• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Phoenix Wins the JJ Trade

Hawkzzz21

I rarely post on here. As a matter of fact this may only be my second post. But I do agree with the original poster on some points. JJ dribbles the ball entirely too much. Him and Lue bring the game to a grinding halt. I don't know if it's the offense Woody has installed but with all the athletes the Hawks have they should be moving the ball much better. The original poster was right when he said J. Smith puts up shots because he probably thinks he won't get it back. That's what's so frustrating about this team. It seems like guys are selfish. Everyone has an overinflated view of how good they are. Everyone can't be Kobe Bryant. Instead of playing team ball the Hawks like to show off their individual skills. To me it seems like JJ came here because he wanted to be THE MAN. If it was entirely about winning he would have opted to stay in Phoenix. He wants to be a leader, but I don't think he has leadership qualities. He sulks to much on the court. He doesn't instill confidence in his teammates. And he and Lue dominate the ball way to much. I think the trade was a good one for the Hawks but the problem is they didn't do enough. Another veteran star is what they need. JJ as a go to guy will never get the Hawks a title.

Quote:

I rarely post on here. As a matter of fact this may only be my second post. But I do agree with the original poster on some points. JJ dribbles the ball entirely too much. Him and Lue bring the game to a grinding halt. I don't know if it's the offense Woody has installed but with all the athletes the Hawks have they should be moving the ball much better. The original poster was right when he said J. Smith puts up shots because he probably thinks he won't get it back. That's what's so frustrating about this team. It seems like guys are selfish. Everyone has an overinflated view of how good they are. Everyone can't be Kobe Bryant. Instead of playing team ball the Hawks like to show off their individual skills. To me it seems like JJ came here because he wanted to be THE MAN. If it was entirely about winning he would have opted to stay in Phoenix. He wants to be a leader, but I don't think he has leadership qualities. He sulks to much on the court. He doesn't instill confidence in his teammates. And he and Lue dominate the ball way to much. I think the trade was a good one for the Hawks but the problem is they didn't do enough. Another veteran star is what they need. JJ as a go to guy will never get the Hawks a title.

WHere the fu** do you trolls come from???

My goodness freaking gracious how the hell can you lash out at Joe Johnson when Tyron Lue and Mike Woodson are 95% of what is wrong with this team right now?????

Joe Johnson is clearly our star player. To say he can't lead us to a title is asanine. We are the fourth youngest team in the F'n league.

We had the most difficult first 5 games in the NBA by a large margin.

What the fu** did you expect????

The old Hawks would have been 0-5 in that stretch getting their behinds handed to them in every game.

This Hawks bunch could get back to .500 tomorrow.

My goodness you people come out of the woodworks don't you?

Well I'm looking forward to sending you back when we win at least 3 out of our next 4 games.

Quote:

Yeah, I'd rather have Boris Diaw??? PHX hasn't even cashed in on one of our picks yet. So, they havent exactly made out like bandits.

They got their ass kicked in the trade...

Here's my take. JJ is a very good player who is going through a rough time. I'm still a fan of his and he had nothing to do with what BK gave up for him. But, the quality of the trade isn't us versus PHX. Here's an analogy:

Let's say your neighbor has a TV which is worth $500. You really like it and want to buy it. Your neighbor says he will sell it to you for $1000. You agree and pay the $1000. Now your neighbor takes that $1000 and blows it on drugs. When it's all said and done you have the TV and your neighbor has nothing - so you made out in the deal right? NO...no matter what happened to the $1000 - you still paid twice the amount that the TV was worth.

Meaning...it doesn't matter if PHX sells all the picks for bags of donuts...we still overpaid. detective.gif

JJ is the most unappreciated player I have ever seen. This guy damn near does it all for this team, and a good percentage of the fan base still isn't happy.

Who usually guards the other team's best perimeter scorer? JJ

Who's the only guy on this team that can create a good enough shot to make it at least 45% of the time? JJ

Who's the best passer on the team? JJ

And let me address that for a minute, because I've seen quite a few posts in the last few months talking about how JJ holds the ball too long and doesn't pass. LOL . . what games are you people watching, and WTF do you want the guy to do?

Pass the ball to Smoove everytime we set up in the halfcourt offense?

