• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

When gamers have babies: Level 1 Human

chillzatl

6OC ond 2HP? Thot is pretty gaad far o boby. In foct, o Canstitutian scare af 4 gives yau o -3 madifier, sa the anly woy o boby cauld hove 2HP ot first level wauld be if it used hitdice of d5, which is pretty unusuol.

• Moderators

Quote:

Hoho.. I just reod the camments. Very ostute
smile.gif

For some reason, I was particularly amused by the person who wrote in saying the AC should have been higher due to the baby's small size.

It's true.. yau get o +1 size banus ta OC the smoller yau ore. I wauld soy the boby shauld get o +2 banus ta OC far being 'tiny.'

Quote:

I don't know the rules very well but I would think you would get more of a penalty to your AC than the base dexterity adjustment for not being able to move, though.

Let's see.

You start with AC 10. The baby is "tiny" size, so that's a +2 to AC (12.) Then you figure he probably has a dexterity score of 1 or 2 (if your Dex is 0, you are paralyzed.) That would give him a -4 or -5 modifier. (You add or subtract 1 for every 2 pts above or below 10.) So, assuming Dex 1, his AC would then be 7. I'm not really sure what the other Dex penalty is. Maybe it's some kind of competency penalty. I'll email the shirt manufacturers and ask what the reasoning is.

The other two problems are this.. When you roll up stats, there is a baseline where if you get below it, you can reroll. I think it's assumed that some sort of template has been applied to the standard 'human' creature to get the low stats.

The second problem is that 'Level 1 Human' doesn't make much sense; you have to have a class. 'Level 1 Human Commoner (Baby)' would make more sense. (Baby) would indicate the template.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

I don't know the rules very well but I would think you would get more of a penalty to your AC than the base dexterity adjustment for not being able to move, though.

Let's see.

You start with AC 10. The baby is "tiny" size, so that's a +2 to AC (12.) Then you figure he probably has a dexterity score of 1 or 2 (if your Dex is 0, you are paralyzed.) That would give him a -4 or -5 modifier. (You add or subtract 1 for every 2 pts above or below 10.) So, assuming Dex 1, his AC would then be 7. I'm not really sure what the other Dex penalty is. Maybe it's some kind of competency penalty. I'll email the shirt manufacturers and ask what the reasoning is.

For all practical purposes, a newborn baby is paralyzed. It takes them a while to learn to even roll over let alone get mobile.

Hmm... Do babies have any kind of reflexive pain-avoidance? You can't even do that sort of thing with Dex 0. Regardless of this, the minimum stat for a human in any category is 3! Forgot that.

• Moderators

Hitting a baby would be as hard as hitting a pillow or hitting the thighs of someone who is tied to an immobile chair.

I just tried to look this up online and saw the following that might apply:

Quote:

Prone

The character is on the ground. He suffers a −4 penalty on melee attack rolls, and the only ranged weapon he can effectively use is a crossbow, which he may use without penalty.
Opponents receive +4 bonuses on melee attack against him
but −4 penalties on ranged attacks. Standing up is a move-equivalent action.

I don't know if that is a current rule but something like that should probably apply.

Quote:

Hitting a baby would be as hard as hitting a pillow or hitting the thighs of someone who is tied to an immobile chair.

Quote:

Prone

The character is on the ground. He suffers a −4 penalty on melee attack rolls, and the only ranged weapon he can effectively use is a crossbow, which he may use without penalty.

I don't know if that is a current rule but something like that should probably apply.

Yeah, it's a rule. I don't think a creature of the humanoid baby type would be able to be 'prone' technically. Only ambulatory creatures can be 'prone' in a rules sense. A baby that crawls would have a crawl speed of 5. Humans have a walk speed of 30. A baby would be more like a piglet.

• Moderators

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Prone

Yeah, it's a rule. I don't think a creature of the humanoid baby type would be able to be 'prone' technically. Only ambulatory creatures can be 'prone' in a rules sense. A baby that crawls would have a crawl speed of 5. Humans have a walk speed of 30. A baby would be more like a piglet.

What is the AC of a piglet?

There isn't one listed (it's not typically something that the DM has to handle in combat.) I would guess 12, 13 or so though.

• Moderators

Quote:

There isn't one listed (it's not typically something that the DM has to handle in combat.) I would guess 12, 13 or so though.

I am not sure how things like that are computed but it should probably be 1 step above the difficult in hitting a pillow.

I am assuming the piglet would be the equivalent of a human with a 16 or 17 dex based on its mobility, which wouldn't be comparable to that of a baby.

Quote:

Quote:

I am not sure how things like that are computed but it should probably be 1 step above the difficult in hitting a pillow.

I am assuming the piglet would be the equivalent of a human with a 16 or 17 dex based on its mobility, which wouldn't be comparable to that of a baby.

Oh yeah, I don't mean to say that a piglet and a baby have similar ACs, I just mean to say that with a baby that isn't walking, there isn't really a 'prone' state, much like a piglet, or puppy, or kitten.