• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks may have interest in Matt Carroll

txsting

This has Speedy Claxton written all over it. Remember when all the pressure on BK was to sign a PG. BK finally cave into the pressure and ended up signing Speedy just to shut everyone up. Well this deal remind me of that. It is BK basically saying "Ok, I will make a deal. Here is your deal now leave me alone." We need to make a move but it need to be an impact move. This isn't an impact move.

It's most definitely long term, with 5 more years after this year. It's not outrageous salary wise but considering his history of production and expectations of production here I would say he is probably overpaid and although I hate the years he has left on the deal he is young, has good size, and can really shot it and he desperately fills a need at backup SG. I wouldn't give the Bobcats much for him since we would be helping them out of a contract that they probably regret taking on and I would probably start with insisting upon them taking Speedy and Salim for him and see if they bite.

Quote:

The article gives a nice observation on Law too.

"Speaking of rookies, Hawks point guard Acie Law has major potential. Some dismissed him in college as a guy too preoccupied with scoring to be a true point guard. Not true. He has a speed dribble -- the ability to advance the ball quickly without losing control -- with a beautiful change of direction. That skill counts for more at the NBA level, where the game is played at such a high tempo." Observations | rick bonnell

Would someone send this to Woodson and play the kid at least 25 minutes a night? weeds.gif

I think that last night was Acie's break out game and he definitely responded with his best game as a pro. It sucks that the loss takes away from the game that he had but I am still very encouraged for the future with the way he was able to do almost anything he wanted offensively.

Man, if that is the going rate for 27 year old, one dimensional wings who come out of the NBDL (6 years starting at 5.5M) I don't want to ask what top-10 picks like Childress will be getting. I was hoping 7M would do it, but maybe it is more like 8? Depends on market and demand obviously.

I didn't weigh in on this, but I don't want any part of this unless they will take Speedy (ha).

Edit: speedy + salim is a really smart offer, Dolfan

Quote:

I think that last night was Acie's break out game and he definitely responded with his best game as a pro. It sucks that the loss takes away from the game that he had but I am still very encouraged for the future with the way he was able to do almost anything he wanted offensively.

I hope you are right and that Woody recognizes the kid can actually play. Has anyone noticed that the two players Woodson talked up the most over the past two summers are the guys he plays the least: Law and Sheldon? Both of those guys were picked because Woodson really liked them and they gave him an NBA ready guy to play. Yet, he doesn't use them. Kick_Can_emoticon.gif

That's the only way I could stomach his deal is by getting out from under Speedy's contract and at least getting some production from the combined salaries of he and Salim. Salim might actually do something in Charlotte, although I doubt it. Charlotte might hesitate to trade for Speedy and if they do I would tell them no deal. I think Carroll could help us on the court but first he would have to help us with Speedy's contract.

Carroll has an almost identical contract to Speedy, his is just longer. I wouldn't want to "get out" of Speedy's deal by taking on a longer deal with more money in it. Save the money and get a real player.

Yep that's the thing, do we risk Speedy retiring and hang onto his contract hoping he does and it frees up that money? What if he decides to try and keep playing but can't and then we are still stuck paying that money for another 2 years without getting any production. At the very least Carroll will finally give us a capable shooter to have on the floor when the offense is having trouble scoring and a capable backup to JJ to get him some rest.

I'm not crazy about trading for Carroll but we don't have a lot of options out there to improve the team this year.

Quote:

(sarcasm) Matt Caroll? Yipee! Here's a season ticket deposit, ASG! (/sarcasm) I think the money spent on a player like Matt Carroll would be better spent paying Mike Woodson not to coach.

Even the championship Bulls and Phil Jackson believe that you need a spot up shooter to be successful on offense.

The Bulls had Steve Kerr and Craig Hodges.

The Lakers have Derick Fisher and Vujic.

That is why the Surs keep Brent Barry around.

That is why the Heat wanted to keep Kapono and lost him in a bidding war to the Raptors.

Sure its not a blockbuster but it would help. Shooting 40% from 3 point land is like shooting 60 % on 2 pointers.....not to mention the balance it gives the offense and the respect it commands of the oppositions defense.