• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Poll: Who do you want as the Next Owners of the Hawks.

Diesel

Are you talking about the rapper/music producer Jermaine Dupri when you mentioned this SO SO DEf Contingent? I haven't heard anything about that,but then again you stay in Atlanta and I don't.

• Premium Member

I proposed that So So Def and Masta P pool their resources and try to finance the buyout of the Hawks. The Hawks will sell for about 200 million. I THINK these guys who actually produce And own their own labels pull that kind of cash. I realize that Depri is a fan of the Hawks. I don't think they have enough to do it alone, but maybe they can talk some Billionaire into helping with the funding. Then allowing Dupri to be president (like Croche was with the Sixers). I also proposed that at most Home games, their would be a concert of some type (not always Rap) but Something that could help draw the fans dollars. I mean when you're in the business, you know people.

Atlanta has the ability to be a media Giant Like NY if the right people were in charge.

• Admin

background in with them, they would never be allowed to buy the team. It takes more than just money to buy a sports team. If those guys were really serious about it, they'd have to get involved with someone who already has ties to basketball and/or pro sports.

I do think a buyer like that could really help energize the team though. Like you said, promoting small concert events, using games to help promote up and coming artists. The two industries are very closely related and could definitely feed each other to a certain extent.

• Premium Member

Not really.

Bob Johnson just won a bid and got owner approval to start a new franchise. He's no basketball Guru.

I don't even know if the league gets much of a say when it comes down to Ownership. I know Stern sits over the deal, but mainly, it's just an acquisition.

• Admin

They've gotten many offers from people who have plenty of money to buy the team. They seem intent on selling the team to someone who has the abilities to run it correctly. I think that's where the NBA comes into play in the deal. I'm sure Stern has some say-so in it. Though I doubt there's any way he could prevent any particular buyer from purchasing a team if the current owner really wanted to sell it to them.