Sothron

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote:

Good post Northcyde.

And coach, that doesn't mean that I'm pro-Woodson. I just don't place all of the blame on him. I'm definitely for firing him if this team continues to struggle this month.

But I think the fans are a little to obsessed with this whole "let's run" philosophy. If we don't execute when we do run, why run in the first place?

To me, it's all about players being in attack mode. We saw what Josh Smith is like, when he attacks, instead of settles. The same goes for Marvin and JJ.

Tonight, if we're not in attack mode, we're going to lose.

Keep your eye on Smoove tonight. Because of the great game he had up in Milwaukee, he'll probably come out in attack mode again. If he's successful, that's a good thing. But if he struggles, like he usually does against the Spurs, see if he also stays in attack mode on the defensive end.

If he starts out 1 - 5 . . 2 - 8, see if he still stays active on the boards and with the block shots. Normally against the Spurs, he kind of wilts. So keep an eye on him.

I agree with your posts northcyde. The really good teams in this league attack, like you are talking about. Detroit and the Spurs do it. They aren't the longest most athletic teams in the league, but they attack and take the fast breaks when they can get them. They also play good defense and know how to hold onto the ball. They don't stand around on offense or defense, just like you say they are attacking.

Quote:

I got this one question about him.

How good is he when he doesn't have recruiting?

My only knowledge about Harrick's rercruiting was when he was at Georgia. Recruiting wasn't his strong suit. He did come up with some good players (Jarvis, Damien Wilkins) but they were by transfer from other schools.

He can school players - has made some fine NBA players - those two plus Lamar Odom and others, and has a National Championship to his credit.

Quote:

Having him for anything would be distasteful to me but you are talking about bringing him in as an assistant, right? Not a head coach?

He sure can teach a well-oiled offense, that is for sure.

No, man, I'm thinking of giving the team to him as the head man. Only as an interim coach, if we give up on Woody in the next few weeks.

I can't see much difference in this team if we replace Woody with someone on the staff. Yet, given the legal snafu, no one is going to spend money on a new coach, and no real coach, including probably most of the ones mentioned in this thread, is going to come here given the current situation, especially to work for peanuts.

Harrick is contoversial as the dickens. He cut corners. He lied. He won't be coaching in college again - he can't abide by the strict NCAA rules. But the NBA is an entirely different animal, and he wouldn't have those same pressures of dealing with poverty-stricken kids as the stock in trade.

Given the circumstances, all of the circumstances, I might clean house entirely and offer him the chance as HC on an INTERIM basis. I think he would jump on it. I've seen what he can do on the court, it's amazing. My hunch is he could deal with Stern a heck of a lot better than he could deal with Miles Brand.

Not saying I would do it, but I might.

Might lead to a brief rerun of the final exam jokes, but when you look at such PR events as the Isaiah Thomas escapades, wouldn't be in the same league as that.

I don't know really what the general public thinks, but the diehard UGa roundball fans (which number 27 at last count) maybe are by head count more skeptical of Dennis Felton than Jim Harrick, though it's true there are some that hate JH's guts. JH Jr. has no fans, but JH himself still commands considerable respect. At the last Tipoff club banquet, after he had "resigned," JH got a standing ovation from a very large crowd.

• Moderators

After his shameful resignation and the ridicule UGA got put through as a result of Harrick AND THEN his litigation against the school, I can't imagine he has any real support among people in Georgia. He hasn't coached in years and would be making his first real appearance in the NBA. Given the failure rate of college coaches, this one could wind up in Isiah Thomas territory pretty quickly, IMO.

I think he is much more likely to get a shot as an NBA assistant coach. Frankly, I am a little surprised he already isn't on someone's staff if he is interested in having a career.

With all the baggage Harrick caries, you can't hitch your wagon to him as a head coach under any circumstances, IMO.

• Moderators

I definitely understand the frustration - especially watching our offense where guys seem clueless and the whole thing is ugly (and has been for years) and contrasting it against a well-organized, structured attack like Harrick coaches.

Heck, the WNBA is not even men's ncaa college basketball.

In addition, Woody is a lot of things but I don't think the players consider him to be a "nice guy."

I just think bringing in a KNOWN A-hole for a coach is a risky proposition when it comes to dealing with FAs - both restricted and unrestricted.