• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Last Nights game...

Diesel

• Premium Member

There were two reasons we lost last night.

1. Smoove's Shooting.

2. Woody's subbing.

First.. Smoove was just missing and missing horribly.

Second. The subbing. IF you watched, you noticed that we will be better as an uptempo team. ON run outs we were killing Detroit. IN the halfcourt, we were a joke. Woody would sub out players who were there for the runout and go with lineups like Lo and Zaza... That kills our ability to run.

Lastly, don't say one word about Marvin's improved aggressiveness. When we need him, he can't be found!!!

Quote:

When we need him, he can't be found!!!

All you had to do was look at the foul line. He was there more than anyone on either team.

he sure did look timid when he had the ball at the top of the key, drove and tried to dunk on Maxiel, getting fouled in the process. He really wimped out there.

• Premium Member

Yeah.

He wimped out all over the place. This is what I know. IF Marvin would assert himself more, we'd see less of Smoove putting up garbage...Moreover, in the halfcourt set, there was nothing aggressive to be found in Marvin's game. It's better that you talk about him in transition....Well, except that one time it was him and Aj on the break and Aj gave it up to him and he gave it back... and AJ was forced to pass it out to your other favorite. Aggressive would have gone for the dunk!!!

• Premium Member

Naw...

Marvin scored a lot of his points on the break.

It was 2 times he "attacked in the halfcourt"... and one of those trips to the foul line, I have to side with Tayshun... Nobody fouled him. It was another case of Marvin ducking his head into his lap and running foward.

Going to the foul line is good when you're behind by a little. However, what we needed was sustained offense from somebody. When JJ and Smoove are off, we're superstar Marvin? He's trading foul line trips with Detroit...

Quote:

Marvin scored a lot of his points on the break.

It was 2 times he "attacked in the halfcourt"... and one of those trips to the foul line,

LOL i guess you didn't watch the game.

marvin made only 4 baskets from the field on the game. One was a running floater in the half court set. He made a couple of jumpers too.

And as you pointed out he tends to defer on the break if he doesn't have an open lane.

So how did he score "most of his points" on the break?

Quote:

So now it's Marvin's fault that Josh played bad.

You're getting more creative, that's for sure.

Yeah, that Marvin really has a lot on his shoulders. Not only is he blamed for being a bust, he now has the burden of being responsible for another one of Josh Smith's brickfests.

Marvin is truly the only Hawk that takes what the defense gives him, doesn't force, and plays within himself. If only Smoove would adopt the same philosophy. That 40% shooting number is a direct reflection of forcing shots. Taking poor shots. But Woody watches it happen so whose fault is it?

The sky is green, the grass is blue, and the world is flat. No you can't argue those facts with me because I spend all day on the internet looking for pictures of the sky, the grass, and the shape of the world and I have found evidence to back up what I say. Oh and don't ask me if I have actually gone outside to check these things out for myself because I won't answer you, I will just make it seem like I have been outside and I will base my facts off of the real truth's that I have found online doing Google searches.

I have been critical of JS, as well, but the his and the Hawks shooting woes are because their is no offensive system. Everyone has to create their own shot.

As it is, the Hawks have three players that take their shots within the flow of the offense, or if you will, from what the defense gives them. That would be: Marvin, Horford, and Childress. If it were not for these three players, the Hawks would be shooting below 40% as a team.

This is not just a JS phenomenon, it is a team-wide epidemic.

• Premium Member

People.

IF Josh and JJ are having a bad game, yes, it's Marvin's responsibility to step up.

It's sad that win, lose, or draw, Marvin always gives the same thing. Some people applaud that as consistency. I see that as a player who can't turn it up when you need him to.

So you can say I'm from whatever place you want to... at least I'm realistic!

Marvin can't pass the ball to himself. JJ has shot poorly most of the year with tonight as the exception. When JJ isn't hoisting away you can always count on Smoove to throw his stuff up there...

Our offense is broken. Marvin is the distant 3rd option on most occasions. That's the way the offense is built. The fact that he is averaging 16ppg with so few opportunities is a testimony to his improved efficiency.

When the ball only comes to you occasionally its hard to step up. Frankly, we need more players with Marvin's mindset, ie, wants to take good shots and not force up garbage. If Smoove would tone it down a notch in the shot department the Hawks would be a better team.

• Premium Member

When he plays well???

Let's get this straight now. Marvin is consistent. However, consistent to a fault.

It doesn't help us if he gets his 16 points and shuts it down when we're losing the game. That's not playing well. IF you're referring to tonight, Charlotte is on a 4 game losing streak. We're supposed to beat them. I'm talking about making the team better for a playoff run and you're celebrating a victory over a cellar dweller.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Our offense is broken. Marvin is the distant 3rd option on most occasions. That's the way the offense is built. The fact that he is averaging 16ppg with so few opportunities is a testimony to his improved efficiency.

First off,

How do you think Smoove got into the position of being the second option? Smoove asserted himself. Smoove can't pass the ball to himself either. So there must be something?? How about Smoove calls for the ball. Smoove gets open. Smoove is not afraid to take the shot. Sure, we'd all love it if Smoove could hit the open shot with consistency like Marvin. However, Marvin will never be a superstar or a star if he doesn't develop a desire to have the ball. Moreover our offense will always be broken.

Here's the problem. We need Marvin to be a threat to take the pressure off the other guys. But Marvin is not a threat. If Marvin demanded the ball, took 16-18 shots per game do you know how much more freedom JJ would have? Do you know how open the post would be? Do you know how easily we'd beat teams? Now we're in search of another shooter because Marvin won't do the job....

However, it's that same personality flaw we have seen time and time again...

Willing to sit on the bench in the championship game so that another kid could play. Willing to come off the bench in college. Now it's that he's willing to defer defer defer so that other guys can whatever...

"Petey, You're killing us!!"

Until Marvin makes defenses respect him and make his teammates pass him the ball, we will always be that team filled with talent but somehow can't get over the hump!