• Current Donation Goals

• Raised $390 of $700 target

It's Now on FRONT PAGE of SPORTS

JackB1

It's been updated too: here's a record of it in case they keep changing the story:

Hawks GM failed three times to fire Woodson

Ownership refused to release coach during All-Star Weekend

By SEKOU SMITH

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 02/28/08

Hawks General Manager Billy Knight wanted to fire head coach Mike Woodson two weeks ago — but the owners refused.

Knight recommended Woodson be replaced by assistant coach Larry Drew after the team traded for point guard Mike Bibby on Feb. 16, during the NBA's All-Star Weekend.

Your Turn

Who should go first -- Mike Woodson or the Hawks' ownership?

Woodson. He's had enough time to win.

The owners. They've made a lot of bad moves.

Doesn't matter at this point. They all should go.

Let everyone stay. The playoffs are within reach.

Voter Limit: Once per Hour

View Poll Results

RELATED STORIES

* Hawks GM failed three times to fire Woodson

* Hawks still waiting prognosis on Law's wrist

* Bibby leads Hawks past his previous team

More Hawks coverage

One of the Hawks owners, Michael Gearon Jr., confirmed Knight's desire to fire Woodson, but would not say why Woodson has been retained.

"We wouldn't get into that publicly," Gearon said. "And no one is more private in these matters than Billy."

It was not the first time Knight wanted to fire Woodson, two people familiar with the situation told the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. On two previous occasions Knight sought permission to fire Woodson, the two people familiar with the situation said. Gearon said he would neither "confirm nor deny" those conversations took place.

"We evaluate every facet of our organization on a daily basis to determine what we need to do to get better," Gearon said.

Knight declined comment on Thursday.

Woodson insisted Thursday that he's never been approached about being fired. He was relaxing in his office after practice and said he would be glad to talk about his team and their preparations for Friday night's game against New York at Philips Arena.

Anything related to his job he refused to discuss.

"I'm the coach of this team until someone tells me otherwise," said Woodson, who has compiled a 91-209 (.303) record since taking over the Hawks before the start of the 2004-05 season. "I'm going to get these guys ready to play and we're going to keep plugging away at this playoff chase. Because we're right there."

The Hawks, 23-32, are currently in ninth place in the standings and a game behind New Jersey for the eighth and final Eastern Conference playoff slot.

Woodson's job security has become a greater issue since the team's 9-19 slide to start 2008.

The Hawks own the NBA's longest playoff drought, eight seasons, and are in position for a postseason berth this late in the season for the first time in nine years.

After starting this season with a promising 15-13 record, the Hawks have been unable to maintain any consistency, winning consecutive games just three times since the Christmas.

With every ugly stretch of losses, the calls for Woodson's head have grown increasingly louder.

"I would also tell you that we added a piece in Mike Bibby that we were lacking, a piece that gives us some offensive balance to [Hawks captain and All-Star] Joe [Johnson], Gearon said.

However, the situation is to the point that players can no longer ignore them.

"It's been kind of hard to ignore all the talk because you know in a situation when you're not winning a lot somebody always has to go, and unfortunately it's usually the coach," Johnson said. "With that being said, I think everyone agrees that getting Mike [bibby] in that trade certainly helps us.

"The only bad thing is that we got him right before our West[stern Conference] road trip and that's a tough spot for anybody to be in. But now that we've got a chance to get back home and refocus with everybody on the same page, we have an opportunity to get back on track. And I don't think there's any doubt that we're a team capable of making that push to get to the playoffs."

BK hired a coach with a defensive approach to the game who seems to be 1/2-court oriented when it comes to the offense. Then he went out and drafted players that didn't really fit that type of system. Then things didn't work and he wanted to fire the coach. WTF?

Of course the ASG isn't blameless by any means - or Woody. Also, as I 've said before, Speedy has been the nail in the coffin (or the straw that is breaking the camel's back). If he were to have started this year healthy like Bernie said he would - and stayed healthy - we would be considerably better off record-wise.

Interestingly...If Speedy were to be able to come back strong NEXT year we could easily be in the catbird's seat PG-wise next year. A quality offensive starter in Bibby and a solid defensive backup in Speedy off the bench. Acie could get minutes at PG when available (there will be dings here and there) and also play some 2-guard while he develops.

If it was BK blaming his coach and Woody blaming the lack of a quality PG - I'm not sure I can blame ASG for agreeing with Woody. detective.gif