Give it to Marvin with 15 seconds on the shot clock, so that HE can create?

Please.

I fault JJ for not taking MORE shots and not forcing the issue even MORE. It's a known FACT that when JJ usually goes for a big game, the Hawks usually win. When he doesn't, we lose. Simple as that.

Among shooting guards in this league this year, only Jamal Crawford ( 6.5 a game ), T-Mac ( 6 a game ), and Brandon Roy ( 5.8 a game ) dish out more assists right now than JJ ( 5.4 a game ) But JJ doesn't pass? LOL @ that ish.

He either needs to go for a lot of points, or be savvy enough with his game to dish out a lot of assists. In the two games we won this year, that's exactly what happened.

Dallas game - he goes for 28 points and dishes out 4 assists. His 4 assists accounted for 9 Hawk points . . which means he accounted for 37 of the Hawks 101 points that game.

Jersey game - even though he shot terrible, he scores 15 points and dishes out 10 assists. His 10 assists accounted for 23 Hawk points . . which means that he accounted for 38 of the Hawks 106 points that game.

Detroit game . . he accounts for 31 points

Jersey game . . he accounts for 25 points

Boston game . . he accounts for 24 points

And take note. If he gets even close to 35 total points accounted for in those 3 losses, we win both the Jersey and the Detroit game, but still lose in Boston.

This team is friggin dead in the water without JJ. All of you Josh Smith fanatics talk about him being a future all-star? Not if he doesn't change his approach to the game. JJ should NEVER defer to him. EVER ! And he damn sure shouldn't defer to Lue.

But he WILL defer to Lue, which is a HUGE mistake on his part. He'll let Lue dictate the half court offense, instead of doing it himself. I guess because Lue is the "veteran leader" on the team, that JJ and others feel the need to defer to him. And Marvin? Watch Marvin when he plays with Lue. Even if he touches the ball, he'll almost always get it right back to Lue, like Lue is Iverson or somebody. But that's something that Woody really needs to nip in the bud. If he doesn't, he's going to cost us some games against teams we should beat.

Most superstar players are selfish players to a certain extent. They trust their own ability, before they trust anybody else's ability.

So if you want to fault JJ for anything, fault him for not being MORE SELFISH of a ballplayer, to help the Hawks win. When he starts to defer to the likes of Lue and Smoove, is usually when the offense completely stagnates and goes brain-dead.

I trust the rock in his hands more than any other player on this team . . BY FAR.

LOL @ Phoenix got the best of the JJ trade. If they could trade Diaw for a box of skittles right now, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

I agree with both of your last posts. JJ has been great in the past and this season is the future. Let's do simple logic.

Marvin Williams I have seen improvement in this year.

Josh Smith I have seen improvement in this year.

Josh Childress I have seen improvement in this year.

Joe Johnson I haven't seen improvement in this year and would even go as far to say after game 5 he has digressed.

He might score 30 points in the next 5 games and be our MVP. Do we really expect him to get these points on dunks, drives, lay ups, and getting out on the front end of the break? I think he's a glorified jump shooter and since the ball comes to a halt when it gets in his hands on offense, it's actually hurting our development right now.

Some have stated they want to see Acie get more aggressive on the offensive end. I would like that too, to see what the boy's got, but I know in the big picture of things, it's not what we need right now. Acie does need to keep passing the ball, so we have at least one guy out there, that the ball is flowing through and not just to.

I like JJ. Super nice guy. Great professional. I see sulking in my eyes and it appears it's effecting his play on the court.

Now the 3 guys I mentioned above that have improved, I realize they had more to improve on and are not as skilled as JJ is right now. I just think these are the early signs of an NBA player peaking and his peak isn't gonna win us championships.

I wish we could talk about his improvements or something that he has added to his game. Instead we are all saying he will get out of this funk and I agree he will. On the offensive numbers, but not on the team play and other things I have been focused on. I have my doubts he's gonna let anyone on our current team, be considered a better player than him. That's great if it makes him play harder, but it's not if its going to make him sulk on the court.

Does anyone think he will be an All Star this year?

Based on the comments on this board and hearing all the awful things about Shelden in the preseason, I would even say he's an improvement from the preseason. I didn't see him play, but I really expected the worse out of him and he's been descent.