insider report very interesting

codyatl

Rumors: Is Denver Melo on Anthony?

By Chad Ford

NBA Insider

Send an Email to Chad Ford Tuesday, May 27

Updated: May 27

9:44 AM ET

By now we know the Cavs will select LeBron James with the first pick in the NBA Draft and the Pistons will select Darko Milicic at No. 2. That means the Nuggets will select Carmelo Anthony with the third pick, right?

Umm ... let's not get ahead of ourselves. James is a godsend to Cleveland in every way imaginable. Darko eventually will give the Pistons the low-post scorer they've coveted for years. Both players are obvious fits, and both teams have been high on them for months. In other words, don't expect the Cavs or Pistons to trade these guys away, unless names like Kevin Garnett or Kobe Bryant are thrown around.

The Nuggets, on the other hand, have a mini-dilemma at No. 3. They like Carmelo. They think he's definitely the best player left on the board. It's just that he isn't James or Milicic (both are rated much higher on the draft board), and he's not an ideal fit in their system. The Nuggets already have two young small forwards for whom they have high hopes, Nikoloz Tskitishvili and Rodney White. Although Carmelo may have more upside, and certainly more star power, with so many other holes on the Nuggets, it isn't a slam dunk he'll land in Denver.

That poses an interesting dilemma for Kiki Vandeweghe & Co. Do they take Carmelo, like everyone expects, or do they listen to trade offers for him? Several teams later in the lottery are much higher on Carmelo and might be willing to offer a lottery pick and a young star in return.

Who's interested? Try just about everyone who missed out on one of the top three spots of the lottery. The Raptors, Heat, Bulls, Wizards, Grizzlies and the T-Wolves appear to be the most eager players if a Carmelo sweepstakes develops.

Could the Nuggets actually make out better by trading away the chance to land Anthony?

In most circumstances, the answer is no. The Raptors have little to offer, unless they're ready to dump Vince Carter (they aren't). The Heat are in the same position, unless they're willing to jettison Caron Butler (they aren't, either). And the T-Wolves probably would love to find a way to swap Wally Szczerbiak for Anthony, but with Szczerbiak's new extension kicking in this year, forget about it.

The Bulls, Wizards and Grizzlies, on the other hand, have some interesting assets to offer.

We start with the Bulls because frankly, they have the most ammunition. Would an offer of Jay Williams or Jamal Crawford and the No. 7 pick pique the Nuggets' interest? Denver is very high on French two guard Mickael Pietrus. In one swoop, the Nuggets could give their backcourt a major, major upgrade. If you're the Bulls, the trade makes a lot of sense. They need to thin out their backcourt, and they really need a versatile small forward.

Losing Williams or Crawford (sources say new GM John Paxson is higher on Crawford) won't be the end of the world, and there isn't another small forward available at No. 7 with nearly the upside of Carmelo. They've been drafting in the lottery for the past five years, but they've never been able to land an elite talent like Carmelo ... until now?

The Wizards don't have as much ammunition, but they do have a former No. 1 pick and the No. 10 pick in this year's lottery. If the team continues to clear house post-MJ, expect it to at least entertain the idea of trading Kwame Brown. If Brown is really as good as some people in the league think, it could be hard for Kiki to pass up the chance to grab another 7-footer and a lottery pick. Pietrus could still be on the board (though the Bulls are high on him) at No. 10. Add Gilbert Arenas to the mix, and the Nuggets are rolling again.

Jerry West has been very vocal about his feeling that Anthony, not Darko, should be the No. 2 pick. Is he willing to put his roster where his mouth is? Kiki wouldn't pass on the chance to swap the No. 3 pick for Pau Gasol. Just exactly how much does Mr. West actually like Anthony? It's food for thought.

More trade talk

The Nuggets aren't the only ones willing to trade out for the right price.

