• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Why was the "passive" Marvin the go to guy

Admin

so many times in the 4th quarter? The guy is as aggressive as a nun and yet we are looking for him to establish position on the low block isolated against his man to try and score. I just don't understand that. Maybe if Marvin had the ability to score or even get to the FT line but he can't do either of those plus he would rather be at home reading a children's book instead of taking it to the hole. Maybe someone (Diesel?) can shed some light on this tactic.

• Moderators

Quote:

Did you watch the game? lol Marv took it to the basket several times down the stretch and got to the line. They were fouling him like crazy all game.

Read the post again while watching for sarcasm.

Uh, how may times did Marvin get to the free throw line last night? And when the T'Wolves were in the penalty with about 8 minutes left in the quarter, who was the only player that constantly drove the lane and forced the foul (as opposed to settle for a jumper)? Do you really want to call Marvin passive on the next morning after he shot 15 free throws and was the principle offensive weapon in the 4Q that lead to the late game heroics of Smith and JJ? Maybe he was the go to guy because he was the one with enough wits about him to make the right play throughout the 4th quarter.

• Moderators

Quote:

Uh, how may times did Marvin get to the free throw line last night? And when the T'Wolves were in the penalty with about 8 minutes left in the quarter, who was the only player that constantly drove the lane and forced the foul (as opposed to settle for a jumper)? Do you really want to call Marvin passive on the next morning after he shot 15 free throws and was the principle offensive weapon in the 4Q that lead to the late game heroics of Smith and JJ? Maybe he was the go to guy because he was the one with enough wits about him to make the right play throughout the 4th quarter.

As mentioned above, read the post again while watching for sarcasm.

Quote:

Quote:

As mentioned above, read the post again while watching for sarcasm.

LOL i guess we need to start putting disclaimers on sarcastic posts so they aren't misunderstood.

Is Marvin the one responsible for not blocking out Brewer and letting him get 18 rebounds? Marvin only got 3.

• Moderators

Quote:

Is Marvin the one responsible for not blocking out Brewer and letting him get 18 rebounds? Marvin only got 3.

He wasn't the only one matched up with Brewer but he did have him a good portion of the time and did not do a good job putting a body on him or aggressively hitting the boards himself last night. The offense from Marvin was excellent - particularly that string of possessions where we went back to him over and over and he drew fouls basically every time.

Quote:

Most of Brewer rebounding was defensive I think??? So I am not sure if that has anything to do with Marvin not boxing out.

3 rebounds is pretty lame regardless of what else is going on. Marvin has the size and quickness to be a good rebounder at the 3 but he really hasn't shown consistent effort.

I was definitely being sarcastic.

As for Brewer, somebody should have put a body on him, that kid was everywhere. He looked like Chillz with the way he was knifing in for rebounds, although I don't think Chillz has ever had that many rebounds in a game. That was one of the best performances (rebound wise) I have ever seen from a wing player. Thank God the kid can't make a layup to save his life or we would have been blown out last night.

Quote:

Quote:

Most of Brewer rebounding was defensive I think??? So I am not sure if that has anything to do with Marvin not boxing out.

3 rebounds is pretty lame regardless of what else is going on. Marvin has the size and quickness to be a good rebounder at the 3 but he really hasn't shown consistent effort.

I agree 100%. It's by far the most disappointing part of his pro career. With his good hands, athleticism, court awareness and huge back side he could be a great rebounder, not just a good one. And his ability to put the ball on the floor in transition would make his improved rebounding an extremely dangerous weapon.

Quote:

Quote:

It's hard to grab a board when Horford's in the game. The guy is a rebound hog.
grin.gif

Tell that to Corey Brewer! (Seriously, I love Horford's performance on the boards, too.)

Thats because Horford thought Brewer was his team-mate. Old Florida instinct. Horf was boxing out Marvin.

Brewer reminds me of Sprewell.

He's not the scorer that Sprewell is, but for some reason he just reminds me of Sprewell.

And Marvin Williams was huge in the 4th. Got to the line time after time.

we really needed to stop Al Jefferson. We started doubling him, but the kid is good.

May be the confrontation has ignited his competitive spirit. I have never seen him so emotionally involved. He was playing through injury and I though he would be tentative and driving and would settle for jump shots. Instead he was driving like crazy, diving all over the floor. Hope this becomes a trend.

Smoove, Marvin and Horf have started to play the way they need to play. Hope this continues for 10+ years.

• Moderators

One thing Marvin did a very good job of last night that doesn't show up on a stat sheet is poking the ball free from an opponent without fouling. He did that about 4-5 different times, including once where he saved a basket just as effectively as if he had gone airborn and swatted the ball into the stands.