• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why can't Joe shoot ?

TroyMcClure

I'll tell you why. He's looking and not pressing the action. He's thinking too much. Almost like he's tring too hard to let the other guys play. Then when the shot comes, he's fading on virtually ever time. It's a simple correction, but we aren't going to win too many if Joe has a prolonged slump. He's totally out of rhythm. Plus side is we still won. Has anyone ever seen Joe shoot as badly as he has the last two games? I don't think so. In the Grand Scheme for this team, Joe has to on.

He was shooting 49% from the field until last night. He generally doesn't shoot well on the second game of back to backs but last night was a new low. Every shot seemed to hit the front rim.

He also has a tendency to start games a little cold and warm up as the game goes on. We need him bigtime tomorrow.

Quote:

I'll tell you why. He's looking and not pressing the action. He's thinking too much. Almost like he's tring too hard to let the other guys play. Then when the shot comes, he's fading on virtually ever time. It's a simple correction, but we aren't going to win too many if Joe has a prolonged slump. He's totally out of rhythm. Plus side is we still won. Has anyone ever seen Joe shoot as badly as he has the last two games? I don't think so. In the Grand Scheme for this team, Joe has to on.

Why do you overreact after every little thing.

First no chance in hell we win 40 games.

Now our star player sucks

What's next?

I know Joe is our guy when plays breakdown and we have to go one on one, but to be in the middle of the second quarter, he brings the ball across half court, dribbles 12 times and shoots a fadeway jump shot with 13 seconds on the shot clock, makes little sense to me. Maybe I am off base or missing something, but that should never happen.

Quote:

Quote:

Why do you overreact after every little thing.

First no chance in hell we win 40 games.

Now our star player sucks

What's next?

You need reading comprehension lessons. I have never said Joe sucks. I've probably been a Hawks fan longer than you've been wiping yourself. Don't talk to me about overreacting. I would be as shocked to see us win 40 games as I would be to see Ron Paul get the GOP nomination. Not saying we don't have the talent. If you could read, you would know I have been the primary person saying that the last two years. We have the talent, not the coach. Also, Joe has some work to do. If you don't see that, you're just dreaming.

Quote:

If the other guys start scoring consistently that will take a lot of defensive pressure off JJ.

I am not going to worry about a guy who scored 25 ppg last year shooting 47%.

He's not looking good, ex. Still fading. His defense early last night was terrible, as well. Got beat back door too easy. He's not leading... and I suspect he never will.

Quote:

Quote:

If the other guys start scoring consistently that will take a lot of defensive pressure off JJ.

He's not looking good, ex. Still fading. His defense early last night was terrible, as well. Got beat back door too easy. He's not leading... and I suspect he never will.

Have you bothered to look at what other top players are shooting? ti isn't that unusual to get off to a cold start.

The problem on offense is that Josh Smith takes 16 shots and shoots only 34% while the rest of the team shoots 46.5%. Not to mention Smith makes almost 1/4th of the teams turnovers.

24 hours i thought i would recap the first two games of the season.

11-2 vs Dallas JJ was 12-22 for 28 pts including 6 pts and an assist in the final 2 minutes.

11-4 vs Detroit. JJ was 9-17 for 23 pts. In the first half JJ only scored 6 pts and started the game 1-5.

In the second half he scored 17 including back to back 3s with a minute left to pull the Hawks within 1.

What does Troy have to say about JJ after these games?

*crickets*

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Have you bothered to look at what other top players are shooting? ti isn't that unusual to get off to a cold start.

The problem on offense is that Josh Smith takes 16 shots and shoots only 34% while the rest of the team shoots 46.5%. Not to mention Smith makes almost 1/4th of the teams turnovers.

How someone else is shooting is of no importance to me when the topic is Joe's shooting. I don't care about his relative stature in your mind.

Quote:

That's why I said this:

Quote:

He's not leading... and I suspect he never will.

If Joe was truly a leader of men then Josh would not have been doing this the last two years. It's his team, right?

Quote:

11-2 vs Dallas JJ was 12-22 for 28 pts including 6 pts and an assist in the final 2 minutes.

11-4 vs Detroit. JJ was 9-17 for 23 pts. In the first half JJ only scored 6 pts and started the game 1-5.

In the second half he scored 17 including back to back 3s with a minute left to pull the Hawks within 1.

*crickets*

Quote:

If Joe was truly a leader of men then Josh would not have been doing this the last two years. It's his team, right?

Wrong. First of all JJ isnt the coach.

