I see no reason for him to try to change that now. The Hawks could've used another scoring threat last season. I hope he keeps the same playing style he had back in college. He was a great leader for that Texas A&M team.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the main criticisms of Law that really got me scared was that he needs to be the focal point of the offense to score in bunches like he did in college - but he may not be good enough to warrant that kind of green light in the pros.

That does scare me.

But if what we've been hearing is true, it sounds like he's done a good job running the offense and serving as a facilitator. The problem is that he's having a hard time balancing his role as a facilitator with his role as a scorer.

If he can find that balance and get comfortable, I think he has a chance to be a good player. If he can't, he could end up having a very hard time. A lot of pure PG's already understand that balance, whereas I think Law was focused more on scoring in college, so it will be interesting.

• Premium Member

Quote:

One of the main criticisms of Law that really got me scared was that he needs to be the focal point of the offense to score in bunches like he did in college - but he may not be good enough to warrant that kind of green light in the pros.

That does scare me.

But if what we've been hearing is true, it sounds like he's done a good job running the offense and serving as a facilitator. The problem is that he's having a hard time balancing his role as a facilitator with his role as a scorer.

If he can find that balance and get comfortable, I think he has a chance to be a good player. If he can't, he could end up having a very hard time. A lot of pure PG's already understand that balance, whereas I think Law was focused more on scoring in college, so it will be interesting.

Your feet must hurt walking on that fence all of the time! scratchchin.gif

Quote:

Quote:

That does scare me.

If he can find that balance and get comfortable, I think he has a chance to be a good player. If he can't, he could end up having a very hard tim

A lot of pure PG's already understand that balance, whereas I think Law was focused more on scoring in college, so it will be interesting.

Your feet must hurt walking on that fence all of the time! scratchchin.gif

lol!!!! look i dont have a problem with people talking about the summer league, what i do have a problem with is people over reacting and making judgements off summer league with the attitude they know all, and days later do a complete 180.

Vdunkadunk, first of all, thanks for the updates, please keep them coming.

Second of all, don't take the criticism too seriously. I've been poking my head in here for a few minutes every several hours, but haven't been able to stick around for long periods to keep up with the action in real time. As I've caught up and read your posts over the last few days I also noticed what seemed like a nearly bipolar perspective on Law. I was probably reading things out of the context of the time they were written, but I have to admit that I was amazed at how drastically your attitude towards Law changed based on unofficial boxscores, second hand accounts, and recaps over the course of a few glorified pickup games.

Don't take that personal, I'm not attacking you. I'm glad you're coming around on the guy, I just hope you don't formulate too much of an opinion good or bad on any of these guys based on very limited exposure in very loosely played pickup games, and I also hope you realize that to some posters your opinion's been all over the map on this guy in particular.

Quote:

Vdunkadunk, first of all, thanks for the updates, please keep them coming.

Second of all, don't take the criticism too seriously. I've been poking my head in here for a few minutes every several hours, but haven't been able to stick around for long periods to keep up with the action in real time. As I've caught up and read your posts over the last few days I also noticed what seemed like a nearly bipolar perspective on Law. I was probably reading things out of the context of the time they were written, but I have to admit that I was amazed at how drastically your attitude towards Law changed based on unofficial boxscores, second hand accounts, and recaps over the course of a few glorified pickup games.

Don't take that personal, I'm not attacking you. I'm glad you're coming around on the guy, I just hope you don't formulate too much of an opinion good or bad on any of these guys based on very limited exposure in very loosely played pickup games, and I also hope you realize that to some posters your opinion's been all over the map on this guy in particular.

Maybe so. My main thing is this: I wanted Stuckey bad and I didn't want Law at all, to the point where I would rather have skipped out on a PG altogether and taken the BPA instead of Law.

I don't really see where I've waffled on that point, by the way.

But now that Law's a Hawk, I'm just trying to be positive when he does something good. I don't want him to suck, I'm just afraid he will. The first two box scores didn't make me feel any better, and comparing Law to Stuckey made me think "here we go again."

