• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Braves trade Devine for Kotsay

TroyMcClure

This is an excellent short term move for the Braves. If Kotsay is finally healthy, we really have lost nothing defensively. I know it's almost blasphemous to say that but Kotsay had the most of assists in baseball the last 5 years, I think. He's a very good outfielder and he can use the stick a little, too. The top of the order should be much improved. Our lineup is scary good.

Here's the Braves.com story:

link

Quote:

I assume that he will be batting 8th in the line-up, right? Sorry, but it is hard for me to get excited about a guy who played in less than 60 games last season and batted .214. This reminds me of the Craig Wilson signing last winter.

With Bobby, the 2 and the 8 are the same thing. Depending on how he looks, Kotsay may hit leadoff. Johnson is not really a leadoff hitter. Escobar is suited to be a true Jeter - like #2 hitter, imo. That would force Bobby to probably play Kotsay at leadoff or the #8 hole, like you said.

Really, it's about the defense he brings. We need an experienced person there. He has always been an exceptional defensive player.

Couldn't be happier with this trade. Its for a player that will run though walls for his teammates, he wants to play in Atlanta, and he only has year on his contract. Devine really showed very little in his time with the Braves.

I would think Mark could be anywhere in the lineup outside of the middle portions, but the other players will determine exactly where. I agree that Escobar should just be entrenched in the 2 hole.

I don't know much about Devine but Kotsay is one of the most underrated players in the game. His teammates love him and he plays the game really hard. That might be his biggest downfall too because he is so aggressive that he puts himself at risk of being injured in the outfield probably more than most OFers.