Secondly Smith wasn't shooting 3s or long jumpers hardly at all this time two years ago. he didn't get the green light to start shooting 3s until after the All-Star break 2 season ago.

Last year we had a lot of injuries and we didn't have many other scoring options besides Smith. marvin had been hurt and was shaky after his return. We didn't have Law and Horford. It made sense for Smith to be taking a lot of shots last season.

It doesn't make sense now.

Quote:

*crickets*

I usually don't say much when a player actually earns his paycheck. The man makes 70 million dollars! His shot has been off for 3 games now. We're only 5 games in. He's fading

He's not producing enough for me as a 70 million dollar player. Some of us actually grew up and live here and expect more as fans. It actually makes me feel bad when they play like crap. Sometimes it seems the Hawks are just a forum for you to talk about per's and crap. I'm trying to honestly talk about the man's game and you selectively take shots. Where is your *crickets* garbage when talking about Joe's lack of defense or his on court leadership? *CRICKETS*, right? The man needs to truly earn his paycheck if we are to overcome Woody. That's what I'm saying. Arguing with you about this is beyond boring.

Where does this insane defense of Joe come from? I know the game and you can't tell me he is as good as he could be. He needs to improve. Can only you say that? Get over yourself. Go ahead and attack like the prick that you are most times. I won't be responding. I've got football to watch and a girlfriend, ex. You've got the entire board to argue with. Go fight with Atlas about stats or something. You can tell me how great Joe's nuts taste some other time.

Quote:

He needs to improve. Can only you say that?

Sure. He scored 25 ppg shooting 47% last season. He should be scoring 35 ppg shooing 55%.

How many 25 ppg scorers last year made less than JJ?

*crickets*

Arenas is shooting 36% so far this year. I guess he isn't earning his check and isn't a leader.

Tmac shot 4-14 and 12-31 in back to back games. He isn't a leader and isn't earning his check.

All top scorers are cold at times. Nobody is hot all the time. You claim that you are a longtime basketball fan so why haven't you figured this out yet?

Quote:

I'm trying to honestly talk about the man's game

Only after a bad game. If jj plays well and the Hawks win you have nothing to say.

Quote:

I usually don't say much when a player actually
earns
his paycheck. The man makes 70 million dollars!

That really is a horrible point. JJ isn't even a top 30 paid player. However, he's DEFINITELY better than the 30th best player in the league. Not only that, JJ is outproducing at least half of the top 30 paid players in the league. In today's NBA, players get overpaid, period. There are probably only about 10 players in the league that deserve a max contract, but the market sets the price and that isn't the case.

Quote:

Where is your *crickets* garbage when talking about
Joe's lack of defense
or his on court leadership? *CRICKETS*, right?

What? Joe easily played above average defense last night. He was stealing the ball left and right (literally taking the ball from people). Save the "Steals don't equal defense" argument, because I saw the game. Sure he got beat a FEW times, who doesn't/didn't??

Quote:

Where does this insane defense of Joe come from? I know the game and you can't tell me he is as good as he could be. He needs to improve.

Exactly, he definitely needs to improve. But I just can't put that much blame on him when the Hawks have ZERO offensive gameplan whatsoever. My expectations decline rapidly if we just give Joe the ball and tell him to score without setting him up at all. It's not easy to continously create your own shot and be efficient, especially given how much defensive attention he receives.

I honestly don't see how our offensive gameplan is this bad. It's literally like they just picked up a ball, and are playing together for the first time on offense. They just stand around the perimeter passing the ball, a cut here and there, and someone trying to post up inside. It almost always ends with someone just launching up a horrible shot.

We seriously STOPPED Boston in the 3rd quarter and couldn't do ANYTHING offensively. It's because we have NO offensive gameplan, at all. It was almost as if I KNEW we weren't going to score, even after we stopped them, I didn't even get excited when we'd rebound a missed shot because I knew we couldn't score the ball. We seriously need SOMEONE to teach us an offensive scheme.

Quote:

You need reading comprehension lessons. I have never said Joe sucks. I've probably been a Hawks fan longer than you've been wiping yourself. Don't talk to me about overreacting. I would be as shocked to see us win 40 games as I would be to see Ron Paul get the GOP nomination. Not saying we don't have the talent. If you could read, you would know I have been the primary person saying that the last two years. We have the talent, not the coach. Also, Joe has some work to do. If you don't see that, you're just dreaming.

I admit that Joe should pass more often. He did in that Phoenix game. I think he had 10 assists

I want to see that from Joe more often.

I think he should feed Acie Law for three because Acie is open a lot of times when teams converge on JJ.