Not only that, but I've also been trying to report what I've heard about Law on the one hand (which is mostly positive) and my own opinion about him (which is mostly negative). My friend has called me a couple of times to try to talk me out of my negative attitude about Law and to explain that he's looked better than his box score, but I personally am still alarmed by 27% shooting no matter how good it looked in person.

Quote:

he'll be gone in two years. like him or not he's alot like Este. not enough talent to be on a good team.

well you have to have SOMEONE at the end of the bench. it might as well be someone with elite NBA athleticism and NBA work ethic. may take some time but will be worth it if he gets it.

Quote:

I know some people are higher on Law than I am, but still...what if he actually comes in and plays well? .

What if he plays well ?

Oh, ye of little faith. If you saw him in college you would know this guy is the real deal, he is the definition of the "it factor." The guy has that killer instint in his eye that only special kind of winnners posses.

Law will be special.

Quote:

Quote:

I know some people are higher on Law than I am, but still...what if he actually comes in and plays well? .

What if he plays well ?

Oh, ye of little faith. If you saw him in college you would know this guy is the real deal, he is the definition of the "it factor." The guy has that killer instint in his eye that only special kind of winnners posses.

Law will be special.

it is pretty obvious who watched Law in college and who didn't. Gsuteke obviously didn't watch Law and vdunk has already admitted he didn't watch him.

I am much more skeptical of Horford than Law.

I saw enough of Acie Law to know he was a score first player in college.

I'm not sure that he's more of a 1 as opposed to a 2.

I'm skeptical of both players in respect to what they'll be asked to do for the Atlanta Hawks when you try to take in the entire picture.

Quote:

look dude your opinion is as good as mine on this subject. in the end they are just opinions.

i think Law is more of a scorer than a distributor. that is a positive and a negative all rolled up into one.

I don't care if my opinion is better or worse than your opinion. I am nobody.

The question is what have you seen of AC Law that makes your opinion superior to Larry Drew's? Larry Drew has coached him. Have you?

has Larry Drew been on the bench for the past year or two while we've all watched the Hawks play "stand around and watch Joe dribble the ball?"

subsequently if you read his statement he said Law took over the game. that is true, he did take over the game much like he did at A&M. what's going to happen when he plays against NBA caliber talent? what's going to happen when Josh Smith and Joe Johnson are on the floor with him?

am I the only one having trouble with the math here?

Quote:

has Larry Drew been on the bench for the past year or two while we've all watched the Hawks play "stand around and watch Joe dribble the ball?"

Lack of talented/quick/strong playmaker that can pass, penetrate, dribble and shoot. Even Kobe and Phil can't overcome deficiency there.

Quote:

subsequently if you read his statement he said Law took over the game. that is true, he did take over the game much like he did at A&M.

Go into details. What did he do in the last minute.

He made a jump shot when defense gave it to him (not a quick 3), set up and assisted Shelden for 2, and then penetrated and drew foul and calmly sank 2 free throws.

Its not like Selim single handedly scoring 3 three pointer to win us the game. Its not Reggie Miller making 7 points in the last 12 seconds. Law tried to do exactly what a superior PG would have done.

Quote:

what's going to happen when he plays against NBA caliber talent?

We don't know that, but that doesn't make him more of a shooting guard than point guard.

Quote:

what's going to happen when Josh Smith and Joe Johnson are on the floor with him?

If he can average 5+ assists with part time basketball players, he should have more assists with studs.

Quote:

I think so.

Quote:

I saw enough of Acie Law to know he was a score first player in college.

Wrong. If you had actually watched him play you would know that the opposit was true. He spent most of the game trying to set other people up. It was at the end of the games that he looked to score.

He scored 18 ppg but over 7 ppg over the last 5 minutes of games. Therefore during the first 29 minutes he played he scored under 11 ppg.

Quote:

correct