• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

no talk of the bonds indictment?

chillzatl

• Moderators

Here was my indirect discussion of it on a thread about Steven A. Smith:

Quote:

http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/...egoryId=2521705

Here is Steven A. and his colleague discussing the 'race' angle in light of the Bonds indictment. He makes some good points about Bonds being investigated while McGwire wasn't during their home run chases. He does ignore the fact that Sammy Sosa was an equally large celebrity who just came up slightly short in the HR total. He also ignores the fact that media coverage of the steroids issue had already started in earnest and MLB was under public pressure to the point that it implemented minor league testing before Bonds was a contender for the season or career HR records (Bonds got the season record in the fall of 2001 and the testing was implemented in April 2001).

The most interesting part of this is that both commentators seems to think that Bonds is being charged for using steroids. They make comments about rounding up everyone else who used steroids and charging them, etc.

Ummm....you guys realize he isn't being indicted for using steroids, right? He is being indicted for lying to a grand jury. He is in the exact same position as Jason Giambi. Both were asked under oath about use of steroids. The only difference is that Giambi fell on the sword and admitted what he did. Bonds denied any knowledge about steroids and denied any use of steroids (other than the 'flaxseed oil' that his trainer supposedly rubbed into his arm without Bonds' knowledge).

If you want comparables to show that people are being treated differently based on race, look at who was called to testify before the grand jury, what they said and whether they are being indicted for perjury.

I also saw a clip of Barkley protesting the indictment. Amazingly, he complained that McGwire and Giambi weren't being charged.

Barkley - the crime here is perjury, not illicit steroid use. Giambi admitted it under oath when asked! If he denied it, he would have been in the same box as Bonds. If Bonds admitted it, he would not be charged - just like Giambi.

Giambi is the perfect comparable here.

by a long shot. I don't remember Sheffield going before the Grand Jury but if he did I hope they indict him. His whole diatribe about steroids only being something you shoot in your butt made him look like either a total moron or a total liar. He knew what the hell he was doing when he used Bonds' products and I find it odd that Sheffield would have moved in with Bonds if he wasn't planning on getting on Bonds routine fully.

I am thrilled that Bonds has been indicted. I hate how people have gone to prison over this whole thing because of not giving up sources and what not, how his trainer has been in prison and the whole time Bonds continues to collect records, dollars, and enjoys the life of a free man.

As for guys who I know testified under oath, both Palmeiro and McGwire should be indicted since it's obvious they both were major users who lied under oath.

I also think that Giambi should be punished somehow, not by prison time, but he should be kicked out of baseball for a year, maybe for good. I know he made a mistake and finally came clean about it, but he deserves some type of punishment for what he did.

Finally, Jose Canseco is a guy that needs to be punished in a big way. His whole "tell all" attitude to sell books has completely tarnished anything good he did in his career. Had he been an honest player that played the game the right way without using steroids and then told all in his book after his career was over I could understand that to a degree, although I still think if you don't have a problem with it when other guys are doing it because your team is winning I definitely don't think you should take a stand against it years later.