• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Did Woody get his "Pistons" starting unit?

mrhonline

• Premium Member

From "el el" over at Sekou's blog:

Quote:

I was just thinking about this, but doesn’t our starting lineup look eerily similar to Detroit’s starting five now (or at least a younger not as good version).

I mean we now have a veteran point guard who has a reputation for burying 3-point daggers into the heart of the opposing team.

A two guard with the endurance to a marathon who drives opposing defenses crazy with their skill and hustle.

A long-armed small forward with an almost automatic mid-range jumper.

A legitimate offense threat at power forward whose true value is the ability to change the game with his defense.

And an undersized center who offsets the fact that they are playing out of position with the simple fact that they are just stronger and tougher than most opposing centers.

Quote:

From "el el" over at Sekou's blog:

Quote:

I was just thinking about this, but doesn’t our starting lineup look eerily similar to Detroit’s starting five now (or at least a younger not as good version).

I mean we now have a veteran point guard who has a reputation for burying 3-point daggers into the heart of the opposing team.

A two guard with the endurance to a marathon who drives opposing defenses crazy with their skill and hustle.

A long-armed small forward with an almost automatic mid-range jumper.

A legitimate offense threat at power forward whose true value is the ability to change the game with his defense.

And an undersized center who offsets the fact that they are playing out of position with the simple fact that they are just stronger and tougher than most opposing centers.

Interesting comments there. Detroit is really something special though. They may be old as hell, but they play great team basketball. We have not learned that concept yet. Detroit's defense is stifling...ours is not. They dictate how a game is played...we usually bow down to the opponent's. Their coaching is very good...ours leaves a lot to be desired.

We are a fairly young team that has nice pieces. We just have to play team basketball and play within ourselves. We must capitalize our strengths, dictate how the game will be played, and execute all the time.

If we can do that, then maybe, maybe we can superficially compare ourselves to the Detroit Pistons.

let's rate this:

billups = bibby (it's any given night who is better)

hamilton

prince > williams (older and wiser; similar game, but prince's game is more refined

wallace = smith (wallace is older and more refined, but josh has way more upside being only 22)

mcdyess

There bench is much better than ours, but i can see how they are similar to us.

Good thread!!!!!!!!

One Nation; Hawkz Nation!

• Premium Member

Quote:

There bench is much better than ours, but i can see how they are similar to us.

Far better I'm afraid.

The next step is for Knight to prove he can surround the Hawks' starters with the right kind of talent off the bench. Without draft picks and only Law and Zaza guaranteed to return next year, it will be tough.

You really have to compare thinking of Ben Wallace as center if you are saying he's undersized but stronger and outhustles opponents. When you do that, the centers are around equal, maybe favoring Detroit. Smoove may have more upside, but he can't coverup for Horford's undersizing like Sheed can. So really, we probably win the SG comparision, lose the rest. Defensively we are WAY weaker. Still, good post and it's interesting when you consider Woody's relationship to Detroit.

T. Prince is long, rangy, has a reliable spot-up jumper beyond the 3 point line, has a knack for hitting the big shot and a knack for doing whatever it is that the Pistons need to win a game. He is also quick enough to guard people in space and with his massive wingspan can bother and influence even jumpshots. He also is a reliable and resourceful finisher around the basket.

Marvin Williams is, well, Marvin Williams. I like the kid but he has absolutely no explosiveness, is not a good on-ball defender and does not block shots. He's not strong or big enough to create space in the paint and cant elevate to finish over people either. He likes to pat the ball on the perimeter but lacks the quickness to go by anybody. His handle, while much improved, is still a liability and he has a knack for losing the ball in key situations late in games.

He has a pretty smooth mid-range jump shot, but is not a good 3 point shooter (one area I expect him to improve upon with that fluid stroke he has, but that will be done in the offseason).

I'd say comparing Marvin to Prince is a reach, at best. We also lack the sharpshooting and scoring threat coming off the bench that D-troit has in Jarvis Hayes. Interesting thread, though.

Why do we always talk about the Pistons? Woody was only there a few years. It's not like he built them. Geez, look at the rest of his coaching and playing record. It ain't pretty folks. We're the Hawks, not the Pistons. We'll never be the Pistons. Woody had very little, if anything, to do with that chemistry.