Heat president Pat Riley already has begun working up scenarios to trade the Heat's No. 5 draft pick, according to one NBA source. Now that he knows he can't nab one of the top three players, he's willing to ship out No. 5 in return for a veteran who can help his team win now. The rumors he wants Hawks forward Shareef Abdur-Rahim have been floating around for weeks. However, the Hawks actually would have to take Eddie Jones or Brian Grant off the Heat's hands to do that deal. I'm not sure how that makes either team that much better.

The Bulls aren't happy at No. 7. If they can't move up and land Anthony, they'd be willing to move out, if they could land a veteran small forward in return. Given the amount of talent the Bulls can deal, our guess is someone will work with them. Shane Battier isn't a veteran, but the Bulls were interested in him this summer. Is he, along with the Grizzlies' No. 27 pick, worth the Bulls' No. 7 pick? If the Bulls want to win now, the answer might be yes.

If Texas point guard T. J. Ford isn't going to fall to No. 8 (it looks like Toronto likes him at No. 4 and the Clippers would snatch him up at No. 6) don't be shocked if the Bucks try to trade that pick (obtained from Atlanta in the Glenn Robinson trade). They aren't nearly as high on the other top point guards in the draft and want to shore up that position early in case Gary Payton decides to bolt.

If Knicks GM Scott Layden is confident Chris Kaman won't be on the board at No. 9, he, too, will try to trade out of this year's draft. There isn't anyone else out there who can really help the Knicks. Reports they're high on Mike Sweetney or Sofaklis Schortsanitis are a bit silly. Given the abundance of power forwards (many of them undersized) already on their roster (Antonio McDyess, Kurt Thomas, Clarence Weatherspoon and Othella Harrington to name four), exactly how is Sweetney or the 17-year-old Schortsanitis supposed to help Layden reach his stated goal of making the playoffs next year?

The Magic know they'll probably need to be drafting higher than No. 15 to get the guy they're after, Marquette's Dwyane Wade. But what do they have to offer? With most of their players hitting the free-agent market this summer; Doc Rivers can't afford to dump anyone, unless someone's willing to take Pat Garrity or Grant Hill off his hands.

More draft rumblings

Several top European prospects are expected to arrive in the U.S. this week to begin workouts. Yugoslavia's Alexsandar Pavlovic and Slavko Vranes arrived in New York this weekend to begin working out with Darko Milicic. They'll start individual workouts next week. Spain's Maciej Lampe will also be here soon. His team, Universidad Complutense, was eliminated this weekend. Lampe played well in the series, averaging 20 points and 10 rebounds. He'll arrive in Chicago this week and begin training with Tim Grover at Hoops Gym.

Several top draft prospects, including Dwyane Wade and Leandrinho Barbosa, are earning early draft buzz. Wade got rave reviews for a workout in Chicago on Friday. "He's got an unbelievable first step," one Bulls source told Insider. However, the Bulls are looking for a wing player who can shoot the ball, and Wade really meets neither description. The day before Barbosa came in and impressed Bulls brass with what the same Bulls source called "amazing athleticism." Barbosa also worked out in Milwaukee to strong reviews. "He's very long and active," a Bucks source told Insider. "He's got the chance to be really good; I'm just not sure how long it will take."

BYU's Travis Hansen has been working out alongside Duke's Dahntay Jones. Hansen is considered the more complete player, but Jones may be the best athlete in the draft. So how did the two stack up in workouts? "Jones is an amazing athlete," one NBA team told Insider, "but what amazed us is how well Hansen hung with him. I'll be shocked if Hansen isn't drafted in the first round. Jones may be too. They're both playing really well."

With that little prediction, we'll have to increase the number of first-rounders to 50 to get everyone in. The most interesting was the Charlotte Observer, which wrote a piece marveling over why Josh Howard isn't a mid-first-rounder. The story blamed the Internet (when in doubt ...) for Howard's slip.

