• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

sushi/japanese in atlanta

drzachary

I have really gone crazy for this place Haru Ichiban up near Gwinnett Place Mall. The omakase (chef's choice) sashimi meals are just out of this world. I believe it's pretty authentic (during my visit tonight, I counted 23 other diners, and we were the only non-Asians (most of whom were speaking Japanese, not exactly the most common Asian minority in Atlanta.))

Anyone been or interested?

I've heard good things about that place. From what I've heard though, best sushi in Atlanta is M.F. Sushi bar in midtown.

But there are still plenty of very good places for sushi around town. Another place is Hashiguchi close to Lenox mall. A small place that is usually packed with Asian people and has a japanese store next to it is Sushi Yoko, which is on Peachtree Industrial/Winters Chapel.

Anyhow, enjoy!

you should go to Japan and wake up early and go to a fish market, they cut fresh sashimi from fresh caught tuna right in front of you!

yes...MF Sushi is the SH!T lol well im kinda biased b/c thats my friend's brother in law's place....whats funny is that they are vietnamese (they also own a vietnamese place in midtown called NAM, check it out for some upscale vietnamese cuisine). Anyways Rusans near Lennox is pretty good. I wanna try Geisha House in Atlantic station, its pretty new and I havent been there yet, but I've heard it was pretty good.

Quote:

I've heard good things about that place. From what I've heard though, best sushi in Atlanta is M.F. Sushi bar in midtown.

But there are still plenty of very good places for sushi around town. Another place is Hashiguchi close to Lenox mall. A small place that is usually packed with Asian people and has a japanese store next to it is Sushi Yoko, which is on Peachtree Industrial/Winters Chapel.

Anyhow, enjoy!

you should go to Japan and wake up early and go to a fish market, they cut fresh sashimi from fresh caught tuna right in front of you!

My quick take:

I've been to MF many times, and the maybe 5% increase in quality over Haru Ichiban is not worth the outrageously jacked up prices. I do love Nam, though. Ru San's is awful, the McDonald's of seafood.

I like Sushi Yoko too, but I have had some nightmarishly bad experiences there with the service. Tomato is the shop next door I think?

• Admin

my favorite place is Umezono off hwy 41 (cobb pkwy) behind Boomers. It's as authentic as they come, has been there for years and actually supplies fish to many other sushi places around town. Cheap beer, cheap sake and good, cheap sushi.

A friend of mine who loves sushi also recommends Tomo, which is also on Cobb pkwy but further south. By his estimate it was 10% better than Ume, but 2x the price.

Haven't been to Umezono in a while! I like that place a lot. I recently found out that it's run by the same guy as Sushi Yoko.

I'll look into Tomo, never been! Thanks.

DJ: You live so close to Buford Highway that if you threw a rock out your window, it would ricochet off at least 12 Vietnamese places.

Quote:

DJ: You live so close to Buford Highway that if you threw a rock out your window, it would ricochet off at least 12 Vietnamese places.

Yeah...but the one I used to go to was recommended to me by a trusted friend. I hate to just go around blindly trying places out on my own if I don't have to.

Oh, we're very different in that regard. I'm all about going to new places and just saying "bring me the special." smile.gif I will pay attention next time I go out for pho (assuming that's the soup you are looking for) and will let you know if it's good! I think I've tried "Pho Hoa" "Pho #1" and "Pho 79" and have found them all of roughly the same quality. One of them doesn't have bubble tea, though.

If you want rice/grilled dishes, try Com, also on Buford Highway. If you want banh mi (vietnamese sandwiches), go to Lee's Bakery. For a cleaner, full-service experience, go to Huong Giang, and for a yuppie/snooty (but amazing) experience, go to the aforementioned Nam. These are all, with the exception of Nam, on Buford Highway. Really, everything you could ever want in life is on Buford Highway. One nice benefit is that many of these places let you bring your own wine/beer and they will pour it for you for no charge (except for the extra tip you leave them if you're not a jerk.)

DJ...If you like the Vietnamese Soups...PHO, try Pho Da Loi, there are 2 locations one in Clayton County, and theres another one in the Gwinett Mall area, Also try What The Pho right down the street from Gwinett Mall

Here is an asian's opinion on sushi restaurants in Atlanta.

Many of them are FAKE/AMERICANIZED. *Cough* *Cough* RUSANS! Rusan, being close to Ga Tech has many Tech students going. If you have never tried Sushi, then i guess its a start. plus, its pretty cheap at Rusans. But if you want the real thing, i suggest you look elsewhere.

For those who want the real deal, I suggest SUSHI MANIA. Its in Brookhaven at the shopping center at Colony and Peachtree Road. I think its a Kroger shopping center? The fish there is very fresh. its the best unknown SUSHI place in atlanta.

Ru San's is good if you want to spend less than $10, or if you want to eat a bunch of fried stuff with mayo sauces. Fish quality is very poor there.

Quote:

I don't eat fish. I like going to the Japanese restaurant with my wife just to see the fire.

LOL how jeuvenile is that?

There's a place I want to visit soon that I'm mostly interested in because they bring sashimi to your table that is still moving! It doesn't get fresher than that.

Quote:

Quote:

I don't eat fish. I like going to the Japanese restaurant with my wife just to see the fire.

There's a place I want to visit soon that I'm mostly interested in because they bring sashimi to your table that is still moving! It doesn't get fresher than that.

you are so funny.

eeeyck.

• Admin

The only reason we ever got to Ru San's is if we have friends with us who are new to sushi. From a price standpoint I don't find Ru San's to be all that cheap. Especially not when I can go across the street to Ume and get a large Kirin, a bottle of sake and 8-10 pieces of fresh nigiri for $20. It's hard to beat that for sushi in Atlanta. If only I could limit myself to one kirin and one sake...

We're actually going this friday and I can't wait... FEEESH

Quote:

Oh, we're very different in that regard. I'm all about going to new places and just saying "bring me the special."
smile.gif
I will pay attention next time I go out for pho (assuming that's the soup you are looking for) and will let you know if it's good! I think I've tried "Pho Hoa" "Pho #1" and "Pho 79" and have found them all of roughly the same quality. One of them doesn't have bubble tea, though.

If you want rice/grilled dishes, try Com, also on Buford Highway. If you want banh mi (vietnamese sandwiches), go to Lee's Bakery. For a cleaner, full-service experience, go to Huong Giang, and for a yuppie/snooty (but amazing) experience, go to the aforementioned Nam. These are all, with the exception of Nam, on Buford Highway. Really, everything you could ever want in life is on Buford Highway. One nice benefit is that many of these places let you bring your own wine/beer and they will pour it for you for no charge (except for the extra tip you leave them if you're not a jerk.)

are you serious? you couldnt pay me to live anywhere off buford highway, that is one of the trashiest spots in town...

Quote:

Quote:

Am I detecting sarcasm here? If not, that's insane.