• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Redo- Hawksquawk picks the Starters...

Diesel

I voted to keep the starting line up status quo for the 1st couple of weeks to month of the season. Let them work the butterflies out of their system.

I fully expect both Horford and Law to be starting by October or November. No need in rushing them.

I also want to see Marvin EARN his starting position over Chills.

• Premium Member

You don't trade a veteran big man with an expiring contract. You need the big bodies.

If you trade anyone, it's AJ. He's not the locker room presence that Lue reportedly is, and he'll cut into Law's growth.

Otherwise, it's sounds like we agree on an 9-man rotation of:

Speedy/JJ/Marvin/Smith/Zaza/Childress/Law/Shelden/Horford

I'd trade Lo at trading deadline along with a younger player who can't break into the rotation. Lo's expiring deal will be far moree valauble in early February than in October. Only reason I say dump AJ is because we certainly don;t need 4 PGs and AJ will sit on the bench and eat Moon Pies (like he did in Dallas).

I would bring Al and Acie off the bench for the 1st 2 to 4 weeks of the season. Once they they get the butterflies out of their systems and give us consistent production they EARN their starting positions.

They be dominant in practice but a real game is different animal. Sometimes the butterflies and initial adreline rush can take you out of your game.

I would not have them starting games 1 no matter what.

I didn't know if the 1st game was in October or November. Thanks for clarifing it is Nov 1.

I could have sworn there was a one week window when the big 3 are going on at once (MLB, NFL, & NBA). Guess the NBA starts the week after the World Series.

In the immortal words of Herman Edwards "YOU PLAY TO WIN THE GAME...DUH"!...Man I love that line...

Anyway, if Acie and AL starting gives you the best opportunity to win games then that's what you have to do...

These two guy are probably more ready to contribute then any of the rookies we've had in the last 3 or 4 years(Shelden fits into that mold, shoulder held him back)

By the time training camp concludes and they've had 8 exhibition games under their belts..."SOME" of those jitters will start to fade...there is nothing like the real thing of course so there will be some jitters for a rookie opening night...wether they're starting or coming off the bench...

If two rookies starting gives us the best chance to win games...you HAVE to start them period.

• Moderators

Quote:

Acie, Salim, JJ, Smoove, and Shelden.

We'd be like the Cavs with the three Bombardiers and Larry Nance.

I wouldn't mind seeing that one for a few minutes to see how the offense flowed, assuming it worked well in a game. However, I am not sure that Acie is going to be a big 3pt guy in the NBA given that he didn't shoot very many in college. I also would worry about being way too small defensively at the offguard position.

I do like the idea of seeing both JJ and Salim stretching the floor together a little more this season, though.

• Moderators

Quote:

Uhm...

Acie put up more than 2.4 3 pters a game in his senior year and he hit about 46% from 3

He shot 83 3pt attempts his senior year. That isn't a 3pt bomber or even close to one.

Let's put it this way, JJ Reddick attempted more 3pt shots his junior year (and final year in college) than Law attempted in his 4 years at Texas Tech combined. In Law's most prolific 3pt shooting season, he didn't shoot half as many as JJ did his freshman year.

Law shot the 3rd most 3pt attempts on his own team last season. He was probably not in the top 20 most prolific 3pt shooters in his conference.

I think he will shoot a modest number of 3pters and that this will not be a bad thing because he will exercise good shot selection and stick more to a mid-range game.

Quote:

You don't trade a veteran big man with an expiring contract. You need the big bodies.

If you trade anyone, it's AJ. He's not the locker room presence that Lue reportedly is, and he'll cut into Law's growth.

Otherwise, it's sounds like we agree on an 9-man rotation of:

Speedy/JJ/Marvin/Smith/Zaza/Childress/Law/Shelden/Horford

I expect there to be a 11 man rotation. Solomon and either Lue or Salim will be in the rotation. To close halfs, a Salim or Lue should boost the line-up for expanding leads. A kinda hurry up thing. Solomon should have 5-7 every game because he is near 7 foot and leaps Out of the gym. He has natural shot-blocking instincts. 5-7 minutes will enhance his progression tremendously.

I will be surprised if Woody has a set rotation of more than 10 guys. If we are battling for a playoff spot, I think it will be 9 or even fewer guys. I think the order of minutes played will be as follows:

JJ

Smoove

Chillz

Marvin

Horford

Speedy (if healthy, if not, Law)

Zaza or Shelden (I see a battle for 1st big off the bench)

Law (if Speedy is healthy, if not Lue)

Shelden or Zaza

Lue

Assuming everyone is healthy, I think AJ, Lo, Salim and Solomon will find minutes hard to come by. It won't shock me to see either Zaza or Shelden finding minutes hard to come by later in the season if everyone is healthy.

I think Horford is going to play a lot whether he starts or not for several reasons. 1) He is our most talented big man. 2) He is our most versatile big man. 3) BK won't be able to survive watching Conley start and play big minutes while Horford rides the pine.

I think Law's minutes will likely depend as much on Speedy's health as much as anything because PG is the hardest position to learn. If Speedy is healthy, I think he will play at least 24 mpg at PG whether he starts or not. If Law plays 24 mpg as a rookie, either he exceeds expectations by far or Speedy is hurt again.

I agree on most everything, except Marvin will get more minutes than Chill.

Speedy will start, but Law will get minutes, and will probably finish the games. He might be starting before the end of the season though.

I think JJ-Smith are without question the top 2 minute guys. I think the C position will be a dogfight, but Horf will start before long because he's our best post player by a mile even though he isn't a center. Shelden and Zaza will battle for backup big, and Shelden will win. He's no stud, but he gives at least a decent effort on both sides of the floor and can set screens. Chill gets the backup 2-3 but his minutes might go down a little.

I expect

Speedy/Law

JJ/

Marvin/Chill

Smith

Horford/Shelden/Zaza

as the main lineup. Lue only gets bigger minutes with an injury, and AJ will be there just as a veteran presence and might be traded. Same for Lorenzen. Solomon should get virtually no minutes if we're trying to win, and Zaza's minutes will take a big cut.

I think the only person in danger of losing their job out of training camp will be ZaZa other wise it will be Speedy(too good on defense), JJ(nuff said), Marvin(2nd pick. What?), Smoove(Game changer), ZaZa(all things equal I'd go with experience). Barring injuries I don't expect any rookies to have a chance to start until January.