• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

New article on Marvin

jerrywest

http://www.ajc.com/sports/content/sports/h...hawks_1109.html

Sometimes it's the little things that really count.

For Marvin Williams, such a moment came early in Wednesday's win over Phoenix.

POUYA DIANAT/AJC

(ENLARGE)

Hawks forward Marvin Williams is averaging 17.8 points, 6.0 rebounds and 2.3 assists. He's also .605 (26-of-34).

RELATED STORIES

* Williams has emerged as a force for Hawks

* Why Rodman would be WNBA attraction

* Hawks get back up to speed in win

More Hawks coverage

It wasn't one of the 10 shots Williams drained — he missed just five on his way to making a smashing 20-point impression on a Suns team known for making such statements.

And no, it wasn't that freaky hesitation move he made on a wraparound layup that sent the sellout crowd at Philips Arena into a frenzy.

The Marvin Williams moment came on a rebound in the second quarter, when he elevated above the crowd near the basket, snatched the ball out of the air with one hand and came down with it like it was no big deal.

He wheeled around to survey the floor, clutching the ball Dr. J style and then flipped a bullet pass to Acie Law IV.

"That was sick," Hawks guard Josh Childress said. "You see him do that and realize that this dude is feeling it now, he knows what he's working with. He's playing with some real swagger now. It's nice to see that."

(cont.) ...

Marvin does seem to making more of an effort on the boards but it hasn't shown up in his numbers because Horford and Smith are getting so many.

I think as the season progresses Marvin will get more shot attempts. Right now he seems to be a bit of an afterthought on offense at times.

Smith and Marvin are both averaging 17.8 ppg but smith is taking 16.5 shots per game while Marvin is taking 10.75 shots per game.

Quote:

Marvin does seem to making more of an effort on the boards but it hasn't shown up in his numbers because Horford and Smith are getting so many.

I think as the season progresses Marvin will get more shot attempts. Right now he seems to be a bit of an afterthought on offense at times.

Smith and Marvin are both averaging 17.8 ppg but smith is taking 16.5 shots per game while Marvin is taking 10.75 shots per game.

Smith also leads the league in Blocks and 2nd in Steals.

Quote:

Smith also leads the league in Blocks and 2nd in Steals.

Being a great defender earns you the right to throw up 5 or 6 more bricks. I'm surprised that the Pistons never asked Ben Wallace to throw up a couple threes a game in his prime. I mean, he was the defensive player of the year 4 out of 5 years for a stretch there. He should have been the focal point on offense too if he's that good on defense.

Back to reality... yes, Smoove is a great defender, but that shouldn't be an excuse for blind homers to dismiss his poor offense to this point.

Quote:

Quote:

OMG check this out. Smiths EFG on jumper is .63%

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL8A.HTM

while Marvins is 60.7%

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL7A.HTM

Actually Josh's efg on jumber is 6.3% which means Marvin's efg is about 10 times better.

Yeah i noticed that after i reread it.

Smith was actually taking it to the basket last game when posting up instead of settling for jump hooks from 10 feet. hopefully we will se more of that.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

OMG check this out. Smiths EFG on jumper is .63%

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL8A.HTM

while Marvins is 60.7%

http://www.82games.com/0708/07ATL7A.HTM

Actually Josh's efg on jumber is 6.3% which means Marvin's efg is about 10 times better.

Yeah i noticed that after i reread it.

Smith was actually taking it to the basket last game when posting up instead of settling for jump hooks from 10 feet. hopefully we will se more of that.

Yes, very quickly Smoove has changed a lot of his habits since the first 2.5 games. I hope he can keep doing what he has been doing in the last 1.5 games. I am impressed with his quick adjustments.

Quote:

Quote:

The scary thing is that he is shooting jumpers most of the time. IF he was a post player it wouldn't be as impressive.

I believe Marvin has an inside game but I think we need his perimeter game more right now.

He had open jumpers so he took them. Not much point for him to drive if he is open.

If he becomes more of a focal point in the offense i think he will show a lot more of his skills. he has the best jump hook on the team.

with doing the wrong thing fundamentally on many occasons. On more than one occasion this season, I have seen him let his man get by him on drives to the basket only for him to recover and EASILY block the shot. If he ever dedicates himself to playing solid fundamental defense, he will be first team All NBA on D.

Quote:

On more than one occasion this season, I have seen him let his man get by him on drives to the basket

Even the best defenders get beat off the dribble on occasion. Duncan, KG, Marion, Bowen, Artest all get beat off the dribble occasionally, it's going to happen. Regardless, Smith has played great man D (so far) this season.

Quote:

Quote:

On more than one occasion this season, I have seen him let his man get by him on drives to the basket

Even the best defenders get beat off the dribble on occasion. Duncan, KG, Marion, Bowen, Artest all get beat off the dribble occasionally, it's going to happen. Regardless, Smith has played great man D (so far) this season.

he definitely did a number on Sheed. I think Sheed finished 2-9 against us. He just lit up the Bulls for 36.

Smith did a good job of denying Sheed position in the post.

as good as any guy on your list (and Marion does not belong on that list in my opinion).

I'm not saying that Smoove has played poor man D - it has actually been good. But, it would be a LOT better if he would focus on staying in the right position rather than just depending on his athleticism to make up for mistakes that other players couldn't recover from.

I agree completely. If Smoove was more disiplined he would be hands down the best defensive player in the NBA. He is the only player I have ever watched that has the god-given ability to guard all 5 positions on the court at any given time.His combination of size, quickness, hops, and natural shot blocking ability is unmatched in the league.