• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Pau Gasol Trade - revisited

T21

Quote:

Quote:

Trade Gasol

Chicago is about to trade Noce for Nachbar/Williams/Williams... Which will certainly change their roster..

look at this quote from that article:

"Following last year's debacle, Memphis brought in new head coach Marc Iavaroni, who is trying to put his stamp on the team by getting it to play his brand of hard-nosed, physical basketball. The Grizzlies also appear to be headed towards being more of an athletic team that runs, instead of trying to win with the half-court style of play that best suits Gasol."

Aren't the Hawks also an "athletic team that runs". If Gasol doesn't flourish with that kind of system, what sense does it make to bring him here? Wouldn't it be more of the same for him? I also didn't see the Hawks mentioned in there at all, as possibilities for a trade.

The Hawks players may want to run, but the HC doesn't want them to run. IF Woodson stays on as HC, then the trade for Gasol makes sense. Woody wants to slow the game down to a crawl. The only way to be effective in that system is to have a post scoring threat. Gasol is a legit post scorer. Hence, trading for Gasol signals that the running that was talked about early in the season was just Woody throwing smoke. sour.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Trade Gasol

Chicago is about to trade Noce for Nachbar/Williams/Williams... Which will certainly change their roster..

look at this quote from that article:

"Following last year's debacle, Memphis brought in new head coach Marc Iavaroni, who is trying to put his stamp on the team by getting it to play his brand of hard-nosed, physical basketball. The Grizzlies also appear to be headed towards being more of an athletic team that runs, instead of trying to win with the half-court style of play that best suits Gasol."

Aren't the Hawks also an "athletic team that runs". If Gasol doesn't flourish with that kind of system, what sense does it make to bring him here? Wouldn't it be more of the same for him? I also didn't see the Hawks mentioned in there at all, as possibilities for a trade.

Actually the Hawks should be an Athletic team that runs. However, we play too much half court basketball. We're only a run team out of pure necessity. We don't have the post play to be a true half court team, so our answer is to put our 6'9 lineup in and run. If we get Pau, we place him in the middle.. we'll still do some running, but we'll have an inside out game because of Pau's ability to score inside and pass.

WE NEED LOW-POST SCORING! Gasol is the man for that, plus he's great passer (so it's not just throw the ball down-low, like Zach Randolph!), he gets to the line...

He can run the floor too. I've seen tons of his games (Barcelona, Spanish national team, Memphis)... He is just smart player, who can adjust and excell in our system. He's also vocal leader, and still very young.

Getting this guy is the only way Hawks become more than just one-dimensional team...

Just think about the playoffs? Take a look at Phoenix and what they have done! When the tempo is slowed down and game is played in half-court sets, nothing can be done without strong post presence and ability to play different styles of B-Ball...

Part of our PG problem also comes from the same fact! We got nobody to throw the ball to in the low-post on regular basis... Our PG's are hitting the wall, running endless motion offenses, having no open looks...

I know there was some talk a few days ago concerning the Buck interest in Marvin. Any chance we get Milwaukee involved in a 3 way for Gasol? What I'm thinking is would Memphis have any interest in Charlie Villanueva? He's a legit 6'10" that can run and stretches out the defense. I couldn't quite get it to work under the CBA, but something along the lines of:

Atlanta Outgoing: Marvin Williams, Speedy Claxton, Tyronne Lue, ZaZa Pachulia, Lorenzen Wright

Atlanta Incoming: Pau Gasol and Maurice Williams

Memphis Outgoing: Pau Gaosl

Memphis Incoming: Tyronne Lue, Lorenzen Wright, Charlie Villanueva, ZaZa Pachulia, Ramon Sessions

Milwaukee Outgoing: Maurice Williams, Charlie V., Ramon Sessions

Milwaukee Incoming: Marvin Williams and Speedy Claxton

MoWill

JJ

Chillz

Smoove

Gasol

Bench: Horford, AJ, Law, Solo, West, Salim, Shelden

It's probably a little too lopsided for Atlanta and it makes it tough to re-sign Smoove this offseason, but of course, the presence of Horford could make Smoove available in a Sign- & Trade type of situation this offseason

I'm sure the Grizz would prefer to keep him but he came to them for one reason...it was Gasol's team.....and signed for a discount to play with his best fiend.

They may have an unhappy player if Gasol leaves without him.

I would not evern consider the deal without him included. He is the pure shooter we are in need of.

For the record I am not for ANY trade involing Smoove. If I were GM Smoove stays no matter what and I focus on smaller deals. However, this is the only Smoove trade I could tolerate and live with as a fan.

• Premium Member

Quote:

You'd think Memphis would want to keep him, but what about this deal?

Smoove, Lue, Lo, ZaZa

for

Gasol and Navarro

AJ

JJ

Marvin

Horford

Gasol

Bench: Law,Chillz,Navarro,Shelden,Salim,West,Solo

I think that is the most likely deal from our perspective. Memphis fans my push for Chillz or Marvin too. Either that or expect that we take Speedy. I think our management would do your deal but none of the others. As a fan, I would love to exchange Smoove for Marvin but I realize that Memphis is not desperate enough for that.

The competing trade is Gasol/Navarro/Warrick for Noce, Noah, and Joe Smith.

Quote:

Quote:

You'd think Memphis would want to keep him, but what about this deal?

Smoove, Lue, Lo, ZaZa

for

Gasol and Navarro

AJ

JJ

Marvin

Horford

Gasol

Bench: Law,Chillz,Navarro,Shelden,Salim,West,Solo

I think that is the most likely deal from our perspective. Memphis fans my push for Chillz or Marvin too. Either that or expect that we take Speedy. I think our management would do your deal but none of the others. As a fan, I would love to exchange Smoove for Marvin but I realize that Memphis is not desperate enough for that.

The competing trade is Gasol/Navarro/Warrick for Noce, Noah, and Joe Smith.

Look at the facts. It basically boils down to which is more valuable to Memphis?

Smith, Warrick, ZaZa and cap space (some of which will be used to re-sign Josh Smith

or

Nocioni, Noah, and Joe Smith (and probably less cap space)

That's a tough one. Could we sweeten the pot and possibly try to take Stoudamire's contract off their hands?

Not sure this makes a good deal for us, but this works....

Smith, Childress, ZaZa, Wright, Lue, Shelden

for

Gasol, Navarro, Stoudamire, and Warrick

Johnson

Johnson

Williams

Horford

Gasol

Bench: Stoudamire, Warrick, Navarro, Law, Jones, West, Stoudamire

That deal favors Memphis in my opinion, but it would definitely help us out in a few areas.