• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

NBA Draft: Hawks

HawkTodd

NBA Draft: Hawks.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nbadraft/d03/tracker/team?team=atl

ESPN's Take: The Hawks traded for Glenn Robinson in the offseason with hopes of contending instantly in the underwhelming Eastern Conference. Despite compiling a .350 winning percentage over the previous three seasons, the Hawks offered season-ticket holders a partial refund if the team didn't make the playoffs. It didn't and Lon Kruger barely made it to Christmas before the front office got antsy about its guarantee. Although the Hawks sport a solid threesome in Robinson, Shareef Abdur-Rahim and Jason Terry, ultimately there weren't enough balls to go around and the team never jelled or demonstrated any consistency or showed any signs of contending. Theo Ratliff wasn't the same force he was before undergoing hip surgery early in the 2001-02 season, and not only did Atlanta not take care of the ball (fifth-most turnovers in NBA), they forced the fewest turnovers in the league. If the Hawks allow Terry to leave as a restricted free agent, things could get worse -- if that's possible. Dan Dickau was clearly overmatched as a rookie and would need to show incredible improvement to even partially fill that void.

Draft Decisions:

*Will the Hawks go after another guard in the draft or do they have confidence in Dickau and Terry?

*Will there be a big man available late in the draft to help the Hawks with their depth at the PF and C positions?

*After guaranteeing a "playoff-caliber" team are the higher-ups in the executive positions in a "we must win now" mindset?

....................................................................................

BURLISON: NBA mock draft version 2.0 (6-19-03).

http://foxsports.lycos.com/content/view?contentId=1479028

21 Atlanta Hawks Jarvis Hayes SG/SF 6-6 ½, 220 Georgia

Considered the No. 4 shooting guard behind Dwyane Wade, Mikael Pietrus and Aleksander Pavlovic

....................................................................................

Pick 'em: Possible first-round selections (6-17-03).

http://www.sportingnews.com/voices/sean_de.../20030617a.html

21. Atlanta: Reece Gaines, PG, 6-6, 205, Louisville

Gaines has the size the Hawks need at the point, especially if they hope to keep Jason Terry. He also has toughness and polish, and can play right away. Atlanta may look at Planinic here, too.

Expect more unexpected dips, turns (6-17-03).

http://espn.go.com/nba/columns/stein_marc/1561959.html

Atlanta Hawks:

It's still unclear when new owner David McDavid will assume control of the franchise, and there's suddenly a possibility that his Fort Worth neighbor -- Dunleavy -- will be unavailable by the time McDavid gets the franchise. In that event, as covered last here Monday, he'd undoubtedly make a call to Dallas' Don Nelson and offer Nellie two jobs. Trouble there is, the likelihood still remains that Nelson and Mark Cuban will come together on a contract extension spanning at least two seasons, after Cuban insisted that talks would be put off until after the season and after Nelson himself admitted that moving elsewhere and starting over doesn't sound all that appealing at 63. "Nellie knows I want him back," Cuban said. As for Nelson's request to spend two weeks recharging at his offseason home in Maui, Cuban said: "He was cool with how I wanted to handle the contract during the year, so I'm cool with him taking some time." The good news for the Hawks, if they miss out on the big names, is that their interim coach proved more than capable. After a 3-12 start replacing Lon Kruger, and with even less to play for at that point, Terry Stotts took Atlanta to a 21-19 finish, validating the suggestions in Seattle and Milwaukee that he was head-coaching material.

jarvis_hayes_a.jpg

We could go after Slovenian National player Alexsander Vujacic. He's apparently looking for a first-round guarantee, but that could be worked around if we didn't want to chance the 21st pick on him (try to use the second rounder). He's a 6-6 PG, and I've heard that he is really good at seeing things develop on the court.

I hope that Hayes falls to the Hawks but it would seem to good to be true. I can see a team like the New Orleans Hornets getting only to ask the question what if .Snatched from the Hawks who generally do poor in the draft.My ultimate draft would be :

1,Jarvis Hayes 1st round

2.Travis Outlaw 2nd round

Both players would increase the Hawks athleticism tremendously.Next I would trade Glen Robinson so Hayes could play.It has been since Jason Terry that an impact player was drafted by the Hawks.SAR was traded to them for Gasol and Wright which was a bad deal.THis team needs impact players who can step up and show leadership and a go to player at the end of games. While SAR is still young I do not show the burning desire to lead a team and take it to the championship.I doubt if Hayes can but the Hawks need more athleticism and would be a good start to fixing a few problems on the Hawks.

I doubt if this would happen but think of how many players a team doesn't acquire becasue they are to far bak in the draft to get the player they want.Hypothetically if Diaw fell out of the first round could the Hawks trade there second round picks or another player to pick up Diaw? Diaw would pose alot of match up problems at 6'9 and maybe this team would start passing the ball better which is something even the 1980's teams of Dominque Wilkins didn't do well.

We all know this team needs to get more athletic and we need to get rid of Glen Robinson. Robinson puts up decent stats but he must pose problem with teammates (chemistry) since alot of teams are hesitant to trade for him.His defense is also shoddy which the Hawks must improve on to win.

If we could get Hayes and Diaw the Hawks would have 2 good defenders right there and if Theo stays another one.I doubt if ,management is bright enough or creative enough to make this happen since they have not had a decent GM in how many years?