As the coaching carousel turns

With Larry Brown's resignation on Monday, there are now seven (Hawks, Cavs, Rockets, Clippers, Hornets, Sixers and Raptors) coaching positions open. If the Wizards fire Doug Collins as expected, that will make eight.

I think a lot of us assumed that Brown would kick back and retire for a while. But now I keep hearing that he could be heading back to the Clippers. Meanwhile, Jeff Van Gundy is dating both the Rockets and Cavs. And Paul Silas is standing around waiting to see where Brown and Van Gundy end up.

In a perfect world, here is how the NBA coaching carousel should look when it finally stops spinning:

Larry Brown: Clippers. It makes sense folks. He's one of the few coaches who has a great relationship with Donald Sterling. With Brown taking the reigns, Sterling might feel more comfortable about actually signing a guy or two. Brown's greatest achievement could be turning around a Clippers squad with all of the talent in the world, but no clue how to put it all together.

Jeff Van Gundy: Rockets. He'd be crazy not to take this job. With Steve Francis, Yao Ming and young players like Eddie Griffin and Bostjan Nachbar already in place, the team has nowhere to go but up. A little Van Gundy discipline is all they need to be a playoff contender.

Paul Silas: Cavs. The Cavs need a good coach, and Silas is the best coach on the board. Players love him, because he's nurturing. But he's also strict enough to keep them in line. He'll have to be patient with this squad, but there could be some serious rewards.

Maurice Cheeks: Sixers. He'd bolt the Portland madhouse in a second to get a chance to coach back home.

Eddie Jordan: Raptors. Jordan knows a thing or two about coaching great point guards. If the Raptors take T. J. Ford as expected, they should be ready to roll right back into the playoffs.

Doug Collins: Blazers. I know it's a long shot, but I'd love to see it, wouldn't you? Doug crying his eyes out over the dead-head Blazers every night makes great copy. Don't go into the light Doug. Stay away from the light.

Tim Floyd: Hornets. I believe in second chances. The fact he didn't hang himself in Chicago is a plus. The Hornets are a good team. With the right coach, they'll stay that way.

Mike Dunleavy: Wizards. He has to resurface somewhere, doesn't he?

How would you guys feel if we traded sar to miam fro eddie jones and their 5th pick.. we then draft cris kaman or bosh. theo could move to pf which would be much better position for him.

I would do that in a heartbeat. Howevwer Bosh is at least 25 pounds from ever playing center. He is only 19 but could be better than Duncan or atleast more versatile. Worst case scenerio, he is a 7' Reef, not bad.

Better present team and future team.

Seems too good to be true.

those are certainly Duncan/Garnett type of numbers.....he looks like is going to be a star, just looking at him. Sometimes you can look at a guy and then read about him without having seen him play more than a couple of times like I have and just have a feeling about a guy. Of course I thought the same of Kwame Brown (even though I hadnt seen him play).....so I could be wrong, but I have a feeling about Bosh. Also, I am very intrigued by Lampe. If he is anything like a Dirk with defense like he is being compared, look out. This could be one of the best drafts ever hands down and to have the #5 pick, plus the #21 pick would be huge. We could potentially get 2 starters (Bosh/Jones) for Reef, plus add a healthy DJ and the #21 pick (Outlaw?) and we would be much better than last season. This team needs some youth, athleticism, energy, and charisma and adding Jones and Bosh and Outlaw would go a long way towards doing that.

what seperates him from others his age his how silky smoothe his offensive game is. He has low post moves and an outside jumper. He is already fundamentally sound and is a natural shot blocker (leading the ACC in blocks). It is not like he isn't tested. He played the likes of Maryland, Duke, and Wake Forest twice. He was also playing with young Yellow Jacket team with a freshman PG (Jack) who is a good player but forgot to give the ball to Bosh too often, particularlly at the end games.

If this is a real possiblelity the trade must happen. I just see Bosh going #4 and us being stuck with Kaman. Therefor it will have to wait till draft night to see if Bosh is still around.

