• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

THE SNIPER

bumpyphish1

Yes, we are watching the same game. He looked a lot better out there than he used to. He started chucking a bit at the end, but he generally deferred quite a bit and looked decent. Just about every player is going to look bad with someone draped all over you. And yes, I know he was playing the point when he was in there...that was obvious.

I don't want to get into a big thing about it, but I just don't understand where all the "play Salim" stuff comes from. I do think that the Hawks are the wrong team for him, and he needs to find a team where he can have a role like Steve Kerr had on the Bulls. But that's the extent of his ability. We're playing one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA, and you guys are making a fuss about a completely unimpressive performance. He shoots 6 times in 9 minutes (not chucking?) and doesn't have a single assist. His defense was the usual: lots of gambling which sometimes pay off with a steal but more often than not results in an easy bucket for the other team. I also saw one GS player (not sure which) just shoot right over him because he doesn't have the size to defend bigger guards.

I was overstating it when I said he looked awful out there, but I was watching the game and thinking "Salim sure isn't impressing with his minutes" and was really surprised to see everybody praising his performance on here.

Quote:

I don't want to get into a big thing about it, but I just don't understand where all the "play Salim" stuff comes from. I do think that the Hawks are the wrong team for him, and he needs to find a team where he can have a role like Steve Kerr had on the Bulls. But that's the extent of his ability. We're playing one of the worst defensive teams in the NBA, and you guys are making a fuss about a completely unimpressive performance. He shoots 6 times in 9 minutes (not chucking?) and doesn't have a single assist. His defense was the usual: lots of gambling which sometimes pay off with a steal but more often than not results in an easy bucket for the other team. I also saw one GS player (not sure which) just shoot right over him because he doesn't have the size to defend bigger guards.

I was overstating it when I said he looked awful out there, but I was watching the game and thinking "Salim sure isn't impressing with his minutes" and was really surprised to see everybody praising his performance on here.

Hating just for hating sake is just so damn corny.

• Premium Member

Quote:

Quote:

Hating just for hating sake is just so damn corny.

Thankyou. Salim played great tonight in his first significant opportunity of the season.

As Woody said in the post game conference, Salim earned an opportunity to remain in the rotation tonight. Until now, he had not earned that opportunity. He doesn't have to be perfect, but tonight he didn't hurt the team, probably for the first time this year. I hope he keeps it up. We need him to contribute on a consistent basis.

Quote:

& against one of the worst defensive teams Marvin was 2-11 although he scored 10 pts.....salim played solid,why cant we just give the man his props, geez

• Premium Member

Because people hate to admit when they're wrong about something. I keep hearing people calling Salim a "cancer" or saying that he hurts the team when he's on the floor. Yet, he gets praised by the coaching staff for his work ethic and rarely gets on the floor in the first place. It just seems that when people make their mind up about a player, that's it. If Marvin had 18 pts tonight, the lovefest would be in full swing. Hey, ALL of these guys are Atlanta Hawks guys.

I don't think Salim is by any means a cancer, but I do think it's overstating it to say that he's earned significant playing time. The guy is shooting 30% from the floor this season and 28% from beyond the arc. I don't care if you're not getting consistent PT--that's just terrible for a guy whose best skill is supposed to be shooting.

He's got to realize that his limited skill set means he's never going to be a guy who gets 25 minutes a game in the NBA. If he wants to establish a career, he needs to be able to come into games for limited minutes, make shots, and not do anything bone-headed.

I would say that tonight was a move in the right direction. Teams that play crappy D like G-State are the perfect teams for Salim to get minutes against because he's more likely to get wide open shots. I certainly wouldn't want to see him get minutes against the Spurs or Pistons.

Quote:

Salim finally decided to drive the ball instead of taking so many outside shots when he gets the ball in his hand. I think that is why he had a good game tonight unlike most nights.

I think he had a good game tonight because unlike all other nights this season, he actually got to play and wasn't yanked after two minutes.