• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

K-Mart inspired by DJ....nice story

Admin

PRO BASKETBALL: Misfortunate assist: Nets' Martin credits Hawk for his change

Michael Lee - Staff

Sunday, June 8, 2003

East Rutherford, N.J. --- Kenyon Martin is the brash, boisterous type who will dunk on you with the ferocity of a lion, stare at you until he completely backpedals down the court and repeatedly tap his left pectoral to let you know he's got heart. If the dunk is vicious enough, he might howl and rip his jersey open to show you the tattoo on his chest that reads, "Bad A-- Yellow Boy."

Martin likes to be seen on the court; that's why his after-dunk theatrics usually get more notice than his actual game. Until this season, the 6-foot-9 New Jersey Nets power forward's explosive play also took a back seat to his explosive temper and a burgeoning reputation as a renegade thug, body-slamming his way to the league lead in flagrant fouls last season.

But Martin said he has changed partly because of the misfortune of his friend and former college teammate, DerMarr Johnson of the Atlanta Hawks. When he heard about Johnson's car accident on Sept. 13, which left Johnson with four cracked vertebrae in his neck and forced him to miss the entire season, Martin flew to Atlanta to be by his side. He left a changed man.

"That's my boy," Martin said before his Nets get set to play the San Antonio Spurs in Game 3 of the NBA Finals tonight. "Seeing him in the hospital, it hurt. It let me know it can be over at any time."

Martin wore specially made Reeboks at the beginning of the season with "Slim 1" on the side for the Hawks guard's nickname and jersey number.

Now that Johnson has worked his way back into playing shape, Martin no longer wears those kicks, but he can never get past his connection with Johnson. They have the same-type tattoo inked on their left forearms, some Chinese lettering that means, "Never satisfied."

Martin certainly wasn't satisfied with the Lakers sweeping the Nets out of the finals last year, and he let out a rant that many suspect led to Keith Van Horn being shipped out of town for Dikembe Mutombo.

He has backed up his words with improved play this season, averaging 16.7 points and 8.3 rebounds in the regular season. He is averaging 17.5 points and 8.5 boards in the series with the Spurs.

And he has popped off from time to time this week (of course, a man with heart would like to speak from it). After fouling out of Game 1 while trying to guard Tim Duncan, a reporter asked Martin if he was frustrated with the officiating. Martin shot back, "You going to pay my fine if I say something?"

"No," the reporter said. "Well, you got your answer," he said.

A day later, Martin pointed the finger at Nets coach Byron Scott for failing to double-team Duncan in Game 1.

Martin's rep now is of a tough, physical defender. His game is still animated and emotional, but Martin no longer feels the need to be the bad boy.

"I think Kenyon has just matured," Scott said of his emerging star.

Indeed.

I have to agree (somewhat) with Mr. H.

I think Kenyon is still a brash, rude jerk on the court ... I don't really see plays as big as his mouth, but then again ... I think he is makes the All-Star jerk squad.

I mean, when Duncan went to help him up last night and he ripped himself away from TD. He did it in a manner that was "threatening"... If I were TD, I'd have punched him.

I think what the NBA needs is ... ENFORCERS! They have them in hockey, and all the NBA players think they are fighters... it'd be great and add a whole "new" element to the game.

Play.

Hes matured... hes not fouling outta control anymore. He plays hard and he plays with emotion- but thats his game.

Hes not like TIM DUNCAN. Hes not the type of guy to be quiet and lead in that way. He gets energy by dunking on people and looking back.

When u guys ball, dont u tend to trashtalk/stare down ur man/etc after a HIGHLIGHT PLAY? I do that to my friends ALL THE TIME, and they know its all in the "heat of the moment." No friendship is going to end just b/c we're playing with attitude. When u guys make a highlight play, do u just go back on defense without talking (if u do, im proud of u- its ur thang, its how U play)? Its all in the game. If his goal is to PHYSICALLY HURT the other player, thats something else. Hes also not the CRAZY-NUT like RON ARTEST. Hes just playin his style.

Hes playing with emotion... nothing wrong with that.

I mean, when Duncan went to help him up last night and he ripped himself away from TD. He did it in a manner that was "threatening"... If I were TD, I'd have punched him.

Yeah that was funny. I think people should leave K-Mart alone. This guy is not like Sheed getting T's left and right and he looks like he's passed his flagrant foul habits to Ron Artest. Fact is, K-Mart's one H-e-l-l of a basketball player, who will become better. I don't mind seeing a fiery guy in these finals who will show some emotion. Leave dude alone...

Kenyon is a loose cannon and a moron.