• Premium Member

Ford or Kaman goes #4.

There is definite need for a big man or a PG in Toronto. Remember, they have a few PFs when you add AD, JYD, Bradley, Baston. What they need is more than Williams at the PG. He shot a terrible FG% and they would love to have a kid like gaurd running that offense that boasters:

Vince, Mo Pete, JYD, AD.

Plus, Bosh is a project for now. Whereas Ford can come in, learn, and probably be a top PG in 2 to 3 years. It all depends though.

It will be very interesting to see if we take a trade such as SAR for Jones and the number 5 pick. I wouldn't do it for Grant and the pick though. With Jones, we get the ball handling we need to go along with JT. I would actually be willing to put off a trade for GRob if this were to happen. To bad we couldn't trade GRob and SAR for Jones, Grant and the number 5 pick. But, then again, maybe GRob would start working out better with Jones in the lineup. I do agree that Theo would probably do better at PF if we could get a decent C in the draft as some has mentioned. I didn't get to follow the college game that much this year other than Arizona so I really have no clue. If we do get the pick and we draft a C, we need to play him immediately in order to allow him to grow. It would be great to get the Amare of this years draft.

Now there's an interesting trade. Modify it to include thier 1st (5th pick) considering that Grant and Jones both have 4 years left on their deals relative to the two of both SAR and GRob. Thoughts?

Atlanta trades: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 37.5 minutes)

PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.9 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 3.0 apg in 38.1 minutes)

Atlanta receives: SG Eddie Jones (18.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.1 minutes)

PF Brian Grant (10.3 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 1.3 apg in 32.2 minutes)

Change in team outlook: -11.9 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and -1.0 apg.

Miami trades: SG Eddie Jones (18.5 ppg, 4.8 rpg, 3.7 apg in 38.1 minutes)

PF Brian Grant (10.3 ppg, 10.2 rpg, 1.3 apg in 32.2 minutes)

Miami receives: SF Glenn Robinson (20.8 ppg, 6.6 rpg, 3.0 apg in 69 games)

PF Shareef Abdur-Rahim (19.9 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 3.0 apg in 81 games)

Change in team outlook: +11.9 ppg, 0.0 rpg, and +1.0 apg.

TRADE ACCEPTED

Due to Atlanta and Miami being over the cap, the 15% trade rule is invoked. Atlanta and Miami had to be no more than 115% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Guest Walter

I can't help but like any deal that gets rid of Hog. Moreover, I think Miami may like him if only for his earlier expiring contract (They certainly wouldn't for his position, given Butler plays Sf). Miami really needs a 5 if you make this deal. They also need a 1. Not sure.

Grant is a good rebounding Pf to put alongside Theo. Defensively VERY strong inside. It also gives Bosch time to develop. Honestly though, I never watched Bosch play this year and really wonder if he is a (near?) future 25/10 player or this is more hype. I like what I've read on Lampe (sp?) also, but the same goes and he's only 17. It really would be imperative that "our man" whoever he was, was available at 5. I really don't want Toronto getting "our man" (outside of the top 3) and still being stuck with the deal.

Downside? We'd have Hendu's, SAR's, GRob's, and Theo's deal "off the books" within 2 years without a trade that brings in longer contracts. While I'm willing to take on a longer contract for one player, namely Hog, it seems an awful lot to do for two. I'd do it, however, to see the lineup of

Theo/Nazr

Grant/Bosch

DJ/Newble

Jones/Glover

JT/Dickau

I'd look to draft both for now and for the long term. Outlaw, Boris Diaw, or maybe Pavlovic at 21 for athleticism. If we don't resign all our swingmen and we drafted Outlaw who is still some time away with our 1st pick of the 2nd rd I draft Howard or Jones for immediate help and what I believe are underrated games. Also to consider with such a trade is whether Miami needs a Pg thrown in, if so I give them Dickau and pick up Chris Thomas (effectively sending a player with a guaranteed contract for one without a guaranteed contract) over another swingman. Lastly, I go very big and young with the 2nd 2nd rder. Lang or Perkins. Lang 1st as he has tremendous, Brand-like hands from what I saw in the HS All-American game. His reported ability to get his weight to 280 for last season also is important given questions about his weight.

