• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

5 Reasons why the Hawks will make the playoffs.

Diesel

• Premium Member

Click

Quote:

They were the laughing stock of the NBA for years. 13 wins, 26 wins, 30 wins … the Atlanta Hawks haven't finished above .500 in almost 10 seasons. What's so different this year? The Hawks are still young. They are still based around the same core of tweener talent that hasn't tapped its full potential. The team that succumbed to the inexperience of their youth last season got even younger this summer. So why do the Hawks think they can make the playoffs this season?

Suddenly the once-forgettable Hawks are almost perfect in pre-season play and there are five reasons why they'll make it to the post-season.

1. The Return of Joe Johnson

A team can't rely on one player, but some matter more than others. So when Joe Johnson suffered a right calf injury, it wasn't just his season that ended; the Hawks' season did, too. It's a new year and a new chance for Johnson to lead his team. The 26-year old will try to repeat his first All Star performance (25 points, 4.2 rebounds, 4.4 assists) while he helps his teammates improve as well. The Hawks learned they have to play alongside Johnson, not behind him, and the balancing of responsibility will help the team grow.

2. More Experience for Young Talent

The Hawks built their squad around young talent and then stumbled last season as inexperienced players didn't reach their full potential. Part of their struggle was simply getting adjusted to the NBA. This season, Josh Smith, Marvin Williams, Josh Childress, and Salim Stoudamire are past the learning curve. Even sophomore Shelden Williams made major strides this summer and showing up strong in summer league. The Hawks look to use their solid team chemistry, forged by going through the ups and downs together, to get back to the playoffs this year.

3. ROY Candidate Down Low

There was more to this year's draft than just Greg Oden and Kevin Durant. Al Horford emerged as Florida's most valuable asset during last year's NCAA Tournament run and this season he is poised to emerge as the Hawks' hottest young talent. Just five games into training camp, Horford's new teammates are already singing his praises. The third overall pick has plowed through the pre-season averaging a near double-double, including a 22 point, 12 rebound performance against the Charlotte Bobcats last week. If Horford's had this much success after just six games in an NBA uniform, imagine how far he'll have come after 82.

4. Sleeper in the Back Court

Acie Law was a fan favorite at Texas A&M, but will the guard spend his rookie year in the shadow of Mike Conley Jr? So far the answer is no, and that's because Law is more concerned with making his teammates look good than putting himself in the spotlight. Even though Law, 22, is older than returning players Smith and Marvin Williams, he has sought out veteran teammates like Speedy Claxton and Tyronn Lue for backcourt advice. Law's proactive decision to learn from experience will help compensate for his lack thereof and bolster his success in the league. Not to mention he can flat out play.

5. They Think They Can Do It

It doesn't matter what anyone else says … the Hawks are fighting for the playoffs and believe they can make it. Between the rookie additions and the solidified team chemistry, this once non-threatening squad thinks they have a legitimate shot at cracking the revamped Eastern Conference. The Hawks will have to stay healthy and play wise beyond their years in order to compete against contenders like the Detroit Pistons and Boston Celtics, but it was a rookie named Daniel Gibson who pushed the Cavaliers to the NBA Finals. Will it be someone named Horford or Law this year?

If The Hawks come together this season, as well as they did last season a lot of good things can happen. Head coach Mike Woodson has been singing the praises of how his guys have grown together and maybe, just maybe this is the Hawks' year.

Quote:

I see Teabag is back to riding the sack!

Speaking of the sack...

Diesel, and any other posters who have been overwhelmingly underwhelmed with Marvin as an NBA player, what is your personal feeling about how he's played in the preseason?

Obviously it's only the preseason and we're all well aware of the limitations of evaluating players based on these glorified scrimmages, but with several of these meaningless games are in the books, do you have any new insight, critiques, positives, negatives to add to the fray?

Is there at least some sense of hopefulness that he can make a positive contribution this season?

• Premium Member

Pain?

No.. Unfortunately, the preseason games don't mean so much. I have no pain. If Marvin does well in the regular season, and we're winning, there will be nothing but Joy (3 yrs removed joy, but Joy nonetheless).

Quote:

Pain?

No.. Unfortunately, the preseason games don't mean so much. I have no pain. If Marvin does well in the regular season, and we're winning, there will be nothing but Joy (3 yrs removed joy, but Joy nonetheless).

I guess, to make a deep talented team, its good to draft studs who will develop late. That way you end up getting the chance to get top drafts every year until they are ready to explode. Drafting Chillz over Deng, MW over PGs and Shelden over Roy have set us up for Acie and Horford. If we had any of those early 3 picks right, we would have at least 6 more wins and Pacers would have drafted 10th and Suns would have had our pick. All those blunders resulted in Horford and Acie. Amen.

• Premium Member

pishaw.

I would rather be looking at Smoove, Chillz, Joe Johnson, and Chris Paul (or Deron).... with other options.

Somebody else would rather have Smoove, Chillz, JJ, MW, and Roy.

Somebody else would rather have Deng, Maybe Chillz.

It's just the way things are.

Quote:

He even knew just the right amount of protection to allow Indy to put on their pick to make sure we could still land Law. BK is a genius!

If Pacers had a top 15 protection I certainly would blame BK for our Predicament.

In life you set yourself up for every situation, and when bad things happen take the responsibility and when good things happen take the credit. Nobody know the future. You just play the probability. BK won Acie. That's all the true reality.

I must say that I screamed when Chillz was picked over Deng.

I spoke about how I was pleased with Marvins preseason in another thread but I will repeat it since I would repeat it if he wasn't playing well. The best thing Marvin is showing early is aggressiveness and the ability to get to the line. Those are signs he has learned from other NBA veterans on how to get points without just shooting jumpers. In another thread me and you talked about Marvins lack of passion in the NBA compared to UNC. Its good to see he seems to be regaining his confidence and passion on the court.

With Josh Howard out the first game and Smoove having to guard Dirk the Hawks will need Marvin to have a good game against the Mavs on Nov. 2. Brandon Bass(former sec player of the year) is having a great preseason for the Mavs. Also it will be interesting to see who starts in the place of Howard; Jason Terry, Jerry Stackhouse,Eddie Jones or Trenton Hassel?

Quote:

Drafting Chillz over Deng, MW over PGs and Shelden over Roy have set us up for Acie and Horford. If we had any of those early 3 picks right, we would have at least 6 more wins and Pacers would have drafted 10th and Suns would have had our pick. All those blunders resulted in Horford and Acie. Amen.

Very appropriate to put that in the form of a prayer. I think we were finally forgiven for keeping Babs so long.

Zaza and AJ could very well start and play fewer minutes than Horford and Law. I have no problem with that at all.

I also think Chillz will play more minutes than everyone other than JJ and Smoove as he will get time at the 1, 2 and 3.

We are going to need signifcant contributions from our bench as our depth is arguably our biggest strength. I don't think there are many 2nd units better than ours in the NBA no matter who starts.