Emotion is one thing, but screaming for three minutes about a dunk, going to the sidelines and doing the little "[censored]" finger thing with the coach and forgetting to hustle back because he is enjoying his ESPN-time.... it's stupid.

It is why there needs to be an enforcer in basketball. Just a 5'6" dude who walks in and thrashes these wanna-be tough-guys.

As for me talking trash ... no, I don't. First, I'm not a good enough player. Second, it's annoying when someone does it to me. I played at a VERY high level of football, and never talked trash though. I felt it was my JOB. I had to act like I've caught a ball before. I had to act like I've blocked an LB before.

Now, I'm in the corporate world. My job is to insure that risk and legal problems don't overwhelm the company. I can't hoot and hollar everytime I give a fraudster a negative rating. It isn't professional.

At the end of the day --- these guys are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS. It is about time they acted like it.

Play.

it's also regreshing to see them enjoying the game though man. Was Deek's finger wag (even to the crowd) somethign that everyone on this board (aka, Hawks fans) hated? I like Kenyon's agressiveness, his fire...though I hated it last year when he was a thug...however, as it's been said, it appears that he's gotten past the flagrants and thuggery and just plays the game, hard.

Weasel,

Personally, I think the finger wave is stupid. It angers me each time I see that ugly, ugly man do it. I just want to bend his finger back and slap him. Plus, I have a personal reason to hate Deke.

As for Kenyon, he is STILL a thug. Did you watch him dump TD in the third row for no reason. He throws bows. Acts foolish.

KM is a thug, and needs to be throttled. If Willis beat him like a red-headed stepchild, the world would be better.

Play.

Weaseldom,

"No, I wouldn't".

I don't think Kenyon Martin is that good of a player.

I think Jason Kidd and the system make Kenyon Martin look better than he is.

I think he is a disruption and the lw-down on him is that he isn't that hard of a worker. He may act like a fool every time he dunks, but other than that, he is a product of a good system.

Play.

Ron Artest is a LOOSE CANNON & a MORON. K-Mart just plays with emotion,& in basketball you have to have that attitude. You have to intimidate people, he isn't as bad as he used to be, but he still plays with emotion & I bet anyone involved with the NBA doesn't care that he plays that way,as long as he can back it up.

~Peace

JJJohns3,

Who cares what other people in the NBA think? Or what the ESPN-gurus think that adolecents want to see on the highlight reels?

The fact is that people like Kenyon Martin are destroying the product. The NBA is NOT marketable right now and is in RAPID decline because the product stinks ... and half the players are repeat felons.

Sure, the NFL is truly the National Felons League, but there are upwards of 70 people per team. A couple thugs is expected out of a group of 70.

But, basketball as a whole barely amasses the players to fill a football team ... and over half of them are thugs.

Fact is ... KM may "play with attitude". You may even agree with the style. But, adults pretty much across the board obviously disagree. Hence the decline in viewers.

As for HAVING TO INIMIDATE, I disagree ... or does the likes of Larry Bird, Magic Johnson, Kareem, Doc J, MJ seem to be an imposing group? Sure, they may have had inner dialogue, but at least they weren't ignorant thugs on the court.

Play.

SHOWING OFF

okay, u got the football skills but u dont show off... thats fine. In fact, THATS PRETTY DARN GOOD!

If i had my choice- i wouldnt want to show off either. But thats what makes it fun for me. If we couldnt show off, then it be a little boring. We wouldnt play as hard.

I understand how u feel... u say u dont like it when people do it to u. Thats cool! Im different. When people do that to me, i find it as a challenge. I get more serious, more focused, and I'll try my BEST TO GET U BACK! Im not gonna fight the dude that just put on a highlight reel against me. Its all in the game. After the game, i might even thank him for giving me a good game. And esp for me, its time like this... when i totally lose track of time and after the game im thinkin- "[censored].. im tired!!!"

-----------------------------------------------------------THUG/HARDCORE IMAGE

When it comes to skills, Shareef got a lot more basketball skills than Kenyon Martin. If Shareef had the same intensity as Martin, he'd be averaging 30 ppg, 10 rpg, 1.5 bpg.

Martin is very aggressive and thats how he plays. If he wasnt aggressive, he'd be a backup PF in this league. Its his hustle that got him drafted #1 in his class.

Do i WANT HIM ON THE HAWKS??? If we didnt have ABDUR-RAHIM, Yes! What team wouldnt want him?

Maybe his image is just for basketball... to intimidate. If it doesnt work, then it doesnt work... just like that. But if it does work, do u blame the guy for doing it?

Shaq gets away from lotta things, but hey... its working! Hes getting fouled and sometimes he makes the shot as hes getting fouled. If u dont like it, do u expect him to understand and change his game... maybe, start shooting 3s as part of his game?