...of note...

This will be the deepest draft for many years since the 20 and older age requirement is apparently to go into affect. If there is any year to amass several 2nd rders now is the time. Sign them and play them in the NBDL but still get some of this talent that in other years might sneak into the 1st rd and see what comes of it.

Both of those guys are injury prone and both are past their primes. If we did the deal, I'd prefer to get Jones and still shoot for having some caproom in 2 years when Theo, Hendu and Dog all come off the books. There is a stellar FA class that year and I would LOVE to be able to go after a missing piece to add to a developing nucleus of JT, DJ and Bosh with Jones still around as that veteran leader.

I don't have a problem moving Dog, but I don't want to move him for a guy like Grant who is injury prone with a big, long contract.

I was thinking the same thing about possibly including DD if they want him in the deal. Riles had publicly talked about his desire to try Butler as a pg in the coming season, supposedly working with him (or getting people to) for most of the summer.

It's a decent trade really, primarily due to the rule of thumb of trades ~ both teams need to feel that they're giving something up that they're not completely sure that they want to do, but at the same time, getting something that looks promising.

With the 21 I'd still like to try outlaw (possibly), though I'd still want to resign Ira for sf purposes. That position would be our weakest, though with a frontcourt of Ira, Grant, and Theo we'd become a very defense oriented team (to use a diesel-ism)

no benefit without risk, and honestly, if one of the Big Three are going to be moved, it outta be Dog unless we can get a true superstar, perennial all-star, for one of the others. If we can't, then I'd almost rather try for some stability in the Atl, something we haven't tried yet, and see where that gets us. Chemistry, which we've been lacking, doesn't just happen, it's got to be built...you can't do that moving players all the time.

Stability should be given a chance to form chemistry. We saw it happening at the end of the year.

I would however wait till the 5th pick comes up, and if

the Raptors take Ford and Bosh is still around I #5 I pull the trigger. if Bosh is gone the onely other player I'd consider is Wade. Get Grant instead of Jones and draft Wade. If Bosh is gone then lets stick with what we got and just add to it with #21 (hopefully sg).

Grant and Wade ?

Jones and Bosh ? Too bad Bosh will be gone.

Stability add the # 21 pick ?

Jones is no sure thing. He has had a number of serious injuries over the last few years. Doctors have said that the shoulder he dislocated could pop back out at any time and when his ankle injury first occurred, the Heat feared that the injury was similar to the one that Grant Hill suffered. That doesn't even take into account that he will be 32 early next season and that he's not quite as explosive as he once was.

As for Bosh, I think he's going to be terrific but what if he's the next John Bender (not meaning a bust because Bender is still too young to be a bust but meaning that he could take 4+ years to become a regular contributor)?

Adding Grant and his injury history to that uncertainty is just too much for me. Besides, Grant and Jones have done absolutely nothing playing together in Miami. Why would they all of a sudden come to our team and make us special?

I agree 100% that I would trade Dog first of any of the Big 3 IF we could get equal value in return. Obviously that is not the case. Reef is going to fetch SIGNIFICANTLY more than Dog or JT will. I too would PREFER to get an established superstar for Reef but I don't know if that's realistic.

Finally, if we can't make a deal to our liking, I have no problem giving the nucleus of Reef, JT, Dog & Theo another chance. I would try to add complimentary pieces (ballhandling SG & big/physical PF/C) to the mix and see if they do better with a different coach and a year of experience playing together under their belts. If it doesn't work, we are only one year away from being in a terrific salary cap situation with a stellar group of FAs on the market.