In 2 weeks....

Diesel

• Premium Member

Jeff Van Gundy has turned down the:

Raptors Job

Hornets Job

Cavs Job.

Just a side note, 2 of these teams has a strong possibility to get James?

Some Sources say that Van Gundy is holding out waiting on a deal (which is probably why teams keep asking him). Van Gundy says he likes his TV job. My guess is that he is looking for the right job. However, that Job may be with the Pacers. IF you look at them, they have good defensive pieces and good enough PGs. Could the deal be in Atlanta? I don't know. We do have good pieces, but when I listened to JVG talk after having lunch with Kasten, he talked about alot of our flaws..... with little Hope... While Fratello talked about the Hope we have?

The other thing is what does the Hornets asking JVG mean for Fratello?? You think he'd come to Atlanta as his first choice?

This sounds odd, and I hate it in a way, but I think Portland may blow everything up, including firing Cheeks, to bring in Van Gundy. The team has tons of talent at every position and, more imporantly, is at a cross roads with Sheed, the pgs, etc.

I think they'll bring in JVG, say, who do you want to keep, and go from there...

Cheeks doesn't deserve to be fired, but the situation may warrant it, and JVG would bring instant credibility and respect to the team...something they have now, but struggle with retaining at all times...

• Premium Member

Well, I would have thought the hornets Job would have interested JVG considering that they don't have a GM and that they have some very good players and defensive pieces. However, maybe not. As far as PTL, I had heard that Cheeks might be on his way out. I like Cheeks. He's fiery. Plus, it was the sweetest thing I've ever seen...him helping the young girl with the National Anthem.

However, if we brought in Cheeks, I would want him to be part of a Power play. Meaning that we brought in Cheeks and a strong GM. I would take a Combo of Cheeks/Isiah any day. I would also take Cheeks/Dunleavy (how bout that Blazer Fans.)>

Silas and Cheeks would be on my short short list of coaches. JVG and NO...well, I have a feeling that some of it had to do with the way they handled Silas and the general sort of poeple that Woolridge and Shinn are...

JVG feels that he's proved his worth and has earned respect. Besides the fac that he wouldnt' get paid properly (not exuberantly, but properly) in NO (see what they told Silas), I don't htink he believes that he'd be respected or appreciated there.

Of course, this is my thinking what he's thinking about NO and thier offers...and I know nothing that's not in the press.

Reading between the lines it seems VanGundy could like the Hawks as a coaching option. In the ESPN article on McDavid it states that the sale will take until the end of June to complete.

Coincidently, VanGundy's current contract runs out in July. Therefore if VanGundy is hired before July the Knicks will be owed some compensation. Once July comes around the contract expires, this will also be the month McDavid begins his ownership and if he wants to start a ripple to get some positive press for a change, this would be the time to do it.

Kasten is as good as gone, no man should have the responsibility of over seeing 3 proffessional teams.

I believe that JVG's contract expires at midnight on July 31st, not June 30th. The question arises on whether August would be too late to hire a coach ~ summer League's would be over and the time to make trades would be on the wane.

If the new coach desires any personnell moves or acquisitions, waiting until August is getting late in teh game...

I assume that the possibility remains that New York would be decent about it and not request any compensation...and I don't know how the tampering rules work in this situation. Could a team hire him in name, make the moves he wants, etc. prior to his officially being on the payrole?