-----------------------------------------------------------

REFS!

Yes, Kenyon did go a little overboard and got physical with Tim Duncan. But then- wheres the REFs? Playing with emotion is very good, it keeps that fire (something the hawks players dont have)... but it can also be used against u. If u want something really bad and dont get it- ull go crazy. Martin was trying to stop Duncan, and thats hard.. he was about to go crazy... he got physical with Duncan.

The REFs should be there to regulate... let Kenyon do his thang. If he gets physical and gets away with it, dont HATE HIM for it... blame the refs!

-----------------------------------------------------------

"these guys are supposed to be PROFESSIONALS"

Yes they are... in a perfect world, all the athletes would go to practice 5 minutes before it starts. They would have a heathly diet. They wouldnt go to clubs during the season. They wouldnt be caught up with soo much sex/gurls/drugs.

But thats not the world we live in. How are u suppose to say that Kenyon isint professional when there are guys out there that smoke weed everyday but dont get caught? Its not always in the newspapers (even tho some like Webber and the rest of PORTLAND TRAILBLAZERS have been caught). What about guys that are coming to practice late or not even showing up (Iverson)? What about blaming REFs after a game (if there wasnt a fine involved with this, everyone would be doing it)?

I dont expect much from professional athletes... and i could care less what they do outside of basketball. All i expect from them is to give me a great display of professional basketball... and Kenyon is doing it.

Like JASON- without Kenyon Martin, the series would have been over a long time ago.

Cyman,

Starting at the bottom ... on the professional side. Professional status should be displayed all over, just because you are a decent human. It is civilized. BUT, on the other hand, I could care less. If Chipper Jones wants to [censored] Hooter's girls ... god bless him! He ought ot take me with him once in a while. If The NBA players want to snort/smoke drugs ... I could care less. Their private life is between them and the law and the league. If the league doesn't want an image of crackhead players ... then they have that right. I don't care what someone does on their off time.

Should they act more civilized? Sure. Are they role models? Yes, even though it is unfortunate. I mean, most of these guys can't speak their way through a decent sentence and couldn't spell their names without help -- what more do you expect? Uneducated oftentimes equates to ignorance in the real world. Unfortunately, our youth follow these idiots like they knew what they were doing.

But, the on field/court play is all I care about. Give me a good product, I'll buy it. Do I need a widescreen Mega-Wega Plasma screen ... no, I don't. But, it was/is a good product. I bought it. Do I need a jaguar? No. I think the product is inferior for the price .. so I got something more functional. Infiniti's FX-35, which I love.

The NFL has a good "on-the-field" product, as does college football. I'll donate my time, which as they say, is money. The NBA has horrible "on-the-court" product. I support the player I like and may tune in to see the finals. Otherwise, the league could fold. I promise you this - If Reef was traded, I'd watch the other team exclusively. If he were hurt, I wouldn't watch.

------------THUGGISHNESS-------------

I do agree that if Reef played with intensity, he would average more points. But, intesity doesn't have to equate to thuggish, ruggish attitude. Duncan is intense. MJ was intense. Bird was intense.

--------------REFS--------------

I dedicated a whole thread to my opinion on these idiots.

---------SHOWING OFF ----------------

When someone flaunts a skill in my face, I want to impress upon them the skill I have with pulverizing their teeth with my left two knuckles.

If I am playing a videogame, I love the banter. It is stupid and ignorant. Fun, though.

In a game setting... I want to kill. Yes, I take the challenge, but it also infuriates me. I'd have respect for a guy like Barry Sanders that beat me, compared to Dion Sanders. (I know they play different positions... which leads me to ask: Why do WR/CB/Special Teams act more retarded than anyone else on the field?)

Basically, it boils down to this in my mind: You wouldn't act that way in hockey ... because the guys would kill you. If someone skated around the ice, screaming after a goal .. acting like Kenyon ... he'd never see his next shift.

Play.

with the NFL...is Warren Sapp really any different? Some love him, some hate him, but the fact of hte matter is that he gets the job done, thus he's a star with all the trappings and notoriety that comes with it....

Weaseldom,

Personally, I think Warren Sapp is a jerk off. I don't even think he garners half the fmae he does get.

I think the fact that he has all-stars at almost every position around him on defense helps him out a TON! He's a good player with a great media presence. Thus we think he too must be great.

40 tackles is impressive, but not overly so. He certainly isn't the best DT in the game.

The big difference is that with the NFL thugs and jerks (Sapp, Johnson, Moss, Owens) ... we get doses of them. The fact is that there isn't as much posturing in the NFL as there is in the NBA ... plus the level of "on-the-field" product is immeasurable.

Play.