• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

ACIE LAW and SHELDEN DOMINATE

NJHAWK

Yeahh boy, BK KNOWS HOW TO DRAFT. Hhahaaa I know its only summer league but I think its safe to say now that Shelden is healthy he will take charge this year. LoOk for plenty of Dale Davis like double doubles. Also if A Law becomes the kinda floor and team leader he was at A & M our boys will be a playoff team for years to come.

Law making adjustments to pro game

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/17/07

Salt Lake City — Acie Law IV didn't need summer league to convince Hawks coach Mike Woodson why he was selected with the 11th overall pick in last month's NBA draft.

He did that last week, on the first day of minicamp, when the rookie point guard immediately assumed a leadership role among other rookies, second-year players and free agents vying for spots on the Hawks' summer league team.

GEORGE FREY/Associated Press

(ENLARGE)

Acie Law IV calls a play at the Rocky Mountain Revue. 'He's done exactly what I'm looking for,' coach Mike Woodson said.

Your Turn

OK you're the coach, who is the Hawk's starting point guard?

Speedy Claxton

Anthony Johnson

Acie Law

Tyronn Lue

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

Horford out with ankle sprain

Law, Williams lead Hawks to second win

Law making adjustments to pro game

More Hawks coverage

Law has only strengthened his position with his effort at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

"He's done exactly what I'm looking for," Woodson said from a couch in the team's hotel lobby Monday before Law and his mates took on Dallas at Salt Lake Community College. "He's orchestrating things out on the floor, and that started a week ago before we even got out here. He knows how to run a team. And that's the highest praise I can give a young point guard."

Woodson said he was not particularly concerned with Law's numbers here — he averaged 8.0 points, 5.0 rebounds and 2.0 turnovers while shooting 6-for-22 from the floor and 0-for-2 from beyond the 3-point line in two games.

He wanted to make sure the Hawks point guard of the future — and that's a designation Law will have to deal with throughout his rookie season — could pick up the offense quickly and be ready to lead.

For his part, Law has already noticed the difference between the college and pro game. He's also well aware of the bull's-eye lottery picks wear in this environment, where hungry free agents know they can make a reputation with a strong performance against a high-profile player.

"The speed is a lot different and the talent ... there's a lot of good players out there," Law said. "But our team is doing a good job, and we're playing pretty well right now. But getting into those two-a-days [at mini-camp], you get the understanding of the experience and what it is exactly that you're about to go through.

"All that hype and anticipation from the draft is over with. It's a grind every day. And you have to put that work in because there's people in these summer leagues, as you can see, that are out for your job."

Law's job for the Hawks this season could vary. After years of struggling with depth at point guard, the Hawks currently have four on the roster — Law and veterans Speedy Claxton, Tyronn Lue and Anthony Johnson.

The competition for the starting spot will be wide open in training camp. That's why Law isn't leaving anything to chance, using every challenge as a chance to get better. His focus has been on mastering the offense and making a smooth transition to the NBA.

"You always have to stay on top of your job," he said. "A lot of players here are trying to get NBA jobs, and they're looking at [both myself and rookie Al Horford] as an opportunity to make a name for themselves. So you can't go out there messing around."

It's that no-nonsense approach that has caught the eye of Hawks assistant coach Larry Drew, the team's point guard tutor and the man running the summer league team.

"Acie's doing a lot of thinking right now, and he's trying to do everything right," Drew said. "And I like his game, I really do like him. He's got that chip on his shoulder when he plays, man ... he doesn't like to come out of the game. He's all about winning, and you can see that."

But can you see him running the team when the games count, when the players he's barking orders at are Joe Johnson, Josh Smith and Marvin Williams?

"There's no doubt in my mind," Drew said. "He's the kind of guy that wants to make it happen at the end of games. That's just who he is. And he's made a couple of mistakes here when he's tried to do a little too much. So the thing he has to realize on this level is that there are going to be opportunities for that.

"But you still want to maintain that point-guard mentality in trying to create for others and trying to do things to help your team win. But he's a kid that listens and wants to get better. And any time you have that combination, with enough of that grimy stuff added on, you don't worry about him. You know he's going to be solid."

