• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Do you like JT at point?

Hawks4ever

-- Some think he's good at PG, we just need a coach to teach him how to run an offense.

-- Some think he can rack up the assists, but is a SG and will never be able to run a team. Those think we need a big PG or JT must go.

Which group are you in? I'm in the 1st group. I want to keep him, but a real coach who could run a real offense would be nice. There's no reason why this team can't average over 98-100ppg

these days, if u are 6'2" and under- u can only play the POINT in the NBA. here is my opinion

1)the game is changing. There arent many "PURE" john stockton pass-first, shoot-second point guards. A typical point guard should be the BEST PASSER on the team, have good speed, get few steals, and hit down the OPEN shoot when given the opportunity. Well, not anymore!

Baron Davis, Stevie Franchise, Gilbert Arenas (JTs twin), and other allstar point guards arent the typical PGs but u dont see their fans complaining. If IVERSON played PG, no one in philly would be complaining.

Im all about winning... if we trade GROB/ABDUR-RAHIM/TERRY/RATLIFF and get in return bunch of no-name players that wins games and get us into the playoffs... im all for it!

unless we can get a better player in return for JT, im not in favor of trading HIM.

2)Before we blame him for all of our troubles, i want to bring in a SG that can handle the ball like a SG (glover/newble/grob all have handles like a SF, not a SG). Terry has absolutely no help. While we all agree that hes decision making skills improved, he needs help at that SG position.

If that doesnt help, then im willing to give up on my TERRY PROJECT.

3)Dont listen to ESPN... they havent seen 1 hawks game last season. In fact, they dont even cover the hawks well. At least they give props to DENVER for trying their hardest.

other sports networks copy ESPN and say the same thing ESPN says just to receive recognition... they all wish they were ESPN.

4)If the hawks made the playoffs this year, i have a feeling that NOBODY would be criticizing JT the same manner we do now.

• Premium Member

I think JT is a Very good player but he's a mediocre to less than average Playmaker/offense runner. Yes, guys who are less than Stellar playmakers/offense runners play the PG position out of neccessity... However, when they are not accompanied by another strong ball handler, they struggle.

For example:

Billups. This year Billups did well with Detroit... Until they played NJ and he couldn't control the tempo. That pace was NJ's pace all game long and they crucified Detroit with it.

Marbury. Marbury is a better PG (playmaker, etc) than JT, but he also have the luxury of having Penny in Phoenix. A couple of years ago in NJ, he didn't have a strong ball handler. While Kidd maybe able to play through that, Marbury was labeled selfish because of it.

Francis. Francis is a huge turnover machine. However, he and Mobley are a dynamic duo of backcourts. Mobley helps Francis and Francis plays better becuase of Mobley and they style of Basketball Houston plays.

Davis. It's known that Davis has Wesley who himself was a SG in a PGs body. Well that combo works becuase they both are similar in how they play.

The sad part is that JT is not as good a PG as any of these guys mentioned above. However, he's just as good a player as all of them. Only by watching JT can you become utterly fustrated with his lack of vision, lack of ability to make the good pass, lack of ability to read a defense. He'll get some assists but don't be fooled by his numbers.... His game is that of a SG.

I think over time, with the right players around him, he can be better. Like in Sacramento how they have covered Bibby.... But Bibby is more pure PG than JT. For us to win with JT... this is what we would need.

An off gaurd like Rose or Barry.... Or a SF like Odom.

I agree with about 95% of what you said (Wow thats never happened).

I think JT should stay at the point in ATL.

Unfortunately every year he is put in a bad situation.

Year after year he has 3 or 4 new starters who's tendancies he must learn to be an effentive pg. 2001-02 He had DJ (poor ball handler at 2 guard), Ira (1/2 way through year) Crawford and Glover the othwer 1/2 at SF, Reef PF, and Nazr C (actually 4 new starters, no stability = no chemistry). 2002-03 Theo finally got healthy, DJ got hurt. so he had: Glover SG,Dog SF, Reef PF, and Theo C (once again 3 new starters, no stability = no chemistry).

I hate to bring up his rookie year but he was destined to fail with no scoreing options on the team, JT had Jim Jackson, McCloud, Hendu, and Deke, now JJ would be a good compliment, wish we never traded him for Knight. (None of these guys are starter quality anymore except for maybe JJ. That year Deke & McCloud were traded 1/2 way through the year for Theo and Nazr, Theo would not really play for 1 1/2 years with the exception of 3 or 4 games.

Its confusing just reading all of the teams changes, now imagine being the young pg trying to mesh with new players every single year and run a team that is managed so poorly by the GM who tries to cover up his mistakes before he makes them.

The point is if a better team drafted JT he would have had a much better career to this point.

I thought at the end of this past year JT played the best all-round ball of his career. Chemistry was forming. The reason for this was due to the team's stability (no mid-season trades and lack of injuries that has plagued the Hawks in the past. Another reason JT's improved play was Dion improvment as the off guard. This is something JT never had since his rookie year with JJ(an average 2 guard) DJ never dribbled, I considered DJ playing the Big Dog sf role of spot up shooter. An upgrade at 2 guard is definately needed b/c no matter how hard Glover works he will never be the type of off guard (ball-handler) that is needed to mesh with JT. However Glover would be an excellent bench player. DJ can not be counted on after being paralyzed with a broken neck.

I totally agree that a player like Barry,McKie, or Rose is what compliments JT the best. I also believe a player like this can be found with #21 pick in this years draft. If not the new owner must pay a little luxury tax to get the right SG free agent to Atlanta