• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

Hawks need to see 'meaner' Marvin

HAWKS1986

Statistically, Marvin is averaging 16 points a game, but I have seen him sort of go back into his shell. Where is that same aggressiveness he had when he played in Seattle a few weeks ago... THIS has to be his breakout year...Marvin has to fill that leadership and production void while Bibby is getting familar with this new team and if JJ is struggling, Marvin has to be more aggressive and take advantage of mis-matches, get to the FT line and assert his will on the game..

Van Gundy challenged Dwight Howard, but someone needs to challenge Marvin as well...

We need to see a 'meaner', more determined and focus Marvin-- RIGHT NOW!

He has been regressing as the season went along. I am not sure what happen to him. He need to quit being a rookie. This is his 3rd year in the league. Time to man up or else this team won't make the playoffs. If they don't make the playoffs Marvin might be the first one ship out of town once the new GM take over.

Woody is an idiot. Marvin came out very aggresive yesterday and was hitting some shots at the beginning. What does Woody do?? Takes Marvin out and puts in Chillz. The game had a very good flow to it until Woody decides to mess it up by subsituting. Can't he wait until the around the 2 minute mark to start subbing?????

Quote:

Statistically, Marvin is averaging 16 points a game, but I have seen him sort of go back into his shell. Where is that same aggressiveness he had when he played in Seattle a few weeks ago

Actually what i see is the opposit. If anything Marvin has been getting more aggressive and trying things that he ordinarily wouldn't. He has been looking to shoot more often and has kept shooting even when he is missing. He didn't do that before.

His big problem is that he just can't take contact. I don't think that will ever change and that hurts him when he drives.

On the plus side i have seen him pulling up for short jumpers and floaters lately. He has made some of them but a lot of them are bouncing off the back rim. it will probably take him awhile to get the hang of it since it is new to him.

I think Marvin is being aggessive but just doesn't have the tools to effectively take his man off the dribble and score with out running over them. He needs to get with some old veteran guys like Smoove this summer and work on his overall game. I am giving him 1 more season after that, if he hasn't became a good player by then I would trade him.

Quote:

I think Marvin is being aggessive but just doesn't have the tools to effectively take his man off the dribble and score with out running over them. He needs to get with some old veteran guys like Smoove this summer and work on his overall game. I am giving him 1 more season after that, if he hasn't became a good player by then I would trade him.

And how long do you think he will have any value???

Quote:

Woody is an idiot. Marvin came out very aggresive yesterday and was hitting some shots at the beginning. What does Woody do?? Takes Marvin out and puts in Chillz. The game had a very good flow to it until Woody decides to mess it up by subsituting. Can't he wait until the around the 2 minute mark to start subbing?????

Woody is an idiot-- I admit.. However, Marvin has to show maturity and 'overcome bad coaching', maintain his intensity/focus and when he gets in the game, he has to make plays...

Marvin has to recognize mis-matches, attack the rim with purpose from beginning to end.. not the first few minutes of the game.. this is where his development hits that bump in the road..

Marvin averages 36 minutes a game right now...but the effort isn't there for the full 36 minutes..

for people to accept? Yes, Woody could sit him (and JJ for that matter) but the bottom line is that you have to play through injuries in the NBA. Some injuries are more limiting than others and some players do a better job of remainig effective when injured. All I know is that both Marvin and JJ are both dealing with injuries where they got kneed in the thigh and both have struggled SIGNIFCANTLY with their movement. Shaq's injury may have been more severe, but he missed a LOT of games with the same type of injury last year. In addition, while both Marvin and JJ are above average athletes for their size/weight, neither guy is a next level athlete like Smoove so when they are slowed, it is MUCH more obvious than it is when guys like Kobe, D Wade, Vince Carter or Smoove get injured.

I admire both Marvin and JJ for playing through their injuries without complaining and when they get healthy, I have no doubt that both will go back to being the players that I know they are.

• Moderators

I think people are right that Marvin is playing hurt right now but people are also right when they say he needs to be more aggressive. I would obviously like to see the scoring keep rising but it is the peripherals that I measure for Marvin success. He needs to put up a minimum of 10 combined RB, AST, ST & BLK every night and average more like 11 or 12. He can do more if he asserts himself more when he isn't shooting.