By SEKOU SMITH

Published on: 07/16/07

Salt Lake City — Acie Law IV's reputation as the best clutch player in college basketball last year was no myth.

The Hawks' rookie point guard proved as much here Monday afternoon, leading the Hawks to an 83-77 come-from-behind win over the Dallas Mavericks at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

Law knocked down a huge jumper, fed Shelden Williams on a crucial layup and sank the game-clinching free throws all in the final minute of action to lead the Hawks to their second straight win at Salt Lake Community College.

"Acie was huge out there," Hawks assistant coach Larry Drew said. "He wanted the ball in his hands and he made the right plays down the stretch to get us over the hump. You couldn't have asked him to anything more than what he did."

Law finished with a game-high 24 points, on 6-for-8 shooting from the floor, and added six rebounds and five assists in 29 minutes of action. Williams added 20 points and nine rebounds, his second straight 20-point game, for the Hawks (2-1), who'll take on Chicago Tuesday afternoon.

The Hawks played without rookie forward Al Horford, who sat out the game with a sprained right ankle and could also miss the game against the Bulls as a precautionary measure.

• Premium Member

Quote:

By SEKOU SMITH

Published on: 07/16/07

Salt Lake City — Acie Law IV's reputation as the best clutch player in college basketball last year was no myth.

The Hawks' rookie point guard proved as much here Monday afternoon, leading the Hawks to an 83-77 come-from-behind win over the Dallas Mavericks at the Rocky Mountain Revue.

Law knocked down a huge jumper, fed Shelden Williams on a crucial layup and sank the game-clinching free throws all in the final minute of action to lead the Hawks to their second straight win at Salt Lake Community College.

What's your spin on this one Mr. V? uglyhammer.gif

Larry Drew is one of those assistants that has been very patient and paid his dues during his career, and it's time that he gets an opportunity to be a head coach. The funny thing is, Larry Drew really wanted the Hawks head coaching job back in 2000. He felt that it was a golden opportunity for him to get a head coaching gig. I can't remember if he was on Detroit's staff or LA's staff at that time, but he was really pushing for the Hawks job that ultimately went to Lon Kruger.

.....Larry Drew's son is a high school senior point guard out in California. I am bringing this up because there was some speculation that the reason Drew wanted the Sacramento job was so he could see his son play.

Well, Larry Drew Jr. committed to North Carolina on May 23rd. Had Drew taken that job, he'd only have the one year to see his son play. With his son coming to North Carolina, Larry will get more opportunities to see him in college while staying with the Hawks.

Quote:

.....Larry Drew's son is a high school senior point guard out in California. I am bringing this up because there was some speculation that the reason Drew wanted the Sacramento job was so he could see his son play.

Well, Larry Drew Jr. committed to North Carolina on May 23rd. Had Drew taken that job, he'd only have the one year to see his son play. With his son coming to North Carolina, Larry will get more opportunities to see him in college while staying with the Hawks.

What are the chances Woodson and his assistants are signed to new contracts after this season to keep them in Atlanta?

Drew wanted to leave to get some job security with a more stable franchise, to see is son play his senior year of high school was a bonus.

Its a dog eat dog world. BK is cornered and this year could define his career. He doesn't think he can replace Drew's talent with anyone who wants to come to this volatile franchise with no job security. Why should BK risk this year by letting Drew go? This is the reality. The rest is baby talk.

funny to hear that any team with Artest (at this point) is considered a 'more stable franchise' than, well, anyone else.

it's the truth though ~ while I understand and mostly agree with those who say we should cut loose coaches who WANT to be elsewhere, fact of the matter is

- the team needs to win this year (in regards to coaches, GM's, etc.).

- it's late in the year to be finding two new asst coaches

- the new coaches would have to agree to one year deals (as, and I didn't know this but it makes sense, that the asst. coaches' contracts cannot exceed the head coach)...thus

we'd be looking for 'good' asst. coaches who would be willing to work for one year (no longer at this point) for a franchise with ownership issues.

Think about how hard it'd be to get a tentative list together...before you realize how many would laugh in your face or simply say 'no' due to the lack of job security (possibly moving their whole family for a year...).

hard luck life dictates that we had to retain these coaches...